• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
i'm pretty sure all esports games have a main website that provides update news and a community forum so all players just have to go to that website to find what they're looking for but sfv doesn't have one. for example, haunts have to post his weekly update on capcom unity but i do think a sizable amount of sfv users do not actively use twitter or know about haunts' blog so they would be out of the loop with the communication aspect of this sfv 'service'.

This is off-topic, but what's the source/story behind all those "character lying in a bed/kotatsu" pics like the one in your avatar?

Bonita outfit copped. Survial Easy and Normal in the bag. Not liking the color combinations for 7-10, so it looks like I don't have to suffer through Hard again, lol.

jeemer

Yeah, no, there's not empty dash in between, it is indeed qcf.lk~lp, qcf.lk~down+lp.
And you are right that the way they display these follow-up moves is quite bad, but at least there's now the demonstration option to see how the combo is supposed to look like. :)

Thank you kindly, at least I know what I'm aiming for now! I only had trouble getting my head around the way they displayed Karin's ... I dunno, sorta rekkas? having the command motion included in the lines for the followup really threw me off. I think I was similarly confused with Mika's followups at first.

QCF Down then plink LK~LP

Thanks, I'll try this when I get in. I only tried it for 5 mins or so last night and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't banging my head against a brick wall trying to introduce an empty command dash in the middle :)

Ludens

Banned
You should've gotten something for it. Sometimes when the game reports the FM you've made, they merge the survival money with the XP money so maybe that caused some confusion?

Complete Survival Easy 2,000 FM
Complete Survival Normal 5,000 FM
Complete Survival Hard 10,000 FM
Complete Survival Hell 20,000 FM

And yeah, it is way too early to report on Alex's position on the tier list. I remember people were shitting on Ken and Dhalsim too at first.

Yeah, I know, I checked in fact the message of unlocked stuff but there are no FM. Will post it later, but I really feels ripped off. First I lost 60k FM, now the game doesn't give me FM when it should...what the hell.

Mœbius

i'm pretty sure all esports games have a main website that provides update news and a community forum so all players just have to go to that website to find what they're looking for but sfv doesn't have one. for example, haunts have to post his weekly update on capcom unity but i do think a sizable amount of sfv users do not actively use twitter or know about haunts' blog so they would be out of the loop with the communication aspect of this sfv 'service'.
True, maybe not everyone is aware of the blog or twitter accounts, however, that's a) on Capcom to promote / advertise and push through channels and b) the frequency of said updates is not really the issue as opposed to the ability to build anticipation and let the community know things and coming, and finally c) make the actual content of the info drops detailed and clear. So again, the colour 14 and 15 issue comes to mind, or what's the permanent solution to RQ is going to be... and so on; why are these still being debated, why weren't they made clear in Haunts post? It's simply poor community engagement and understanding of things that your players are talking about / would like to know.

LakeEarth

You get more XP for beating people above your rank, even in casual mode. I'm really considering tanking* my rank so that I can switch back to casuals earn more XP per win without raising my rank back up, thus earning more overall FM.

*in this case, tanking means bringing my crappy Alex to ranked mode

Moaradin

I have way more than 400 wins with Karin and I'm level 42 right now. I did all the survival modes too, so I have pretty much all the exp you can get from the single player stuff.

You get more XP for beating people above your rank, even in casual mode. I'm really considering tanking* my rank so that I can switch back to casuals earn more XP per win without raising my rank back up, thus earning more overall FM.

*in this case, tanking means bringing my crappy Alex to ranked mode
You can just do that in casual tho...you level up in casual all the same.

50 is not that far away either, just play everyday for a little, I'm 41 with Ken.

vg260

50 is not that far away either, just play everyday for a little, I'm 41 with Ken.

Doesn't it take longer to raise level the higher you go? So level 40 to 50 would probably take as long as it takes to go from 0 to 30.

So, if you could talk directly with Capcom about how they have been managing communication around SFV and outline ways to improve their engagement with the community - what would you highlight?

Not talking about the game itself here; but the whole post-launch commitment to the game and the community.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately as - like most people - I think the game itself is great; but it really does feel like there isn't a clear and consistent dialogue going on as you'd expect from a game that was clearly being geared towards being a service and e-sports title with regular updates. I mean, it's been what - 10+ pages with posts asking about how exactly colours 14 and 15 are unlocked...? That's just absurd; it would take a simple tweet from Capcom to clarify that; or it should have been made crystal clear in the March update blog post... that is not the kind of thing you'd expect from DICE or Bungie when talking about updates to Battlefield and Destiny respectively (I realise the scale of the projects is different but let's not kid ourselves, Capcom are still a big publisher and should have resources to address their community, with absolutely no impact on their production / development resources for actual game fixes / updates).

In terms of communication about updates I would setup a weekly blog which would dispense information about upcoming patches and events surrounding Street Fighter V and related games. This would focus on teasing monthly content drops and iterating work on various technical issues that pervade the game.

In regards to other areas would focus on integrating tournament spectation into the actual game so as to engage all SFV users in the e-sports scene rather than just a select few with a predisposition. This would take some effort but it isn't difficult to integrate a streaming service to a video game, Naughtydog did it with Uncharted TV and MOBAs allow you to spectate live gameplay of pro players without issue. I would also use the 'events' section on the Playstation 4, to advertise all major SFV tournaments (this is good advertising too as non-owners could also use these to watch the game).

I would also increase passive engagement of non-pro players in the esports scene but incentivising spectatorship with fight money rewards. Smite does this, as you can bet 'points' on matches and depending on if your team win/lose you can be awarded with more points. Imagine if you could gamble fight money (or another currency) on tournament outcome? That would vastly increase community engagement in these events, inflating viewership for the Capcom tour.

This is somewhat unrelated but if I were Capcom I would also be looking to release a free to play version of Street Fighter V. Only Ryu would be playable, plus a free rotation, but alongside the implementation of other ideas, it would also offer an opportunity to engage a wider audience in the esports scene, which would hopefully extend to more players in the game.

At the moment Capcom should be worried about what League of Legends developers Riot Games are working on with the ex-developers of Rising Thunder. The developer know how to communicate with their game, their community, and their game and community within an esport environment. If they launch a big game, and their game is successful, the SFV esport scene will appear trivial in comparison. Pro players will drop the game because there will be more money in a game with more spectator-ship (due to better management and communication) and casual players will benefit from the games accessibility and positive channels of communication between developer and players.

Bonita outfit copped. Survial Easy and Normal in the bag. Not liking the color combinations for 7-10, so it looks like I don't have to suffer through Hard again, lol.
I was really close to pulling the trigger on the Bonita, but I haven't touched Laura since I began maining Karin. Need to start seriously practicing with her before I inevitably get the costume.

vg260

Hmm I dunno, haven't paid attention to it.

I think they said something to that effect early on when they were talking about leveling.

I can live with one color requiring a really high level, but for the live of god, they need to at the very least shift all of the survival unlock colors down to easy/normal and give you all 10 if you buy a costume. Ideally, take them out of survival altogether, but given someone thought the current system was reasonable, it might be wishful thinking :/

pixelish

This is off-topic, but what's the source/story behind all those "character lying in a bed/kotatsu" pics like the one in your avatar?

idk, there used to be a folder called cozy fighters containing pictures like my avatar but it's gone now. i think someone from /fgg/ made them.

Man, Karins number 6 & 8 trials are impossible? What is this fastest nonsense and how do I do on a pad? Seems like you're supposed to plink or something here, so annoying l, this is my last trial.

The way I did it (on pad) was:
jump in with heavy
c MK ~ qcf +LK ~LP
qcf, down, downback (23621) +LK ~LP

The way I went from cMK to LK was basically doing a qcb on the face buttons, so rolling over mk/lk/lp as if doing a tatsu.
Took me about 20 minutes this way, hope it helps.

LakeEarth

What I meant is, you get more XP for beating a higher ranked player (I get ~250 XP for beating a silver and 350 XP for beating a gold player). I was wondering if the amount of XP you earn is based on just opponent rank, or does your rank come into play too, i.e. will a silver player get more XP than a super silver player for beating the exact same opponent?

If so, I might want to play ranked until I drop down a rank, then see if the XP earned against similar rank opponents has changed. If it's only based on opponent rank, then you'd want to have a higher rank so that you get matched with > gold players more often.

I should test it out when I get home later today.

JudgeN

I'm having to do Survival mode again in my story mode costume to unlock new colors............. I'm fucking done capcom. Not doing this shit, why can't I just buy any color with FM?

Shito

I have the nagging suspicion that Mika doesn't quite condone the way I play her...

WeYLHRb.jpg

I'm having to do Survival mode again in my story mode costume to unlock new colors............. I'm fucking done capcom. Not doing this shit, why can't I just buy any color with FM?
IMO, all 10 should be available when you buy them like SF4. This is just silly.

myco666

Survival should really unlock all color tiers for all costumes and not just for the one you used clearing it.

How can you appeal to new guys like me with stupid stuff like that?

By selling you Exp boosters.

they need something for the higher levels. there should be much more in the future, hopefully.

Survival should really unlock all color tiers for all costumes and not just for the one you used clearing it.

yes. if you've earned it once, it should unlock for every costume on that character. i hope they change that.

LakeEarth

capcom really needs to do a bit of an overhaul on a few things lol

Capcom: "We designed Street Fighter 5 to appeal to casual gamers, as well as the hardcore fighting fans. Step 1, make combos slightly easier. Step 2 ...... uh, look over there!"

It also should let you keep your v-meter between rounds. I forget about it even existing after 25+ rounds where the AI was so shit that v-meter was never a factor.

tariniel

I can really feel my Bison game getting better every day now. It's pretty awesome being able to just feel that you've gotten better and that the practice has actually done something for your game.

The areas with Bison that I'm struggling with now are the people that clearly know the frame data and don't really fall for Bison's frame traps, and the people that are really good at teching throws. If they are good at both teching my throws AND blocking the frame traps... I feel like there isn't a whole lot I can do (or I just don't know what to do). I should probably adjust the timing on the throws/frame traps? These are the people that also don't really fall for dash shenanigans either.

There was a gold Vega player I queued into last night that just had my number. Every time I did anything, he had an answer for it. I was in awe at how good he was.

Also, Bison's story mode costume win pose is kinda dumb. This costume has no hat, but on the win pose, he still goes through the animation of taking the hat off, smooths his hair, and puts it back on, as if he had a hat. Otherwise the costume is really cool.

Rektash

Having to unlock colors for each costume is genius really. Just wait until you can pay your way through survival with Zenny! Capcom will be rich!

Pompadour

Survival needs to be both shorter, easier, and not have colors exclusively tied to it. I'd be fine if the FM payouts were decreased to compensate.

They should throw in some fun power ups like infinite super or infinite V-Gauge, just make it very expensive. Or temporary hyper armor, ability to cancel any normal, or start off with Rose's U2. Every 10th fight should be against a CPU with their own crazy power ups.

dk_

Still atrocious matchmaking. When I play Rocket League 3vs3 I have to wait like 10 seconds. I'd like to have people in my rank range, but that would lead to 1h queues.

Mediking

Having to unlock colors for each costume is genius really. Just wait until you can pay your way through survival with Zenny! Capcom will be rich!

It's incredibly sad but that's prolly Capcom's strategy. Survival Mode (above Easy) is too frustrating... especially for new guys like me. I really like Cammy and I will buy anything for her. Capcom knows there's people out there like me so they hope that I give in and just buy stuff with real cash.

I freaking love Cammy's Story Mode outfit, by the way. She is looking SO good. She's wearing black panties! I've been using Battle Costume Cammy so much that it's refreshing to see her wear something else really sexy.

Sorry if that sounded weird but Cammy is my main. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom