• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight Outta Compton Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Currently at 91% on RT (for those who care about that stuff)

Didn't see a thread and seeing as reviews are starting to pour in.

Chris Nashawaty - Entertainment Weekly
If you're like me, you'll forgive its more melodramatic clichés and just surrender to its raw, brass-knuckle force.

Kate Erbland - indieWIRE
It's biopic syndrome... and it sinks the second half of an otherwise compelling, funny and extremely entertaining film with a beat all its own.

Rodrigo Perez - The Playlist
Conventional and too long, but rousing and entertaining.

Scott Mendelson - Forbes
The highly entertaining and sprawling biopic starts out with its pulse on the nation only to somewhat devolve into standard Behind the Music backstage melodrama.

James Rocchi - TheWrap
Underneath the gunshots and the battle raps, "Straight Outta Compton" is a fairly conventional movie about a music group, somewhere between hero-making and the honest truth.

Scott Foundas - Variety
Director F. Gary Gray turns the meteoric rise and fractious fall of rap supergroup N.W.A. into a sprawling, exhilarating Los Angeles hip-hop epic.

John DeFore - Hollywood Reporter
It does for the most part fulfill its mission, breathing life into the origin story of a group whose influence is still being felt.

Dabanton

Yeah been hearing how the second half lets it down slighty.

But with Dre ,Cube onboard it was never not going to be more respectful to their POV's

Still can't wait to see this.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
3T3NCB2.jpg

Can't wait.

Biopics are the consistently the worst genre, and the trailer for this is a showcase for everything that's wrong with them. It's so corny how they try to have people calling out how important everything is as it's happening.

Busty

Banned
If any film is going to beat Man From UNCLE to the top of the box office charts next weekend I'm glad that it's going to be this.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
First thing im doing once i get back from holiday is seeing this movie. Thank god the reviews because i so want it too be good

Yeah been hearing how the second half lets it down slighty.

This appears to be the dominant narrative.

I'm almost certain we're going to get an extended cut on blu-ray with about 20-25 minutes restored to it. I heard there was an edit Gray was really happy with, but it was closer to 3 hours.

jtb

Banned
This is a film, more so than most, that I am really interested in seeing what Wesley Morris has to say about it.

FStop7

Banned
I'm glad it's good! Though I was kind of hoping for some good "Straight Outta the Theater" or "Straight Onto Netflix" jokes if it had been bad.

Why do I get the feeling this won't accurately portray NWA but make it more about police brutality and keeping the black man down. Don't get me wrong, that's important but it seems like that will over shadow the characters which means we probably won't get a proper NWA movie.

sfedai0

Banned
This seems more of a rental. We all know it wont cover the nitty gritty, and will gloss over everything thats salacious.

I remember it was homecoming night at my HS and 8 Mile was out that Friday. After the rainy game, a bunch of us drove past the local theater. Cop cars stationed out in front, Cops standing in front of the theater. It was crazy.

Doc Az

Neo Member
I'll probably enjoy it as a highly fictionalized telling of events that portrays them as perfect people just trying to make music.

Really...not going to believe it all though, because it appears to gloss over everything that shows them in a negative light, like Dr. Dre being a woman beating piece of shit.

CoolOff

I'm almost certain we're going to get an extended cut on blu-ray with about 20-25 minutes restored to it. I heard there was an edit Gray was really happy with, but it was closer to 3 hours.

Shit, not that much of a loss if it doesn't hit cinemas here then.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This seems more of a rental. We all know it wont cover the nitty gritty, and will gloss over everything thats salacious.

That's definitely my worry. The feud would be much more interesting movie material, but you'll only ever see that talked about in documentaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom