• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you both, I guess 1 and 2 will do, though it's a bit disappointing about tactics since SRPGs are my favorite lol

If you like the genre I'd say give it a try! Not like it's very expensive, and some fans like it a lot. But Fallout 1 and 2 already kind of play like a delicious SRPG hyrbid anyway, and I'd say play those first.

The last places
You can make a winner, but can you really bring all other four teams to the same score? Why would you even want to do that. Chance? Two days in a row almost the whole day with four teams being at rougly the same score? Absurd, I say.

The giant score of first place
If you see you're winning, why wouly you make such a gap? A buffer, sure, but Green had more than double yesterday and Pink has almost THREETIMES the scrore of the next place and with that is almost as strong as three teams. And its not because the others slacking off, Pink has way already more points than Green yesterday.
You only need 1 pt. You don't get mroe chances with more pts you bring in. Why would they craft so much?

Actually, neither of these are that surprising. If the losing teams have all "given up", then their scores should be going up by roughly the same amount due to the random noise of random crafting. Since there's thousands upon thousands of transactions taking place and there's a full 24 hour cycle, you're going to see score rates going up almost exactly the same "mean" noise rate on each of the losing teams. There might even be a small "catch up" evening-out factor as the team in last place doesn't want to be "last", even though it doesn't actually matter, which packs in the losing 4 teams.

As for why the "winning" team keeps going up even after it's clear they've won, that can be a combination of people crafting badges who aren't even really paying attention to the game, people logging in for the first time that cycle and crafting to get their points, and (probably the biggest driver), people who don't realize that the giveaway is random, and think that the more points they contribute the better chance they have to win. I mean, think about the average Steam user, as evidenced by the steam message boards and whatnot. You think most of them really understand how this game works? Heck, even people in this thread are screwing up the rules all the time.

sleepykyo

Tomb Raider is still tempting me. Quick, someone talk me out of it.

it is a shallow shooter with simplistic puzzles, mediocre gunplay and even worse writing. The game does have the all the basic modern conventions (health regen, collectibles, leveling/upgrades), but doesn't excel in any area nor bring anything new to the table.

Knurek

For those who missed the last weeks deal, Might & Magic X: Legacy is 66% off @ MacGameStore

Deluxe Edition, so it nets you both the DLC and Might & Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven (only way to get the game on Steam).

Two notes for potential buyers:

1. Game was 75% off last week, so if you don't plan on playing right now, you might wait for repeat of that.
2. Game uses Uplay (for activation/DLC unlocking).

MadGear

Booster packs are rare as fuck. Their drop rate is designed to make you spend money on cards if you want to participate in badging. I'm a level 60 user with booster eligibility in 123 games and I get a pack maybe once every 7 - 10 days.

Wow, that frequent? Granted I'm only lvl 12 but so far i have only received a single booster. As a reaction to this I'm not interested in this Card Trading and Badge Crafting at all and I actually crafted my first badge during this sale to be eligible for the free games giveaway as part of the winning team :D

Haunted

I <3 Steam Community

eHH26Lu.jpg
Don't worry guy, once Team Purple has won its second day as scheduled, operation #purpletakeover is going to ramp up.

Lomax

Tinfoil hat time. What if Valve created this event to get people to craft a lot of badges, and then disabled booster packs, as a way to reduce excess supply of cards in the market (as well as cards being hoarded) in order to drive up card prices?

My level 8 girlfriend got her first booster pack ever yesterday, and I've gotten two since the sale started (I'm level 33).

Locust

Noticed Gatling Gears has had its name changed to Gatling Gears Vanguard (suppose they're readying it for self-published re-release after the EA deal ended).

Thought I'd finally try it out, but no such luck:
ONQhKpE.png

Even the community hub is disabled :v

Now that's what I call a flash sale. Every other flash sale has been terrible, except for Skullgirls being $3. Too bad I have all the games in the flash, but I still think it's good.

Brofist

Why do these sales seem like they've been underwhelming me the last year or so? Always the same handful of games that have been on sale 1000x before. Is there still anyone looking for a deal on Borderlands 2?

Why do these sales seem like they've been underwhelming me the last year or so? Always the same handful of games that have been on sale 1000x before.

I felt the same way with the last few sales. For some reason this one doesn't feel that way though. Can't really explain why. Maybe it's the team thing they have going on now. Easy to make some credit selling those cards.

Ruruja

Why do these sales seem like they've been underwhelming me the last year or so? Always the same handful of games that have been on sale 1000x before. Is there still anyone looking for a deal on Borderlands 2?

You see what you want to see. There haven't been a huge amount of quality titles released since the last sale.

MGRR and Banished are 2 examples of new games that have been on sale. I'm sure there are more.

liezryou

Because as you get more and more games, the less games you get to buy on sale. And the more smarter you get about buying games. I think there is a name for this effect in economics but i can't remember it at the moment.

Deitus

Booster packs are rare as fuck. Their drop rate is designed to make you spend money on cards if you want to participate in badging. I'm a level 60 user with booster eligibility in 123 games and I get a pack maybe once every 7 - 10 days.

While it's true Booster Packs are rare, they are specifically driven by badge crafting. So with people crafting tens of thousands of badges over the course of this event, you would think that would translate into a higher rate of Booster Packs.

Of course it's possible that there is actually a higher rate of Booster Packs, and its just anecdotal evidence that suggests otherwise. In fact, I suspect that is the case. But sometimes it's fun to speculate.

Yrael

Thanks a lot for this awesome game!

I got SSZ. Thank you! Been wanting to try it out!

No worries! ^_^

There's still HOARD left for anyone who wants it:

Edit: Taken!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

HOARD -- MB-10BAA2583B5E24B1 - Taken by zeroOman
Strike Suit Zero -- MB-79FCF45C40450E39 - Taken by Deadly
Joe Danger 2: The Movie -- MB-5AA73A718801A360 - Taken by angular graphics

A) it's always someone's first steam sale. Your "bust" is another man's 5th steam game.

B) steam is no longer the only great place to get games available for the platform. Between the humble bundles/store, amazon, GMG, Russian traders, gamersgate, etc...there are now at least half a dozen decent places selling steam games year round at prices similar to even below steam's own sale prices.

C) there's only so many times you can buy borderlands 2.

You German, bruder?

Yas, diz iz ze deutsche stiiim uzah.

You guys can ask any US GAFfer for assistance to help you get region locked games (And/or get games cheaper vs euro prices). Just add me or a innumerable amount of people, we would be glad to help.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xxgozitaxx/

I send you friend request. Would like to have following:
Dead Island GOTY, Contagion and Nether. The last two are available here but it's cheaper in US-region.

How do you check whether it's region-locked, though?

Lomax

Given that it's been number one on the best sellers list all day, I'd say yes. Plus this is the first time the GotY edition has been below $10 on Steam.

And as has been said many times, everyone is always chasing the dragon of their first steam sale. All sales afterwards will always disappoint.

My only complaint is that I think they should have increased the base number of sales to at least 12. There's many many more games on Steam now than there were even this time last year. At least they did increase the number of community choice sales from 1 to 4.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To those who are having issues with Enhanced Steam this morning, in regards to wishlist highlighting and "x friends own" and "x friends want" tags, it seems that Valve is returning incorrect information from the "appuserdetails" API after a certain quota of requests per second are returned.

So unfortunately, these features will probably have to be removed in the next version of Enhanced Steam.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

It's an overflow of crazy bundle deals and firesale prices after a game's release. You tend to pick up something for way cheaper just months after it's released.

That leads to less than spectacular values when the big sales roll in, unfortunately.

x Misogi

Friendly Reminder; ending soon!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Swapper -- MB-9AEE797F3C2676E4 - Taken by xewind. 26 entrants total.
Batman Arkham City GOTY -- MB-7666E53E69C41F42 - Taken by Scorpion Soldier. 25 entrants total.
Scribblenauts Unlimited -- MB-443E9F85F4FFA31D - Taken by jmizzal. 27 entrants total.
Monaco What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-5B3B000513B16CDA - Taken by Mundharmonika. 16 entrants total.
Starseed Pilgrim -- MB-67A6B42CA80C2F00 - Taken by Seraphis Cain. 6 entrants total.
Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams -- MB-65878DAEA3687AB7 - Taken by Arren. 7 entrants total.
Dust An Elysian Tail -- MB-9922D46B5A6D42A1 - Taken by scoobidoo112. 6 entrants total.
Mirrors Edge -- MB-B3E10AEF67799455 - Taken by MikeDown. 15 entrants total.
Beatbuddy Tale of the Guardians -- MB-939EC62ADDC2300F - Taken by Fornaximus. 2 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-AD6AA00056125AC2 - Taken by Mr. Smith. 9 entrants total.

t1403539863z1.png

I still find things to buy, but not a whole lot. Considering Borderlands 2 GOTY is the #1 seller at the moment, followed by Skyrim in 2nd, there are still people out there who don't own these sale staples.

If you participate in sales year after year, they become less valuable to you since you already own everything.

Deitus

My level 8 girlfriend got her first booster pack ever yesterday, and I've gotten two since the sale started (I'm level 33).

And there you go. Conspiracy busted.

But still, is there any way to prove that they actually give out booster packs every time a badge is crafted? Huh? Huh?

I'm mostly joking.

yuraya

While it's true Booster Packs are rare, they are specifically driven by badge crafting. So with people crafting tens of thousands of badges over the course of this event, you would think that would translate into a higher rate of Booster Packs.

The more people craft badges the bigger the eligibility pool gets. So technically nothing changes. In fact you can make a case that your chances of getting a booster will actually decrease for certain games during these types of events.

Volcynika

But still, is there any way to prove that they actually give out booster packs every time a badge is crafted? Huh? Huh?

I'm mostly joking.

Yeah, and I got an Eversion booster pack shortly after selling an Eversion card. COINCIDENCE? (Probably)

Volimar

I voted for Strategy - Action. I figure with all the praise people have heaped on Transistor, people should get a good shot at a discount.

To those who are having issues with Enhanced Steam this morning, in regards to wishlist highlighting and "x friends own" and "x friends want" tags, it seems that Valve is returning incorrect information from the "appuserdetails" API after a certain quota of requests per second are returned.

So unfortunately, these features will probably have to be removed in the next version of Enhanced Steam.

Do you think they did that consciously instead of just working with you on a solution?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it possible to redeem an american wolfenstein key in the restricted countries?

The only restricted country is Germany, and the ROW sub is region-locked at the runtime level. To play the game you'd need to either use a VPN or the app id trick, although the latter would break Steamworks integration (which in the case of a purely SP game just means no achievements).

Of course it's possible that there is actually a higher rate of Booster Packs, and its just anecdotal evidence that suggests otherwise. In fact, I suspect that is the case. But sometimes it's fun to speculate.

Well I got a booster last night. If I get another one before the sale ends, then drop rates have probably risen, even if only temporarily.

Lomax

I'm mostly joking.

I've honestly never seen anything official that says that, it seems like a reasonable theory but I don't know that there's any actual evidence it is the case. Maybe someone can post to an official steam post but I remember that being assumed way back in the trading card beta but I have no idea where it came from.

Time to play, is it worth playing ?! and its asking price ?

How much do you value your time, or how much average free time do you have daily? How much income do you have/savings? Is this an expense that is trivial or not? On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you feel about survival games in particular? What is competing for the time you would spend on this game?

As you can see, there are a number of factors at play here, some only you can answer.

Life can be tough, and part of life is sometimes taking on responsibility for a major decision like this.

Spend some time meditating on the decision, and I'm sure you'll make the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom