• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what would be a fair price for let's say Skyrim (yes, I have a key left)? It's not that we got the games for free and most of the Bethesda bundle is almost worthless because everyone here owns that stuff. Plus PayPal fees.

The key is yours. You *paid* for it, and now it's yours.

You can charge whatever you want. Don't let the deal warriors take that away from you.

So what would be a fair price for let's say Skyrim (yes, I have a key left)? It's not that we got the games for free and most of the Bethesda bundle is almost worthless because everyone here owns that stuff. Plus PayPal fees.

Probably anything less than $25.

Not to mention that a lot of us slogged though the GamersGate site for hours to get these games. Hell, I don't even have a single key yet and probably won't for a while.

Hmm, I was trying to join in the Bethesda GamersGate fun last night. But my order never seemed to complete on Paypal and the games never showed up in my GamersGate library. However, I did get an e-mail from GamersGate thanking me for my purchase, and now today I have a link saying that I purchased the Bethesda pack for $28 and it links me to a "please complete your purchase page" asking me to finalize the payment for it, order status pending.

I'd like the pack (keep dishonored and rage and probably sell the others), so I'm tempted to click "complete payment" and see what happens today. But I really don't want it to get confused about the pricing and accidentally order me the pack at today's price of $200 or whatever. I should get some warning about a price change via paypal before I finalize anything right? I mean it says $28 on the purchase page still so it might go through still.

Slimy? Whatever. I'm glad you got the game at the price you were willing to pay. Selling Skyrim for $15 isn't what I would consider despicable profiteer.

I also don't really understand the outrage.
People getting games cheaper than everywhere else = happy
I'm making a little profit = happy

No one was hurt, except maybe GG. No reason to call everyone out in every thread where this gets brought up. I only thing it shouldn't happen in this thread, there's a B/S/T thread for a reason.

Hmm, I was trying to join in the Bethesda GamersGate fun last night. But my order never seemed to complete on Paypal and the games never showed up in my GamersGate library. However, I did get an e-mail from GamersGate thanking me for my purchase, and now today I have a link saying that I purchased the Bethesda pack for $28 and it links me to a "please complete your purchase page" asking me to finalize the payment for it, order status pending.

I'd like the pack (keep dishonored and rage and probably sell the others), so I'm tempted to click "complete payment" and see what happens today. But I really don't want it to get confused about the pricing and accidentally order me the pack at today's price of $200 or whatever. I should get some warning about a price change via paypal before I finalize anything right? I mean it says $28 on the purchase page still so it might go through still.
They don't have keys anymore and wont get any until mid-january.

Echoplx

The prices should be relative to the cheapest sale a particular game has already had, so skyrim and dishonored for 15$ would be reasonable as they've never been that low before, whereas Fallout 3/Oblivion would go for 5$ etc.

That's the way I see it at least *shrugs*

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
LOL but why?

That's the risk you run. You fuck up and the wrong price shows. Businesses recognize that. IE EA when Origin went batshit crazy and started giving people free games.

same.

He means ethics over people selling the games.

You will probably be waiting for the keys, like myself. If they don't just give you a refund that is. The games dont even individually show in my "Shelf", just the Bethesda collection picture.

Wok

I also don't really understand the outrage.
People getting games cheaper than everywhere else = happy
I'm making a little profit = happy

No one was hurt, except maybe GG. No reason to call everyone out in every thread where this gets brought up. I only thing it shouldn't happen in this thread, there's a B/S/T thread for a reason.

The problem is we prefer to give our money to the devs than to a middle man.

bigace33

I find all the lame profiteering on GAF during these sales to be shitty is all, and I call it what it is.

And I had no problem getting the games at a fair price thanks to the decent Gaffers still around.

Having gotten them myself doesn't make what you guys are doing any less slimy.

Come on bro, where are you going to get some of these games at such low prices? What is wrong if a Gaffer decides to recoup a few dollars off of some games. It's not like they are getting rich or holding a gun to our heads. lol I gladly purchased Skyrim and Dishonored. I had planned on giving the games away had I got the bundle, but that doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else. I say to each his own.

Sober

I kinda would have liked meta-achievements if they were the ones from the summer 2011, but I guess the prize booth rewards are all up to the devs to make if valve wanted to do it. I certainly don't want the coal farming travesty that was last year's winter sale.

In fact, you could probably blame the achievement manager for making getting holiday achievements trivial (and I doubt valve wants to go to the effort of having to revoke them). I mean, there are still holiday events going on in Dota2, NS2, TF2 just had a big content update, and Killing Floor also comes to mind. It's not like valve canceled Christmas in any fashion.

Honestly I'd rather just play the games I wanted to buy than suck it down and buy an indie game I won't touch after getting the achievement. Achievement hunts are fun but they definitely couldn't think of a good system to reward actually obtaining them and mitigating exploiting/abusing the system and ruining it for the rest of us.

Then DO it. No one's forcing you to buy from a middleman.

Again, they bought the keys, they could try to sell them for whatever insane prices they please. I wouldn't personally advise that if they want to actually get a sale, but again: it's *their* key to sell. It's not the *buyer's* key at that point.

The dev gets the exact amount he agreed to with GG. The bundle was originally gonna be 70% off and GG will probably pay for every bundle sold.

Me reselling of keys changes nothing about that. The only thing that changes is that I am getting the profit instead of GG.
All of you are argung that making any kind of profit is inherently immoral.

I don't really have any interest in this bingo business but I've got some extra keys I'm giving away. Send me a pm for any of the following.

Saints Row The Third

Humble Bundle 6 (Vessel, Torchlight, Rochard, S.P.A.Z., and Shatter)

Titan Quest

Edit: All gone.

Dammit I am always late to the Titan Quest giveaways.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
7 minutes for the new Flash Sales. Let me guess: Bad Rats 95% off, Revelations 2012 75% off and a TF2 hat for $15.

Wok

The dev gets the exact amount he agreed to with GG. The bundle was originally gonna be 70% off and GG will probably pay for every bundle sold.

Me reselling of keys changes nothing about that. The only thing that changes is that I am getting the profit instead of GG.
All of you are argung that making any kind of profit is inherently immoral.

This is okay then. The only thing that itches me would be resellers who are indeed pure specualtors, who buy a bundle without any interest in the games for the sole purpose of making a profit.

Momentary

Banned
Could DmC go on sale even though it's on pre-order? If I purchase it now I can pick up DMC3 and DMC4 for 5 bucks each. I'm going to hate waiting on the last day to buy SSFIVAE, SFXT, Far Cry 3, and DmC.

Damage so far:
Monkey Island 1 and 2
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Borderlands 2

Sianos

I just made a dollar selling crates. :O

Time to fire up the idlers, I might be able to make enough to buy a game I won't play! :O

You will probably be waiting for the keys, like myself. If they don't just give you a refund that is. The games dont even individually show in my "Shelf", just the Bethesda collection picture.

Ahhh, interesting, so I probably can still get the deal if I push it through and want to wait until January. Hmm, might still do that. Thanks for the info, I'd not been following the thread on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom