• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steert Fighter Character background

neptunes

While I know ken lived in america and ryu wandered japan (and the whole of asia)

I don't know where akuma came from.

lastly, Charlie and Blanka are 2 different people right?

neptunes said:
While I know ken lived in america and ryu wandered japan (and the whole of asia)

I don't know where akuma came from.

lastly, Charlie and Blanka are 2 different people right?
Akuma is Gouken's brother.

Blanka and Charlie are indeed 2 different people.

Nikashi

Banned
Yeah, basically, if you're seen the Live Action Street Fighter movie, ignore EVERYTHING. It had the same characters, but it kept absolutely NONE of the storyline. At all.

Zero.

I don't see how a filmmaker could honestly do that, take a game with SET storylines, then make a movie that had absolutely nothing to do with them.

jett

D-Member
A little more backstory on Akuma:

Akuma/Gouki is the brother of Gouken, and Goutetsu was their sensei. Gouki kills Goutetsu. Gouken becomes Ryu's sensei. Gouki kills Gouken too. Gouki goes on an endless search of powerful warriors to fight. THE END.

neptunes

I wathed 20 minutes of the movie and I'm already loving it. (just introduced sakura) I also watched the 1st movie many times, many years ago.

Though I am considereing getting the TPB soon.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Nikashi said:
I don't see how a filmmaker could honestly do that, take a game with SET storylines, then make a movie that had absolutely nothing to do with them.

I'm almost 100% convinced the script was for another movie before having the SF name applied.

neptunes

sftm.png

hey! don't rag on the movie!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I don't know what you people are talking about. Street Fighter the movie was one of the best * films ever made.

*best as in best COMEDY

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Lyte Edge said:
I don't know what you people are talking about. Street Fighter the movie was one of the best * films ever made.

*best as in best COMEDY

YES!

The ugly mexican vega, and the shrimpy sagat were AWESOME, and the fight at the end between Zangief and the Hawaiian/Samoan E. Honda w/ the Godzilla noises and the smashing of the paper skyline was friggin hilarious.

Well worth my purchase of the DVD for $5.

miyuru

lol, can't forget Balrog!

Nobody was fighting on the correct side, like how Zangief was working for Bison, etc.

jett

D-Member
I actually remember watching this in the theater...lol, I remember that the kids in the showing before mine were coming out making fireball motions. Funny thing, i don't remember any hadokens in the movie. :p

It's not as bad as everyone says, it makes for some decent unintended comedy. Bison uses a SF2 arcade machine to control some missile thingies, lol. :p

Nikashi

Banned
There was one hadoken in the entire movie, and it was about a quarter of a second long.

Someone kick Steven DeSouza in the nuts for me

belgurdo

Banned
Nikashi said:
There was one hadoken in the entire movie, and it was about a quarter of a second long.

Someone kick Steven DeSouza in the nuts for me

They did it in the exact same way they handled Liu Kang's "fireball" in the MK movie: The actor just gives a weak palm push and you see a light flash and the bad guy rolls backwards. Did they run out of money for special effects or something?

XS+

Banned
jett said:
A little more backstory on Akuma:

Akuma/Gouki is the brother of Gouken, and Goutetsu was their sensei. Gouki kills Goutetsu. Gouken becomes Ryu's sensei. Gouki kills Gouken too. Gouki goes on an endless search of powerful warriors to fight. THE END.
They need to make a 'Street Fighter Episode I' game already. Hopefull Capcom will still have a healthy relationship with those who defected and keep the SF games going (a la Arika making SFEX for Capcom).

Nikashi said:
Yeah, basically, if you're seen the Live Action Street Fighter movie, ignore EVERYTHING. It had the same characters, but it kept absolutely NONE of the storyline. At all.

Zero.
Wait, you mean the fat asian dude wasn't really an undercover cop posing as a cameraman in the game?

My world has been shattered :(

If you have a few hours to spare (or just want to look up specific characters), take a look at this comprehensive SF story FAQ edited together from almost three years of plot research and discussion:
http://kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/faqs/SFplotguide40.txt

Basically, all manga, anime, movies or comics (including Udon's) are not canon. However, many of them use the same ideas (you can see that Udon are taking details from all sources when they are making their own canon) and sometimes Capcom decides to include ideas in the games later (Karin was created by a manga author, many scenes in the Alpha games were inspired by the animated movie).

The only correct sources are Capcom Japan (the Japanese editions of the games themselves) and authorized story guides (All About Capcom and Street Fighter Eternal are some of the most well known). Not even Capcom USA's translations are essentially canon, since they changed many things for various reasons, not just the well known name swaps.

I'll be happy to answer any questions. There is a storyline discussion going on at Shoryuken.com, but it seems to be down at the moment...

Top Bottom