• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more people craft badges the bigger the eligibility pool gets. So technically nothing changes. In fact you can make a case that your chances of getting a booster will actually decrease for certain games during these types of events.

Actually yeah, this makes sense. People become eligible for booster packs when you log into Steam. More people can get boosters.

Shocker: Steam Summer Sale saliently sets suitable suitors skyrocketing. Surprising situation!

I've honestly never seen anything official that says that, it seems like a reasonable theory but I don't know that there's any actual evidence it is the case. Maybe someone can post to an official steam post but I remember that being assumed way back in the trading card beta but I have no idea where it came from.

I'm pretty sure the Trading Card FAQ still says that "as more people make badges, the more boosters will be sent" or something to that effect, but it's not a hard-set rule.

Chariot

I think it was inevitable really. At best you get something like day two where two teams stay neck and neck for the whole day. But people very quickly figure out what is optimal, and most people's real interest is only going to be in the first couple of days anyway.

I think the biggest problem is the ability to change teams. It really eliminates any motivation for people to fight to win, they can just switch. Also, the tokens are just too powerful. It allows a few people to contribute points equal to thousands and thousands of normal badges.
Yeah, that change tokens are just stupid. It would've also helped if teams were mixed new every day. The potatoe thing and the first sale with cards were far more fun.

Actually, neither of these are that surprising. If the losing teams have all "given up", then their scores should be going up by roughly the same amount due to the random noise of random crafting. Since there's thousands upon thousands of transactions taking place and there's a full 24 hour cycle, you're going to see score rates going up almost exactly the same "mean" noise rate on each of the losing teams. There might even be a small "catch up" evening-out factor as the team in last place doesn't want to be "last", even though it doesn't actually matter, which packs in the losing 4 teams.

As for why the "winning" team keeps going up even after it's clear they've won, that can be a combination of people crafting badges who aren't even really paying attention to the game, people logging in for the first time that cycle and crafting to get their points, and (probably the biggest driver), people who don't realize that the giveaway is random, and think that the more points they contribute the better chance they have to win. I mean, think about the average Steam user, as evidenced by the steam message boards and whatnot. You think most of them really understand how this game works? Heck, even people in this thread are screwing up the rules all the time.
You're making a lot assumptions, too. But that's the only thing we can make. No matter how you and I think that things make sense or how much I made diagramms - we lack the important facts behind the system. It's maybe just my frustration with a broken game that promised some kind of fun and with results that just look so WRONG.
It doesn't matter essentially, everything we want are cheap games, aye?

Volimar

A pack you can unpack and then receive three cards.

8j9jZcx.gif

Tesseract

Banned
nether is awesome, it's the most polished of all the early access survivalist mmo roguelike griefing simulators, please buy it.

$3 is a steal.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do you think they did that consciously instead of just working with you on a solution?

Yeah, I do. I'm not sure if it was their intention to return the incorrect information, but I'm certain that they've done this to cut down on their server load, even though I spent all day yesterday improving the caching that's done by Enhanced Steam that will significantly cut down on their server load once it's released.

Hopefully I can continue working with them on this so that (at the very least) the correct data can be returned.

If anyone is interested in the technical details of my findings, they're here.

Not from Steam, no. TWAS and TWD1&2 never asked me to create a telltale account or to log into one.
Hmm, I got it to work after I restarted Steam a couple of times. Problem seems to be that most of the time the games start without the Steam overlay and when it do a Telltale account is required. But if I'm lucky (usually after a Steam restart or two) it starts with the overlay and then it works without asking for a Telltale account.

Deitus

The more people craft badges the bigger the eligibility pool gets. So technically nothing changes. In fact you can make a case that your chances of getting a booster will actually decrease for certain games during these types of events.

I'm not following your logic here. Why would the eligibility pool increase by people crafting badges? You mean because they are higher Steam level? I guess that would be a factor, but not a drastic change since even the people who get really into this competition are unlikely to shoot up 40 levels overnight.

The bigger factor would be people owning a bunch of new games due to the Steam sale, and becoming eligible for Booster packs on those games (though that isn't any different than any other Steam sale).

Lomax

Yeah, that change tokens are just stupid. It would've also helped if teams were mixed new every day. The potatoe thing and the first sale with cards were far more fun.

We all miss Coal. I don't really see any reason they couldn't bring Coal back, the only real issue was the 1 cent humble bundles, and with the $1 minimum that exists everywhere now, that wouldn't be as much of a problem. I guess it requires a large level of effort and coordination from Valve though, which seems pretty unlikely these days.

Sarcasm

nether is awesome, it's the most polished of all the early access survivalist mmo roguelike griefing simulators, please buy it.

$3 is a steal.

Seriously? I can't purchase something with such extreme - and + on it...lol

Do crates really drop and you need to buy keys?

Volimar

Yeah, I do. I'm not sure if it was their intention to return the incorrect information, but I'm certain that they've done to cut down on their server load, even though I spent all day yesterday improving the caching that's done by Enhanced Steam that will significantly cut down on their server load once it's released.

Hopefully I can continue working with them on this so that (at the very least) the correct data can be returned.

If anyone is interested in the technical details of my findings, they're here.

That's really unfortunate. I hope they come around to working this out with you.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
We all miss Coal. I don't really see any reason they couldn't bring Coal back, the only real issue was the 1 cent humble bundles, and with the $1 minimum that exists everywhere now, that wouldn't be as much of a problem. I guess it requires a large level of effort and coordination from Valve though, which seems pretty unlikely these days.

They've basically got around the exploit people were using to get free coal by requiring a certain Steam level to participate. For example, you can get free Summer Sale cards, but only if you're level 8 or higher. I've made about $5 selling my extra Summer Sale cards - it's probably rather have an extra (free) $5 for the sale than Christmas Coal anyway.

After playing both dead islands on PS3 i am ready to play it on PC this should be a delight.

Is the co-op still functioning in the first dead island ?

Rezae

For those who missed the last weeks deal, Might & Magic X: Legacy is 66% off @ MacGameStore

Deluxe Edition, so it nets you both the DLC and Might & Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven (only way to get the game on Steam).

Two notes for potential buyers:

1. Game was 75% off last week, so if you don't plan on playing right now, you might wait for repeat of that.
2. Game uses Uplay (for activation/DLC unlocking).

Is this only compatible on Macs or would it work on PCs too?

jshackles

That's really unfortunate. I hope they come around to working this out with you.

Yeah, me too. At least we're fortunate enough that the "is_owned" data being returned is correct, otherwise I'd have to remove one of Enhanced Steam's best features.

Sera O

Banned
This No Team Left Behind alliance has made the sale pretty boring now. I think it's just that it no longer distracts me from how little of this sale I've been interested in so far.

However on the flip-side, the rantings of whoever runs the green 2014 steam group (all can be summarized as "Okay let me tell you my secret plan that everyone else is already aware of: WIN!") and then the wry "what could possibly go wrong" responses are kind of entertaining.

I hope it turns into a free-for-all again.

yuraya

I'm not following your logic here. Why would the eligibility pool increase by people crafting badges? You mean because they are higher Steam level? I guess that would be a factor, but not a drastic change since even the people who get really into this competition are unlikely to shoot up 40 levels overnight.

The bigger factor would be people owning a bunch of new games due to the Steam sale, and becoming eligible for Booster packs on those games (though that isn't any different than any other Steam sale).

The only way you can be eligible for a pack is if you idle/play until you get all drops for a certain game. People crafting a lot of badges during this sale means they either idled for cards or bought cards from people who idled. All of it results in eligibility pool growing.

Erekiddo

I have a few friends who absolutely love Fallout Tactics. I only got it recently because I was really, really annoyed at the time that it wasn't an RPG (Fallout 1&2 are among my favorite games ever made and I was stubborn) and then sort of forgot about it. I'll have to install the copy I got from GOG one of these days.

edit:

Most of the flash and community sales have had associated games on a higher discount when part of a series. It's a smart idea to check the publisher page or just look for older games if you're interested in them and see a related game featured. Only so much space on the front page.

Ahh, got it. I was waiting for a price drop on both Fallout ultimate editions and almost missed Fallout 3, had it not been for a post by someone here.

Chariot

For me the game sales are... eh, terrible so far. I was having way more fun with the competition gifs in here.
Well, at some point the library is so full of stuff that there a just a few cheap games of interest. I enjoyed the competition at the beginning. With people cheering for their teams and spiting the others. The posts and pictures where hillarious. But that's all gone now. All that's left is to congratulate the obvious winners.

I don't think that they can't do it. They just don't need to, people throwing money anyways.

Deitus

I've honestly never seen anything official that says that, it seems like a reasonable theory but I don't know that there's any actual evidence it is the case. Maybe someone can post to an official steam post but I remember that being assumed way back in the trading card beta but I have no idea where it came from.

You're right. The official wording says that booster packs are awarded as badges are crafted, but it doesn't say how many are awarded, or how many badges need to be crafted.

And if I have been coming off as a crazy person, there is a reason I framed my first post on the subject with "tinfoil hat time". It was just an off the wall conspiracy theory.

That being said, I don't think Valve is above market manipulation. Ultimately, they take a cut from every sale, so it's in their best interest to keep the sales flowing. If they could drive up prices as well as increasing sales, they probably would, but they certainly aren't going to do anything to kill demand for cards.

marrec

Banned
Alright, so I was able to add 3 of the 5 M&Ms cards I won... still experimenting with the other two to find out what's wrong with them.

Strange things are afoot in my Steam Account.

iosefe

As a huge Mass Effect fan I am totally happy that they offer ALL Mass Effect games on Steam. Too bad they never made a third Mass Effect.

Hey, have you seen The Matrix?

Alright, so I was able to add 3 of the 5 M&Ms cards I won... still experimenting with the other two to find out what's wrong with them.

Strange things are afoot in my Steam Account.

i could test one of those for ya...

The only way you can be eligible for a pack is if you idle/play until you get all drops for a certain game. People crafting a lot of badges during this sale means they either idled for cards or bought cards from people who idled. All of it results in eligibility pool growing.

Also your base booster eligibility is based on if you logged into Steam within a certain unknown time period (probably the last week). Summer Sales are when everyone logs into Steam, even the on/off users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom