• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter Anniversary Edition Controllers

has anyone been able to track these down? my local gameshops were pimping them before release, but none of them have gotten any in. for those that have gotten them, what's the verdict? are they worth using? i'd imagine they'd almost have to be better than the ds2--especially for inputting circular motions. perhaps i'll have to order online?

my brother picked up a couple at Blockbuster. He swears by them, says using them is the only way to do certain motions with the dpad, but i play just fine with the Dual Shock2 to be honest with you.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
The SFAC controllers by Nuby are in limited supply, and really a small amount were manufactured. EBGames and Gamestop got like 1 to 3 units of each controller (Ryu, Chun-Li, and Ken). Blockbuster also stocks them, and you can get the Akuma one there since it's Blockbuster-exclusive.

As for the controllers, they are light in weight and have a solid feel. The D-pad and buttons are great, and the character portrait emblazoned on them move if you tilt them. No vibration function, though.

Worth hunting down as collector's pieces.

Shoryuken

These controllers are great. The D-pad is better than the DS2's and the buttons actually feel a little more responsive. Also, I don't think I can go back to four face buttons on a pad. Six face buttons just feel right.

Agent X

I haven't tried it yet, but I finally saw one in a store yesterday. The packaging on it is truly a work of art! If I got one, I'd almost be afraid to open it up, because the packaging is just so awesome and I wouldn't want to risk ruining it. :)

i just ordered the chun li controller from gamestop. they say they aren't coming in-stock until october 10th... has anyone seen the chun li controller for sale anywhere?

Sai

'bout $25.

I got the Ryu and Ken ones for a friend and myself. They feel great! I mean, I prefer arcade sticks, but I haven't used a fighting game controller that felt so great since the good ol' Saturn. :D

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
NotMSRP said:
Is the free comic the same version/issue/edition across all controller versions?

Actually, no, surprisingly. :) I got the Chun-Li and Akuma pads, and they both had different stories despite having the same cover. It's all straight from the SF comic series though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Try Blockbuster, I've seen a few there, I thought at first they were exclusive to Blockbuster. They look nice, based on my favorite game pad design of all time, too :D

zmet

Just wait and import the Sega Saturn controllers for the PS2. Look at the last poster on the right. :)
20040925002017_2big.jpg

zmet

adelgary said:

This japanese style Sega Saturn Controller is coming out for the PS2 - It was at the Tokyo Game Show. Imho, it's a whole lot better than the super thick Nuby fighting pads. I have two of the Ken pads and their okay, but the Sega Controller is the one to get. I just hope they have plans to make them for the Xbox.
SaturnPad.jpg

zmet said:
This japanese style Sega Saturn Controller is coming out for the PS2 - It was at the Tokyo Game Show. Imho, it's a whole lot better than the super thick Nuby fighting pads. I have two of the Ken pads and their okay, but the Sega Controller is the one to get. I just hope they have plans to make them for the Xbox.
SaturnPad.jpg

What are the chances of this coming to USA? Probably very slim, I think I'd rather buy the SF ones now before they're sold out and I'm screwed.

zmet said:
SaturnPad.jpg

Nice indeed. The Saturn pad is one of the best you use for 2D fighter IMHO. Any chances of this making it's way to the XBox or should I continue to rely on my controller converters?

teiresias

So is the Chun-Li version of the controller actually out yet? Gamestop says it's pre-release until 10/5 or something like that, or is that them waiting for a new shipment?

Neo_ZX

I've been searching for these pads since I heard about them. Nothing in Canada. I guess I'll import the Saturn ones. The Nubys look a lot like the ASCII pads for Dreamcast which I hated. Can anyone verify this?

zmet

They're far better than the terrible DC ASCII pads (yeah, I got burnt too) - the d pad on the Nuby has a great feel and the buttons have good response (not as good as the japanese Saturn pads), it's just that it's a little bulky at the bottom. Also the select and start buttons are in a bad position and you'll find yourself hitting the start button in heated battles. Otherwise, a very good fighting pad.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
teiresias said:
So is the Chun-Li version of the controller actually out yet? Gamestop says it's pre-release until 10/5 or something like that, or is that them waiting for a new shipment?

Must be a new shipment. I got mine from EBGames.com last week IIRC. I haven't seen the Chun-Li controller in stores though.

These controllers are freaking pieces of art! The retail packaging is first rate and the controllers themselves need to be held to be believed. I've actually got both an Akuma & Ryu, and I plan to pick up the others as well.

If any VG items deserved to be collectors items, these are it.

Top Bottom