• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: Local White Racism Correlates w/ # Of Black People Killed By US Police

Gattsu25

Banned
Article Source: http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-racism-whites-blacks-20170727-story.html
Original Study: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1948550617711229?journalCode=sppa

Some of the stereotypes that prevail in a given geographic area go unrecognized by the people who hold them, and even more often, they’re not acknowledged. But psychologists know that such bias is widespread.

New research finds that when more white people in a community hold African Americans in greater suspicion, that prevailing view may influence police behavior in ways that drive the outsize use of lethal force against African Americans by cops.

In a study published Thursday, a trio of psychologists built a map of the racial bias and stereotypes that prevail among whites across the United States. They gathered individuals’ answers to a pair of online tests that measure implicit bias and stereotypes about black and white people. [Then], they arranged them in geographical clusters according to the recorded location of the test-taker.

When the researchers overlaid those maps with their hot spots of white racial bias and presumption of violent intent against African Americans, they discerned a strong correlation with a very different map: one showing where, in the first nine months of 2015, African Americans were killed by police in disproportionate numbers.

The study, published in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science, was conducted by psychologists Eric Hehman and Jessica K. Flake of Ryerson and York universities, respectively, in Toronto, and by UC Davis social psychologist Jimmy Calanchini.

It relied upon millions of individuals’ scores on online tests taken between 2003 and 2013. Those quizzes use word associations and time pressure to capture beliefs and associations that people hold and make without always being aware of those biases. The researchers also used a database of people killed by police in the United States (called “The Counted”) that has been compiled by the the Guardian newspaper since the start of 2015.

Of the two measures of community belief — implicit racial bias and a stereotyped view that black people are more threatening than whites — the latter was a better predictor of disproportionate police killings of black people. When many more white people in a given community revealed in tests that they considered black people more threatening than whites, that community was more likely to have rates of lethal force against black people that were out of proportion to their numbers in the local population.
More at the source.

Throw this into the "Shocking News" pile but it's good to have data to back it up.

It makes sense, as many police officers police communities they live near. However, it's a good indicator that police killing of black americans can be, and more than likely are, influenced by racism.

Strike

tenor.gif

WedgeX

Banned
Is there a map anywhere? Did not see one in the LA Times and that article link won't let me open it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I mean the only people that deny stuff like this are typically shitty people themselves, the reality of this has been has been pretty much in everyone's face for ages now.

Yeah, I don't know what to say about this. There's a metric tonne of these studies along with actual black people being open about their experiences with police and in communities like this and it still seems like the people who should be listening and reading it never are. BLM still gets called an unnecessary, hate group. Black people are constantly being accused of having a collective chip on their shoulders. We're equally told that racism is over and at the same time racism will end one day and we're just not patient enough. Etc. I'll add this to my growing list of articles and research regard things like this but the people who need to see it most are seemingly either: never around to read and internalize it or read it and simply don't care. I dunno, I'm just tired because I know I'll have to drag this exact article out in the future to disprove some misguided attempt at talking about black peoples' "inherent criminality" or some other bs.

Apt101

I mean, the police force is overwhelmingly sourced from those areas so it makes sense. A more distrustful, hateful population would tend to coincide with a more distrustful, hateful police force.

Kicko

What's sad is reading the comment section from the LA times article. People are dismissing the study without even reading the full report of the study itself.

Denial and ignorance has to be a heavy burden to bare. Over time you think these people would give in, but nope.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Even the racists aren't shocked by this news. They just go the other direction with it. More "violent blacks" -> More scared white people.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah, I don't know what to say about this. There's a metric tonne of these studies along with actual black people being open about their experiences with police and in communities like this and it still seems like the people who should be listening and reading it never are. BLM still gets called an unnecessary, hate group. Black people are constantly being accused of having a collective chip on their shoulders. We're equally told that racism is over and at the same time racism will end one day and we're just not patient enough. Etc. I'll add this to my growing list of articles and research regard things like this but the people who need to see it most are seemingly either: never around to read and internalize it or read it and simply don't care. I dunno, I'm just tired because I know I'll have to drag this exact article out in the future to disprove some misguided attempt at talking about black peoples' "inherent criminality" or some other bs.
Yeah, this is nothing new to people that are invested in black lives. That means that it is likely new to around 46% of the country.

Is it shocking to anyone that cared?
No :(

Still, good to keep in the back pocket for people that find the concept that police officers can harbor racism a world shattering and unexpected revelation

sh4mike

Quote somehow misses the counter-argument.

"Researchers have long believed that demographic factors such as poverty, high crime and employment rates, and a preponderance of idle young men are the most powerful drivers of police officers’ use of lethal force. Because black communities typically have higher rates of all those factors, outsize rates of police killings in those communities are to be expected, many believe. The new research does not cast doubt on that explanation."

It's correlation versues causality. Do cops use more force because local whites are irrationally afraid, or are whites more afraid in locations where blacks have higher violent crime rates which represents the true driver of officer behavior.

It's complex, which tends to get glossed over in responses to these correlation statistics by folks not versed in statistical theory.

Top Bottom