• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street racer with attitude...owned (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryck

That guy in the corvette didn't know how to drive........He still woulda got pulled on but that was shitty reaction time.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
JeffDowns said:
he walked on him, but i agree the vette owner has no skills... his take off was shitty.

Agreed... as an aisde a factory comparison would have the newest Vette at least a second faster than the highest performance newest factory Mustang.

belgurdo

Banned
It's more of a matter of the Vette owner either botching his start or not paying attention than the Mustang guy having a better car, but it's still funny to see him get owned.

Scoobert

I'll still take the Corvette either way. Take both cars to autocross then you'll see who would win or take it to street track. Corvette will be a hell of a lot better in the twisties.

Outlaw

Banned
Bwahahah.. VETTE DAMAGE CONTROL
00000016.gif
No matter what that stock vette had nothing against the Mustang. The mustang, judging by the take off, is a low 11 second car, the vette at best is low 13s.

Agreed... as an aisde a factory comparison would have the newest Vette at least a second faster than the highest performance newest factory Mustang.

Just like the current stock cobra is faster than the current vette, the new Cobra model will be faster than the new vette.

DarienA

Outlaw said:
Bwahahah.. VETTE DAMAGE CONTROL
00000016.gif
No matter what that stock vette had nothing against the Mustang. The mustang, judging by the take off, is a low 11 second car, the vette at best is low 13s.

Just like the current stock cobra is faster than the current vette, the new Cobra model will be faster than the new vette.

A 2004 Cobra will do 4.5 sec according to many sites.
A 2004 Commemorative Edition Z06 will do do it in 4.0 sec according to many sites.

DarienA

Outlaw said:
0 to 60 is not the same as 1/4 mile . You lose...NEXT

Motor Trend actually puts them pretty close... NEXT.

Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R
Standing quarter mile, sec/mph 12.9/110.8

2005 Chevrolet Corvette
1/4 mile, sec @ mph 12.5 @ 115.0

EDIT:

Car & Driver says

Mustang:
Standing 1/4-mile 14.1–15.5 sec

Vette:
Standing 1/4-mile 12.7 sec @ 113 mph

Both are estimates of the newest models coming down the pipe based on not complete road test yet.

Outlaw

Banned
You're already using the 2005 corvette model which has been improved to outperform the 03 and 04 cobras. The reason there will not be a 2005 cobra model is to somehow manage to make it run with the new vette but keep it at $20,000 less as its always been.

By the way, the Cobra R is not the same as the regular cobra nor the saleen.

Hehehe...those car & driver times are mustang GT times not cobra. Even those times are too high since the 05 GTs have 50 more horsepower thann the 99 & up and run 13.9s so I'd expect the 05s times to be lower. The Cobra times are in the low 13s same as the non 05 vettes. Again, at $20,000 dollars less, I'd expect to lose by more than a hundreth of a second.

DarienA

Outlaw said:
You're already using the 2005 corvette model which has been improved to outperform the 03 and 04 cobras. The reason there will not be a 2005 cobra model is to somehow manage to make it run with the new vette but keep it at $20,000 less as its always been.

By the way, the Cobra R is not the same as the regular cobra nor the saleen.

Hehehe...those car & driver times are mustang GT times not cobra. Even those times are too high since the 05 GTs have 50 more horsepower thann the 99 & up and run 13.9s so I'd expect the 05s times to be lower. The Cobra times are in the low 13s same as the non 05 vettes. Again, at $20,000 dollars less, I'd expect to lose by more than a hundreth of a second.

Ok wait, wait, wait.... you can't just drop the Saleen in there passing the Saleen's price is pretty high up there.. and I can't even remember if you can buy a Saleen through the Ford network.

Secondly I do know the difference between the Cobra, the Cobra R and the Saleen. Let's stick with vehicles you can get from the dealership that would top us out at what the Cobra R and the 06 right?

In the end this comes back to the age old what type of performance are you looking for question.

Mach 1 Mustangs were the king of the dragstrips but Boss Mustangs had better overall performance.

Alot of factors can go into winning and losing a drag strip race(as we saw in that clip).

As an aside... I thought I saw in passing that the new Mustangs are running on the Lincoln LS platform... I haven't checked to confirm... for some reason I found that interesting...

Outlaw

Banned
Alot of factors can go into winning and losing a drag strip race(as we saw in that clip).
There was no factor in that race. Even if the vette ran a perfect race it would have gotten smoked.

It all comes to preference. I prefer the mustangs due to their performance to $ ratio. The Mustang GT was priced the same as a V6 camaro yet performed the same as the Z28 priced the same as a cobra performing corvette numbers.. Once more, for $20,000 less I expect to lose by more than a tenth of a second.

As an aside... I thought I saw in passing that the new Mustangs are running on the Lincoln LS platform... I haven't checked to confirm... for some reason I found that interesting...

I have no idea about that.

By the way, I do drive a mustang. And planning on getting another one
00000005.gif

Outlaw said:
I have no idea about that.

No shit? Wow, that's surprising considering the way you were talking in this thread. By the way, I don't drive a Corvette, but I'll tell ya, I don't like Mustangs very much. ;)

AirBrian

DarienA said:
Ford originally planned on using the Lincoln LS platform, but decided to can it and build a new one from the ground up that was less expensive. The new one uses a MacPherson strut front suspension and uses a live-axle rear suspension. Cobras will have an independant rear suspension like they do now. Damn Ford -- you could at least put it in GTs as well.

Ah, and they're also using 3-valve heads...but it's supposed to increase HP/torque to 300/315 on GTs. :D

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
For starters...even if that Vette had a good take off, he still wouldn't be anywhere near that Mustang. That Mustang is sooooo far away from being stock, that it's not even funny. 11 seconds? Try 10, if not 9. That take off was monstrous. I'd predict his 0-60 was about 3.5 seconds, compared to that Vette's 5.0 seconds (5.5 if the Vette is an auto). Take off or no take off, there is absolutely no way you can defend that poor Corvette. It got owned. The driver must've felt insanely embarassed, thus he got owned too. That video was one giant ball of ownage.

Did you see that Mustang raise as soon as he took off? He didn't even spin out. That thing's insane. I've seen very few cars take off like that, obviously that guy knows his shit. I wonder what PSi he was pushing with his nitrous. Damn that take off was something...

AlphaSnake

DarienA said:

Ford has used the Mustang engine in their Lincoln Towncars since the very early 90s. And now the new Mustang rides on the upgraded LS platform, but an upgraded engine.

RedMaiden said:
For starters...even if that Vette had a good take off, he still wouldn't be anywhere near that Mustang. That Mustang is sooooo far away from being stock, that it's not even funny. 11 seconds? Try 10, if not 9.

The guy in the background during the video says something like "that was a 9.5". Ok, so after I've watched the video, I'll also say that that was a heavily modified 5.0. Those things can put some serious power to the ground when done right. Now, back on the topic of stock vs. stock, I think a Corvette should most certainly take a Mustang any day of the week.

Shinobi

Time to show a little love to the 'Vett...over the weekend they were able to get their third class win at the famed Le Mans race in four years (including my boy Ron Fellows finishing second).

071__scaled_600.jpg

088__scaled_600.jpg

087__scaled_600.jpg

089__scaled_600.jpg

090__scaled_600.jpg

091__scaled_600.jpg

092__scaled_600.jpg

093__scaled_600.jpg

094__scaled_600.jpg

095__scaled_600.jpg

097__scaled_600.jpg

More pics to come...provided these images work, heh.

DarienA

RedMaiden said:
Ford has used the Mustang engine in their Lincoln Towncars since the very early 90s. And now the new Mustang rides on the upgraded LS platform, but an upgraded engine.

This is the same platform that's shared with the baby Jag correct?

Shinobi

BTW, that vid is nothing compared to the one showing a Chrysler Magic Wagon absolutely obliterating a Dodge Camero in a drag race. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and exlempifies ownage to perfection.

AlphaSnake

DarienA said:
This is the same platform that's shared with the baby Jag correct?

Only the cheap and shitty Jags use a Ford platform. Both a lower-end Jag and a new Taurus will probably feel like the exact same car...and that's scary*.

*Word of the day. I used it 4 times already today on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom