• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stinger strikes again: SF4 @ JAMMA plus more...

KingJ2002

I truly didnt expect capcom to show street fighter 4 until next year... ah well. Most likely they re-did some characters for high res (like sprite filtering and touch ups). Either way... SF3 sprites re-touched and put in high res beats GGX2 sprites anyday.

Even though I am excited about SF4 possibly being shown... im really looking forward to sega's lineup.

and samurai spirits tenka.

KingJ2002

U K Narayan said:
Where the fuck is Sammy Vs. Capcom? Or a new DarkStalkers?

Man. . . SF4 would be nice, but I want those, too! Can't have everything, unfortunately.

a new darkstalkers is in the works from what I heard (back in april)

sf4 & an untitled darkstalkers title is coming.

but I always thought the DS game would be unveiled first.

ah well... truth be told im not surprised if next gen capcom brought back rival schools (not so sure about powerstone though)

tetsuoxb

KingJ2002 said:
a new darkstalkers is in the works from what I heard (back in april)

sf4 & an untitled darkstalkers title is coming.

but I always thought the DS game would be unveiled first.

ah well... truth be told im not surprised if next gen capcom brought back rival schools (not so sure about powerstone though)

according to who? your imagination?

So seriously, who is this Stinger guy?

Is he like some sort of arcade version of Johnny Nighttrain or something?
Is he trustworthy?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Dreamcast was good yes, but for 2D, it was a Neo Geo wannabe.<<<

Guilty Gear X called, and it says that the Neo Geo is an out-dated POS.

SKOPE

jaundicejuice said:
Street Fighter 4? Part of me wants to jump for joy, but then in rolls the cynic.
What he said.

Street Fighter has been run into the ground and come out the other side so many times, it's difficult to get excited about a new game in the series.

And this is coming from someone who thinks Third Strike is one of the greatest games ever.

Cave's new shooter: ESPGALUDA II
es.jpg

es2.jpg

OH, HELL YES!

KingJ2002

tetsuoxb said:
according to who? your imagination?

Welll let's see... Capcom confirmed that they are working on a new installment of the Vampire (Darkstalkers) series for the arcades, the game was supposed to be revealed in Japan past spring.... but nothing turned up. (According to GameFront.de / Magic Box in Oct. 2004)

and Capcom themselves said at the earliest we will see a "new" SF game in 2007-2008 (back in like 1999)

as for a new rivals schools & powerstone... wishful thinking on my part.

I am a fighting fan

Tain said:
I was always under the impression that the NeoGeo had almost no ram (like, 64k) due to the speed of the cartridges. That's why the NeoGeo CD was released, was cheap, and didn't get many of the later Neo titles due to ram constraints, despite having more ram than the cart system.
I believe its because the physical cartridge had basically unlimited ROM (making carts very expensive) so ram isn't an issue with NeoGeo, unless they had a whole bunch of huge sprites at once on screen (which is rare).

tetsuoxb

KingJ2002 said:
Welll let's see... Capcom confirmed that they are working on a new installment of the Vampire (Darkstalkers) series for the arcades, the game was supposed to be revealed in Japan past spring.... but nothing turned up. (According to GameFront.de / Magic Box in Oct. 2004)

and Capcom themselves said at the earliest we will see a "new" SF game in 2007-2008 (back in like 1999)

as for a new rivals schools & powerstone... wishful thinking on my part.

I am a fighting fan

So you are taking your info from magicbox (a rumor site) and gamefront (the same thing) for one game.

Then a legendary annoucement that no one can find for another. Which even if it was true, would be null and void considering none of the street fighter principals work at capcom japan and the series doesnt even belong to the company any more.

Welcome to imaginary game land. Ill be waiting for Panzer Dragoon RPG 2.

eso76

Shogmaster said:
Seriously. I don't know why people would think ancient stuff like Neo Geo is better at 2D than more modern DC and AW. DC and AW have like tons more RAM to store animation frames, and can do many more FXs with 2D image via mapping them as textures.

I don't know, there's a lot of people stuck on the idea that there's still no power greater than NG for sprite based games.
Neo Geo was a monster HOME console for 2d when it was released, but that's all.
Even compared to other arcade boards released in the same period its superiority is questionable...it's true that few 2D titles went beyond the best Neogeo games, but that's just because the market lost interest in 2D while SnK console was pushed to its limits in every possible way...an atomiswave could probably run neogeo games via emulation..

tetsuoxb

KingJ2002 said:
yea... well ummm... since you're so sure nothing is coming tetsuo

this conversation is over.

If you want to stand behind magicbox/gamefront.de and a 6 year old, completely irrelevant, mythological press comment.... then yeah I guess it is.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
tetsuoxb said:
So you are taking your info from magicbox (a rumor site) and gamefront (the same thing) for one game.

Then a legendary annoucement that no one can find for another. Which even if it was true, would be null and void considering none of the street fighter principals work at capcom japan and the series doesnt even belong to the company any more.

Welcome to imaginary game land. Ill be waiting for Panzer Dragoon RPG 2.

god damn, you might be right, but you sound like a total dick

tetsuoxb

This thread just kinda bothers me... the truth is no one wants SF4 to happen more than me.

Then some rumor site comes along (and they have been coming for weeks now) with completely preposterous ideas about how it will come into being. Atomiswave? You gotta be kidding to think it would show up that way. Announce at JAMMA? Capcom USA would want to milk it for publicity in its own territory, not Japan.

Then the game isnt shown, because it doesnt exist or isnt ready yet, and poof, everyone starts complaining.

This has happened before, when Capcom Fighting All Stars was shown at JAMMA way too early, after lots of speculation for other games (SF4, MvC3, etc)... What happened? People complained it was 3d, they complained it wasnt what they wanted, etc. etc. It got cancelled and then we got Capcom Fighting Jam instead. I was at the JAMMA show when CFAS was shown, and I guarantee you, despite being 3d, it was MUCH better than CFJ. However, I will never get to play that game again, because rumor mongering fanboys got so bent out of shape it wasnt the game they wanted/expected that they yelled loud enough to get it canned.

Tain

This has happened before, when Capcom Fighting All Stars was shown at JAMMA way too early, after lots of speculation for other games (SF4, MvC3, etc)... What happened? People complained it was 3d, they complained it wasnt what they wanted, etc. etc. It got cancelled and then we got Capcom Fighting Jam instead. I was at the JAMMA show when CFAS was shown, and I guarantee you, despite being 3d, it was MUCH better than CFJ. However, I will never get to play that game again, because rumor mongering fanboys got so bent out of shape it wasnt the game they wanted/expected that they yelled loud enough to get it canned.

I really wanted to try that out. :(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>an atomiswave could probably run neogeo games via emulation..<<<<

NEOGEO CD, yeah. Less RAM required since you don't have to load the whole game at once. Works great on PSP.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
tetsuoxb said:
Especially since one exists and the other doesnt.

Wow your pessamism knows no bounds :lol Let us have our fun in the sun will ya.

jarrod said:
SEGA

-OutRun Coast-2-Coast(LindBergh)
-Sega Rally 3 (LindBergh)

thread.....OVER

KingJ2002

The "editor / stinger" defends himself on madmans cafe:

"It was said this was the JAMMA (Japanese Amusement Machine Manufacturer Association) AM show preview information. This is what we have been told would be at the event or announced at the event. I agree surprised about SF4 as an A-Wave, the same way that we first heard GGXX was going to be A-Wave only to jump to Naomi!"

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Tain said:
I really wanted to try that out. :(

Me too. It looked good from the few movies I saw of it; sort of like a Rival Schools type game but with full 3D movement and parrying. Plus it was cool seeing Strider, Poison, and Haggar in there; the game just needed more playable characters.

I'm still surprised that Capcom never released this game on the PS2. Final Fight Revenge bombed in arcade testing, yet they brought it out for the several-years-dead Sega Saturn anyway. :p

And just like Tetsuo said, the first thing that came to my mind when I played Capcom Fighting Evolution for the first time was "man, I bet Capcom Fighting All-Stars would have been much better than this rehash!"

Hellraizah

First off, I never talked about "power" for Dreamcast VS Neo Geo

I only said that for 2D, Dreamcast was a Neo Geo wannabe. Didn't talk about power of console VS console.

The reason it wasn't a clear comment was that it was mainly aimed at provoking Lazy8s.

KingJ2002

tetsuoxb said:
If you want to stand behind magicbox/gamefront.de and a 6 year old, completely irrelevant, mythological press comment.... then yeah I guess it is.

it's not that i stand behind the sites it's was just the only info release on future titles of darkstalkers & street fighter... which I thought made some sense seeing that lately... with the releases of darkstalkers: the chaos tower, street fighter anniversary collection, capcom fighting jam, and the street fighter / darkstalkers comics books.... that capcom might be gearing up for new releases in the series.... and all these anniversary editions, dream matches, and compilations are just ways to grab people's attention since the last strret fighter game was released in 1999 and the last darkstalkers game was released in 1997.

Dachande

KingJ2002 said:
Darkstalkers stuff

Didn't the guy who created the Darkstalkers series quit after Savior and go on to make Guilty Gear? If he's not involved in a new one I wouldn't hold out much hope for it.

KingJ2002

Im not holding my breath for Darkstalkers 4 or Street Fighter 4... but I will look forward to any new info available.

I find my lack of enthusiasm for this announcement disturbing. :/

I waited on SF3, and thought I had died and ascended to a higher existence when it was finally released. However, Crapcom handing this series over to their redheaded stepchild division in conjunction with a bunch of F.O.B. swipe artists being involved really puts me off.

What has Udon done other than do a half-assed job of swiping from the existing Capcom artbooks? Yeah, this will have the lamest cast of characters since Street Fighter EX; but at least Cracker Jack was kind of cool.

"See - this guy, he's like Ryu . . . TO THE EXTREEEEEEEEEME!" :/

Unless Crapcom proper is making it, and the rest was smoke and mirrors and a Capcom exec pops out of a cake and shouts J/K LOL!

Hero

If SF4 is announced, I would be so happy. Guilty Gear quality resolution plus SF3 animation = faptastic visuals. Keep the base system of SF3:TS, maybe add something to keep it fresh, and release it.

Please Capcom.

Oh yeah - no more shitty rap music plz!

If you got to do it, don't subject me to that crap. Just get some lonely Japanese composer with a Casio keyboard and we're good to go. :p

G-Fex

I liked 3rd strikes music, it wasn't stupid crap you hear on the radio, just something different and catchy.

It wasn't stupid crap you hear on the radio, just something different and catchy.

Yeah, because it's some low rent group that can't make it big time.

Listen to the lyrics. It's the most inane bullshit ever, but that's a problem with most rap listeners these days. They're not listening to what's being said. Just the beat.

I could have lived with it if they dropped the vocals. As is, it's fucking retarded.

Even ignoring the rap sections, I didn't much enjoy the character themes. Too much sampling from 80's tunes and movie themes.

I think I take this a bit more personal than others because for me the SF2 soundtrack is one of the few that still stands the test of time.

Perhaps it's best if Capcom just keeps Hideki Okugawa away from the SF4 OST. Then again, if it's Capcom USA making it - it will be worse, much worse. :(

Hero

I agree, get the hip-hop/rap music away from SF, please.

I guess this also means MvC3 will never see the light of day.

*sigh*

Zaptruder

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Yeah, because it's some low rent group that can't make it big time.

Listen to the lyrics. It's the most inane bullshit ever, but that's a problem with most rap listeners these days. They're not listening to what's being said. Just the beat.

I could have lived with it if they dropped the vocals. As is, it's fucking retarded.

Even ignoring the rap sections, I didn't much enjoy the character themes. Too much sampling from 80's tunes and movie themes.

I think I take this a bit more personal than others because for me the SF2 soundtrack is one of the few that still stands the test of time.

Perhaps it's best if Capcom just keeps Hideki Okugawa away from the SF4 OST. Then again, if it's Capcom USA making it - it will be worse, much worse. :(

If you're playing fighting games for music, you're in the wrong genre/universe.

Hero

tetsuoxb said:
How could it? EA owns the Marvel lic.

Oh, that's right. Back when Activision had the rights to Marvel characters there was still rumors flying that Capcom could still make MvC3. Bah.

Shinobi

Hellraizah said:
First off, I never talked about "power" for Dreamcast VS Neo Geo

I only said that for 2D, Dreamcast was a Neo Geo wannabe. Didn't talk about power of console VS console.

The reason it wasn't a clear comment was that it was mainly aimed at provoking Lazy8s.

That explaination makes even less sense then your previous post. :lol

op_ivy said:
meh, fuck 2d fighters...

the REAL news is the return of sega. cant wait to see those titles, especially SEGA RALLY 3!. i'll do my best isamu impression as soon as thats confirmed

Agreed...fuck the Street Fighter bullshit, all that matters is the Sega Lindberg stuff.

SEGA
-House of the Dead 4(LindBergh)
-AfterBurner (LindBergh)
-Virtua Fighter 5 (LindBergh)

MOTHERFUCKER.

Alas, I tend to side with tetsuoxb here. I don't think we'll see half of the stuff on that list...not this year anyway. But it'd be nice to be wrong. If nothing else HOTD4 has long been confirmed, and it's pretty fucking obvious that Afterburner has been an arcade game all along.

jarrod

Banned
To be fair a lot of this stuff was announced previously. The only truly new games would be...

Taito
-ZOIDS Infinity EX (TypeX) Tomy?

SEGA
-AfterBurner (LindBergh)

Namco
-Tekken 5.1 (System 258)
-Counter Strike Neo V2 (Namco N2)
-Druaga Online: The Story of Aon (CHIHIRO)

Banpresto
-Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 Card Builder (Naomi 2)

Konami
-Paintball Mania (Pysone)
-Beatmania IIDX12: Happy Sky (System 572)

Capcom
-Street Fighter 4 (AtomisWave)

tetsuoxb

jarrod said:
To be fair a lot of this stuff was announced previously. The only truly new games would be...

TETSUOXB EDIT: Games I know have been announced/released/tested in bold.

Taito
-ZOIDS Infinity EX (TypeX) Tomy?

SEGA
-AfterBurner (LindBergh)

Namco
-Tekken 5.1 (System 258)
-Counter Strike Neo V2 (Namco N2)
-Druaga Online: The Story of Aon (CHIHIRO)

Banpresto
-Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 Card Builder (Naomi 2)

Konami
-Paintball Mania (Pysone)
-Beatmania IIDX12: Happy Sky (System 572)

Capcom
-Street Fighter 4 (AtomisWave)

I think ZOIDS is out, unless it is an update to this: http://www.zoids-inf.net/html/002_zoids_ex/002_02.html

Paintball Mania has been announced for quite a while and has even location tested. Happy Sky Beatmania is already released, saw it today when I went to play some SF Zero3.

Counter-Strike Neo is only for select arcades (one just opened inside namco wonder tower) and has been anounced for a while. V2 is a point release. The Tekken upgrade may or may not be out already. It was mentioned more than 10 days ago on Barcade. The Druaga online site is open accoridng to gpara.

Gundam is annouced at Tokyo International Anime Fair: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/04/news_6121649.html

As for the sega games, I expect them to show HOTD, VF5, and Afterburner. Maybe one of the racing games will get shown, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If a racing game is shown, you might swap out either afterburner or VF5. Although since VF has a history of launching new arcade boards, I have a feeling it is coming at this Jamma.

As for SF4, it aint happening... but alot of people in this thread dont want to believe me, so I will leave them to their own disappointments.

Jeffahn

I'm gonna go out on a limb and venture that Sonic is also one of the forthcoming Lindbergh-based arcade games as per the Sega E3 demos. I stand to be corrected, though I will blame Sega for the deception.

Top Bottom