• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight Outta Compton Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's definitely my worry. The feud would be much more interesting movie material, but you'll only ever see that talked about in documentaries.

Actually, from what I understand, the fallout with Heller, the fallout between Cube and the rest of the group, and Suge basically being a terrorist is all covered. The only real negative aspect that isn't touched all that much is the misogyny.

Which is, unfortunately, a very big part of what NWA was. Especially after Cube left. Not that he was some sort of calming influence or whatever. But after he left, Ren took over most of the writing duties, and Ren's apparently got some fuckin mean-spirited fetishes, if you listen to, say, 100 Miles & Runnin, or Efil4Zaggin, or Kizz My Black Azz.

Plus, yeah, Dre beating the shit out of Michel'le and Dee Barnes.

dream

It may be hateful, sure, but Ren wrote my absolute favorite lyric of all time because it's just so hilariously stupid:

Now I went back to school the very next day,
And I knew that my niggaz won't believe what I had
To say,
I told them what I saw and nigguz said "yeah right",
So I told the mothafuckaz to come over there
Tongiht,
Now there's 10 real niggaz at her window,
Waiting to see a ho like at a matinee show
They thought that I was lying 'cause we waited 1 hour,
And when we started to leave the bitch walked out
Da shower,
Ass hanging out as she laid on the bed,
Her bottomlips was hanging and she started
Fingerbanging,
Her daddy walked in and started beating her with a
Belt,
The bitch was so hot she made the leather start to
Melt,
But she was liking it,
Yelling "daddy give it to me harder",
Then he took off all his clothes and start fucking
His daughter,
My niggaz outside did'nt believe what they would
See-some,
And when her mama got home, they turned into a
Threesome,
Her mama ate the pussy while her daddy doggystyled
It,
The family prayed together and they also laid
Together,
I could'nt take no more 'cause I was too much of a man,
So I jumped right thru the window with my dick in
My hand
The family didn't mind and kept doing what they was
Doing,
'cause now it was even it was 2 against 2,
And 'bout a couple minutes after I was in,
All my niggaz jumped in all 10 yo behind the scenes!

"this is a bitch who did the whole crew"

"yes daddy I love you"

"she like suckin' on dicks .. and lickin' up
Nut....and she'll even take a broomstick up the butt!"

It may be hateful, sure, but Ren wrote my absolute favorite lyric of all time because it's just so hilariously stupid:

Heh, that was basically the exact verse I was thinking of when I wrote what I did.

I remember hearing that for the first time and going "this guy is just rhyming the worst of Penthouse letters."

The production on that EP was fucking amazing, though. DJ Bobcat, I think.

Zekes!

As much as I love NWA I don't feel any excitement for this movie. I rather a documentary that gets into the dirty details than some glamorized biopic.

Anth0ny

Just got back. Loved it. The 2.5 hours flew by. Probably my favorite movie of the year.

Also, according to the Rapper Life Story Cinematic Universe timeline, 8 Mile and Straight Outta Compton end at precisely the same moment. Now we all just gotta wait for the crossover.

thefit

As much as I love NWA I don't feel any excitement for this movie. I rather a documentary that gets into the dirty details than some glamorized biopic.

I'm ok with a lil fantasy and embellishment having grown up in Compton before during and after NWA and living first hand some of the shit the music glorified I'm ok with it being just a day at the movies.

Also, according to the Rapper Life Story Cinematic Universe timeline, 8 Mile and Straight Outta Compton end at precisely the same moment. Now we all just gotta wait for the crossover.

Straight Outta Compton sequel to cover the Death Row era. After-credits scene shows Dre meeting B-Rabbit. Screen goes black.

Dominator

Gonna see this tomorrow night, can't wait. Was gonna go tonight after work but 2.5 hours is a bit much for a 11pm showing haha. Glad to see others are enjoying it.

Would you have paid to see a docu at the cinema?

Although the upcoming Precinct Seven Five did look awesome when I saw a trailer for it in the cinema. Amy was brilliant. Still need to see Look Of Silence. But I don't know many people who are as hyped seeing docus at cinemas.

hwalker84

Just got back. Loved it. The 2.5 hours flew by. Probably my favorite movie of the year.

Feeling very similar. Loved it!

I just got out.

It was good overall. Got too serious the second half but overall gold movie.

Only complain,
where were Bone Thugs? They has Snoop so why not Bone? They put a big emphasize on E so why not at least show the group he found?

I really want to see this. It looks amazing. Just to brag a little, a few years ago O'shea Jackson JR came to my house for a party and I got high and drunk as shit with him and his brother. The next day they got me into the Ice Cube show in town and I got to meet Ice Cube. O'Shea Jr is a really cool down to earth guy.

Walpurgis

Banned

survivor1.gif

Jaroof

This movie really took me by surprise. Amazing film.
Oh, and Ice Cube's son better get some kind of award or recognition for this. He nailed it.

I don't like reading "conventional" about a group that made its name being transgressive, but should still be a fun watch. Looking forward to it.

LosDaddie

Banned
Taking my bro to see this movie tomorrow night. Really excited!

I heard on NPR this morning about how some people were offended by the sexism. Sounds like this movie might be even better than I expected

Anth0ny

Something I was confused about (movie spoilers):

Considering how long the film was, I was shocked that they barely went into the Eazy E vs. Dr. Dre beef. No Fuck wit Dre Day. No Real Muthaphukkin G's. They even foreshadowed the beef when Eazy was giving Dre shit about his outfit at the nightclub near the beginning of the film, so I wonder if it was originally going to be a part of the film, but they ran out of time?

Also, they managed to find a 2Pac clone for this film. Jesus did that guy look like Pac or what. The guy they got to play Snoop also sounded exactly like him, it was amazing. But ultimately, his role in the film was... to record his part in Deep Cover. and Ain't Nothin but a G Thang. No Fuck wit Dre Day! I thought that was going to be the first thing he did with Dre lol... The Chronic just drops unceremoniously and there's billboards everywhere.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

What the hell did I just read? Holy shot that's hilarious! I was laughing on the bus and people are staring at me like I'm crazy. I should have recited this lyrics out loud...

I was marginally interested in this movie, but I'm not sure I'll be able to see it in the theater. I'm trying to restrain my movie going budget. I'll probably rent it when it's available on demand.

j-wood

Movie was amazing, 5/5.

To those thinking it doesn't cover the downtime (movie spoilers):

It covers Cube leaving over the contract situation, the diss tracks between then, Dre leaving for deathrow, all the crazy suge shit (beating to release Dre from ruthless, crazy stuff at deathrow records). It gets into quite a bit.

Kuno

Saw this last night, it was really great. It's a long movie but the time flew by since I was so into it. It's crazy how much they managed to cover in 2 1/2 hours.

I didn't like how little screen time was given to MC Ren though. I feel like he was a big part of NWA, and he wrote most of the lyrics for the group after Ice Cube left.

There was also a weird part with Yella where he and Dre are in the studio.
Dre starts doing stuff with a synthesizer or drum machine and Yella says something like "oh, I could never have come up with something that good!" It came across like Dre wanted to show in the film that he was better/more important than Yella. Or, maybe I'm reading too much into it...

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.

dream

I just watched NWA Day on The View. Seeing Cube say that not all cops are bad just undermined my childhood. Then, on That's So Raven's prompting, Cube and his son snarled in unison while the white housewife studio audience swooned. Fuck me. NWA has become The World's Most Friendliest Group.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just watched NWA Day on The View. Seeing Cube say that not all cops are bad just undermined my childhood. Then, on That's So Raven's prompting, Cube and his son snarled in unison while the white housewife studio audience swooned. Fuck me. NWA has become The World's Most Friendliest Group.

Niceguys With Aspirations.

dream

CMYOwAaU8AEfEYr.png:large

Imagine going back 20 years when to a post-NWA Cube was at the height of his involvement with the Nation of Islam, and telling him that he will one day be hailed as an inspirational icon to an audience full of 40-something white housewives who wild out over the crazy brother named Ice Cube from the stupid dope gang with an attitude.

Although, 20 years ago, if you told me the girl from the beginning of Do the Right Thing, a zygote from the Cosby Show, and Whoopi fuckin' Goldberg were going to be hosts of said talk-show, I'd have also been like 'whaaaaa?'

Also, I love that the screencap has Smokey lookin at Felicia, and the entire scenario, with the proper facial expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom