• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsylumX

This No Team Left Behind alliance has made the sale pretty boring now. I think it's just that it no longer distracts me from how little of this sale I've been interested in so far.

However on the flip-side, the rantings of whoever runs the green 2014 steam group (all can be summarized as "Okay let me tell you my secret plan that everyone else is already aware of: WIN!" and then the wry "what could possibly go wrong" responses are kind of entertaining.

I hope it turns into a free-for-all again.

I think everything will change when at least 2 teams won twice. They'll be like, "we have nothing to lose now, fuck it". *Throws money at Steam*

Lomax

They've basically got around the exploit people were using to get free coal by requiring a certain Steam level to participate. For example, you can get free Summer Sale cards, but only if you're level 8 or higher. I've made about $5 selling my extra Summer Sale cards - it's probably rather have an extra (free) $5 for the sale than Christmas Coal anyway.

Yeah, and they could put Coal on the market now. I traded my coal for a couple of games that year, though I've definitely made more on the cards each of these past three sales.

Just want to toss my personal thanks out there for Enhanced Steam, I've been forced to do all my Steam stuff on my tablet this sale and it makes me miss ES so much. I so wish mobile Chrome supported plugins.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is farming simulator good? For context, I like farming games like harvest moon and I love sim games like Euro Truck.

Turfster

Is deus ex directors cut worth getting if you've already beaten the original game?

I remember hearing the bosses were removed or something and it includes the DLC but not much else.

The bosses were reworked, and interesting commentary was added in various places.

Dumb question here.
I'm at work. Anyway to start a dl on my home computer from work?

I think they added that recently.

Wait for the daily

I guess... I just waited so long to finally get it :(

Sell your body. Or someone elses body. Maybe you can trade your korean girlfriend.

No bodies to sell and my girfriend isn't Korean but then again I would never! D:

Wait a couple more days to get the summer sale cards and sell them?

Wait, no, this. Definitely this.

Good idea on the cards!

Wait for it to become a daily/flash deal with a bigger discount, problem solved.

I guess... *sigh*

Caerith

Is deus ex directors cut worth getting if you've already beaten the original game?

I remember hearing the bosses were removed or something and it includes the DLC but not much else.

I've heard it's worth it for the commentary, but the director's cut is really buggy otherwise 'cause it was based on a different build instead of the (excellent) PC version.

Costia

The only restricted country is Germany, and the ROW sub is region-locked at the runtime level. To play the game you'd need to either use a VPN or the app id trick, although the latter would break Steamworks integration (which in the case of a purely SP game just means no achievements).
I am from israel and it looks like I won't be able to redeem a key of any of the available versions of the game.

Edit: looks like I might be able to get it via uplay.

Lomax

You're right. The official wording says that booster packs are awarded as badges are crafted, but it doesn't say how many are awarded, or how many badges need to be crafted.

And if I have been coming off as a crazy person, there is a reason I framed my first post on the subject with "tinfoil hat time". It was just an off the wall conspiracy theory.

That being said, I don't think Valve is above market manipulation. Ultimately, they take a cut from every sale, so it's in their best interest to keep the sales flowing. If they could drive up prices as well as increasing sales, they probably would, but they certainly aren't going to do anything to kill demand for cards.

Oh no doubt they've done some shady stuff. I don't remember the exact details, but there's some CS:GO skin that was using copyrighted material and they slapped a "Contraband" label on it and made it stop dropping which of course sent the value through the roof. And their communication on every level is just awful.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just want to toss my personal thanks out there for Enhanced Steam, I've been forced to do all my Steam stuff on my tablet this sale and it makes me miss ES so much. I so wish mobile Chrome supported plugins.

Thanks. Signs point to Google unveiling extension support for mobile Chrome at this year's IO conference. With any luck, the build process will be similar. With great luck, it'll be the same.

For now, if you're a more technically savvy user, you can run the Enhanced Steam Standalone on your PC, and change the hosts file on your tablet (as long as it's not an iPad) to point to the PC running the Standalone. Then you get Enhanced Steam on your tablet too.

Arthea

some games

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine -- MB-79C9332233F311B8
Fly'n -- MB-F0134E6BCCA69A61 - Taken by MBison. 2 entrants total.
Alpha Kimori 1 -- MB-307B8EE5EF347DB7 - Taken by drizzle. 4 entrants total.
Kill Fun Yeah -- MB-E840290009097691 - Taken by FlashFlooder. 1 entrants total.
Nekro -- MB-18DCE64994DC23D9 - Taken by Gunstarheroes. 7 entrants total.
Antisquad -- MB-3DD4D05B8FF662B5 - Taken by Sarcasm. 1 entrants total.
Legend of Dungeon -- MB-511286E9833770D9 - Taken by Avinexus. 4 entrants total.
Starlite Astronaut Academy G Ball -- MB-7292B7875DDAA1C1 - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Journey of a Roach -- MB-BCC3CD7CA5328014 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito. 1 entrants total.
8Bit Commando -- MB-6F659D1706A010EC - Taken by BruteUA. 5 entrants total.
Storm over the Pacific -- MB-BBF003C4C9F62F4F - Taken by TheMadMan007. 7 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) Heroes of Steel -- MB-E5D4845BEF5800E7
Mechanic Escape -- MB-F70F56B2F3DB442A - Taken by DaBargainHunta. 3 entrants total.

t1403540864z1.png

So I have two of those $6 Mastercards left but Steam won't accept them. I can't add them to PayPal because I've been waiting on them to verify my identity for weeks. However, I can receive funds. Are there any trustworthy GAFers who would be willing to add the cards to their account and then send the funds to me?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hacker Evolution Duality Inception Part 3 DLC -- MB-5CDAF904CD467D91
Hacker Evolution Duality Plus Inception Part 1 to 3 Plus Hardcore Package 1 #2 -- MB-0D10C666E8862B02
Hacker Evolution Duality Hardcore Package 1 #2 -- MB-B4146FBAF30C9A06
Hacker Evolution Duality Plus Inception Part 1 to 3 Plus Hardcore Package 1 -- MB-E87476C709A386C2
Hacker Evolution Duality & 4 DLC -- MB-68C982D93D345C2C - Taken by zeroOman
Hacker Evolution Duality Inception Part 1 DLC -- MB-F6816320EA07C340
Hacker Evolution Duality Hardcore Package 1 -- MB-270B9511158D4B80
Hacker Evolution Untold -- MB-9A60F7FC4FD898CB - Taken by Halo 2
Hacker Evolution Duality Inception Part 2 DLC -- MB-AE7341B74A322134

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Hacker Evolution Duality Inception Part 3 DLC was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hacker Evolution Duality Hardcore Package 1 #2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hacker Evolution Duality Inception Part 1 DLC was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hacker Evolution Duality Hardcore Package 1 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hacker Evolution Untold was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hacker Evolution Duality Inception Part 2 DLC was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Does the Mass Effect bundle include all DLC for ME1/2? Or is that now Origin exclusive stuff?

I had to buy the ME2 DLC from the BioWare website with "BioWare points". This was before Origin, and it's still not on Steam. I had to contact EA support to get my key for ME1's Bring Down the Sky DLC because the codes included with the Steam version don't work anymore.

Sera O

Banned
I think everything will change when at least 2 teams won twice. They'll be like, "we have nothing to lose now, fuck it". *Throws money at Steam*

Yeah I think everyone's anticipating a hell-turn from purple at least. It's likely too that the last two days will be crazy with summer cards poofing out of existence the next day, card and token prices diving, and people releasing their stockpiles of boost/steal. I look forward to it.

hohoXD123

This No Team Left Behind alliance has made the sale pretty boring now. I think it's just that it no longer distracts me from how little of this sale I've been interested in so far.

However on the flip-side, the rantings of whoever runs the green 2014 steam group (all can be summarized as "Okay let me tell you my secret plan that everyone else is already aware of: WIN!") and then the wry "what could possibly go wrong" responses are kind of entertaining.

I hope it turns into a free-for-all again.

This is amazing:

Green can win - read the plan
NOTICE: THIS THREAD IS PRIVATE. ANYONE NOT FROM TEAM GREEN IS SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED FROM READING ANY FURTHER AND YOU MUST NAVIGATE AWAY FROM THIS PAGE IMMEDIATELY.

This is the plan to help Team Green dominate.

This competition is about fun. Your chances of winning anything is close to zero, so the only reason for taking part is to have fun. WHo has more fun, the team that wins, ties or loses?

How much fun would the World Cup be if the teams all got together ahead of time and decided who would win each match so they all finished about even?

CALL TO ARMS

We need some soldiers! Go to the market and buy boost and steal tokens. 1000 is best, but anything you can afford to help Team Green is appreciated.

Today (June 22), do not bother trying to knock down pink. We may start tomorrow if we have enough people.

When you buy a badge, post a reply to this thread, so we have a tally of our resources and also can thank the soldier who did it.

TEAM GREEN FOR THE WIN!

That is what we are fighting - the alliance. They have agreed that only one team is to craft per day so that team wins. Supposedly to give everyone the same chance. The same chance at what? Boredom, it seems.

Fuck da alliance.

zma1013

I already have the regular deus ex human revolution but when i add the directors cut the price doesnt change for me. Is it because its on sale?

Cth

Ok, so I picked up ACTUAL SUNLIGHT on the first day.. and it's amazing.

It's a very heartfelt, realistic take on depression in the style of TO THE MOON. Like other "experience" games like GONE HOME, ALWAYS MONSTERS, etc, there's not a lot of gameplay, but it manages to convey an incredible amount of emotion in a unique way.

In a way, it was also evocative of CART LIFE, in the sense that through forcing the player to engage in repetitive, mundane tasks you become closer to the main character's plight. Being depressed, waking up every day hoping something will change, but ultimately just going through the motions alone with your thoughts as your only company.

That being said, it is short, linear, and more like a visual novel in some respects.

It's really powerful, comes with Steam Cards, and on sale currently for $2.49.

STEAM: http://store.steampowered.com/app/288040/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

RPS REVIEW: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/11/thoughts-on-actual-sunlight/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom