• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stores slash PSX prices -- PSX00M3D?

cabel

If the cuts have not been sanctioned by Sony - their size suggests these are not manufacturer-led reductions - it will surely come as something of a disappointment for the consumer electronics giant. Launched last year just before Christmas, sales were so far below Sony's forecasts that it was forced to suspend production during the Spring in an attempt to clear out channel inventories.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/07/psx_price_cuts/

Interesting story. I can't decide which comment to use in response:

1) Huh. I guess Sony can't automatically succeed at everything.

2) Oh no! Better sell your PSX now! What? You don't own one?

3) Well, I guess that about wraps it up for my dumb stupid ass for repeating this cliche

4) Yeah, but does the PSX require an external, crotch-mounted battery pack?

5) I think Wind Waker was the worst game of this generation, hands down, ignoring all the actually bad games

6) I'd post a response, but it's not encoded in ATRAC3 format

7) I guess consumers didn't really want a PS2 bundled with a TiVO. How about that.

Link316

Banned
Sony better be more careful or they're gonna end up tarnishing the "PS" brand, at least Nintendo knew not to slap "GameBoy" onto questionable products like the Virtual Boy and Nintendo DS

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Everyone knew that this thing would flop...

Something really basic got nixed from the final specs... I forget what... But it was enough to render the thing obsolete in my eyes and I haven't looked back since.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Link316 said:
Sony better be more careful or they're gonna end up tarnishing the "PS" brand, at least Nintendo knew not to slap "GameBoy" onto questionable products like the Virtual Boy and Nintendo DS

..... umm the brand isn't PS, it's Playstation. I know, I know the unofficial name of the original Playstation is PSX... but Sony doesn't push that... in the story you see PSOne, Playstation or Playstation 2.

So that gives them somewhat of a bother from the PSX..... which is doomed BTW.

They should have tested very expensive do-it-all entertainment devices several more years before designing PSP. PSP is another ball game altogether though... portable PlayStation, I honestly don't see how that can fail. Maybe if Nintendo drops a GBA2 shaped bomb before next E3 and has a GBA SP like launch schedule...

that'd be a bit like Sony beating SEGA to launch with PlayStation. The press would love it..

doncale

Banned
so this is Sony's 2nd failure. the Pocketstation and the PSX

Sony needs to re-invigorate themselves with PSP, PStwo and PS3.

DarienA

doncale said:
so this is Sony's 2nd failure. the Pocketstation and the PSX

Sony needs to re-invigorate themselves with PSP, PStwo and PS3.

You forgot Betamax.

The Pocketstation was a weird case... one of the reasons I was told it never made it to the US was because they were having trouble keeping the thing in stock in Japan. Can anybody confirm that?

Razoric

Banned
dont forget the PS2 HDD failure... or soon to be failure. How many games actually use this damn thing? 5? 6?

doncale

Banned
You forgot Betamax.

I didn't forget it, I wasnt counting Betamax. just videogame stuff.

the PS2 Network Adaptor and HDD could be counted though :)

alot of Sony's pride will be riding on PSP :D

DarienA

doncale said:
I didn't forget it, I wasnt counting Betamax. just videogame stuff.

the PS2 Network Adaptor and HDD could be counted though :)

WTH? How is the network adapter a failure?

The jury is still out on the HDD, but it's learning towards(we knew it wouldn't get widespread acceptance, but f'ck it will, release it anyway) type failure.

A lot of stores in the UK seem confused on the whole HDD / FFXI issue. I definately think that MS got it right this generation putting modem/hard-drive in the console from the offset. I personally prefer and appreciate the cost-cutting Sony and (even moreso) Nintendo did this generation, because I will happily buy seperates, but thanks to Sony's dominance they haven't actually passed on the savings.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The PocketStation was apparently intended for PAL release, as the local distributors were promoting it to the retailers. There was actually a PR/retail party with a famous sado-maso mistress on the stage, and she shoved PocketStation, well... ahem.. up her "pocket" to the amazement of everyone watching the show.

Top Bottom