• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: don't hug your dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
you're actually terrifying them as you engulf them

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/pets/dogs-hate-hugs-study-suggests/ar-BBsi8G8?ocid=ansmsnlife11
The study analyzed 250 Internet photos of people hugging their dogs, scanning for for known signs of anxiety in the dog, including turning their head away, showing the whites of the eyes and slicked back ears.

Coren's data revealed that 82 percent of dogs in the photos showed at least one of those signs of stress. About 8 percent of dogs seemed happy with the hug and the remaining 10 percent appeared neutral or showed an ambiguous response toward the gesture.

"Dogs are technically cursorial animals, which is a term that indicates that they are designed for swift running. That implies that in times of stress or threat the first line of defense that a dog uses is not his teeth, but rather his ability to run away," Coren wrote.

"Behaviorists believe that depriving a dog of that course of action by immobilizing him with a hug can increase his stress level and, if the dog’s anxiety becomes significantly intense, he may bite."

If you want to show your dog you love them, Coren recommends petting them or giving them "a kind word" instead.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Science can't tell me what to do. If I want to hug Scruffles, I'll fucking hug Scruffles. Stupid science bitches can't even build a car with a big enough cup holder, why the hell would I listen to them?

My dog is 70 lbs and loves to give me licks 24/7 as I'm playing games and watching Hulu.

As revenge he gets hugs and kisses. If he really fucks up I blow on his nose.

If you feel bad for him keep in mind he lays right on me, and also will karate slap my glasses off. It's a symbiotic relationship of annoying each other.

Steel

Banned
My dog is 70 lbs and loves to give me licks 24/7 as I'm playing games and watching Hulu.

As revenge he gets hugs and kisses. If he really fucks up I blow on his nose.

If you feel bad for him keep in mind he lays right on me, and also will karate slap my glasses off. It's a symbiotic relationship of annoying each other.

Other than the fact that she's 30 pounds lighter, you just described my dog to a tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom