• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuruyuri S1 01:

It's like K-On, but on yuri steroids and no band.

Akarin = Yui. She has a sister who's creepily into her (Ui)
Kyouko = Mugi/Ritsu combo. If Mugi's yuri-love was multiplied by Ritsu's gung-ho attitude, you'd get Kyouko
Yui = Mio. The straight-man to Kyouko's Ritsu, the princely girl
Chinatsu = Azu-nyan. The new girl, twin tails, immediately taken by the Mio
Ayano = Nodoka x 1,000 intensity.

I'm sure this'll change later.

Took you long enough to start watching this!

Some people come, some people don't even exist! Instead of cute girls doing cute things it's more cute girls ... yuri.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 16:

The historical Ashikaga Yoshiteru was the last shogun to hold any real influence over Japan's daimyo before the Sengoku era and attempted to negotiate peace treaties between several rival daimyo. Sengoku Collection Ashikaga Yoshiteru sits around sipping tea while plotting petty revenge for schoolyard pranks from her childhood.

The historical Yagyuu Sekishuusai was a general for the Yagyuu Clan who possessed a keen interest in the military arts and helped to develop a form of weaponless combat while studying under the samurai Kamiizumi Nobutsuna. Sengoku Collection Yagyuu Sekishuusai is a heterochromiac with terrible fashion sense who hangs out with fellow Sengoku peeps because she has nothing better to do.

The historical Sen no Rikyuu was a famous scholar of tea ceremony. Sengoku Collection Sen no Rikyuu is a meido who makes Ashikaga Yoshiteru's tea.

aSVjNl.jpg

Revenge is a dish best served spicy.

Wow, that was actually legitimately really entertaining. This episode was the story of a petty revenge plot that backfires horribly and involves lots of really spicy food and contorted faces of disgust. I would probably recommend this episode to non-weekly watchers even though it's not Kaneko fare just because it's good old slapstick and girls-making-asses-of-themselves fun.

I hereby declare cheeto dust moe to be the next big thing:

And props to Brains Base as usual for at least making visually-interesting backgrounds when they're going to play it cheap and only have a handful of backdrops used repeatedly through an entire episode. There were a lot of interesting cuts to mechanical toys mirroring the actions of the characters.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Took you long enough to start watching this!

Some people come, some people don't even exist! Instead of cute girls doing cute things it's more cute girls ... yuri.

I'm okay with this.

Honestly I'm not sure why I didn't watch it when it first came around. It just kinda slipped by for whatever reason. :/ Same thing happens to me with games too, there'll be some game that everyone I know is playing and I KNOW I should be playing it with them, but for some reason I don't. I'll get to it, I tell myself. Often, "getting to it" ends up taking years.

'tis why it took me forever to play Halo, for example.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I liked the steins gate anime art
its more unique than most. I think its the eyes and excessive use of brightness.
Shit, I actually agree with Uchip on something. That's weird.

Also, the visual novel art for S;G is fantastic.
I love Steins;Gate and all, but that is a pretty rotten opinion.
To think I used to sort of say a few sentences to you in mumble. You are dead to me.

P.S. What the fuck happened to crackbaby?

Traveling Daru

This is a charming little short about a girl who gets separated from her handmade daruma-like stuffed doll while at an airport - it was originally screened earlier this year at Tokyo's Haneda Airport - and follows the doll's globetrotting as he attempts to get back to her. Aside from some brief Engrish at the end, it's completely wordless. For what it is, it's very effective. The bond between the girl and her doll, the poignancy of their separation, and the passage of time is efficiently portrayed. While the animation is not particularly noteworthy, the art design is attractive and the direction is quite good, with some clever tricks such as the use of raindrops. The atmospheric music tops off the emotional package. I certainly felt the tears welling up by the end.

This was produced by Shinkai's studio, Comix Wave, and while Shinkai himself was not involved (it was directed by the character designer for Place Promised, Ushio Tazawa), it still has his trademark attention to clouds:

I would recommend this to anyone; your 10 minutes will not be wasted.

Boss Man

So is Bleach still cool or is that like going to an indie music forum and asking about Creed?

Was thinking about checking out where that show has gone since I stopped watching.

Sengoku Collection 16:

Wow, that was actually legitimately really entertaining. This episode was the story of a petty revenge plot that backfires horribly and involves lots of really spicy food and contorted faces of disgust. I would probably recommend this episode to non-weekly watchers even though it's not Kaneko fare just because it's good old slapstick and girls-making-asses-of-themselves fun.

I trust your judgement on these matters.

Wait, was another Index announced?

There's an Index movie coming out next year.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shit, I actually agree with Uchip on something. That's weird.

Also, the visual novel art for S;G is fantastic.

To think I used to sort of say a few sentences to you in mumble. You are dead to me.

P.S. What the fuck happened to crackbaby?
If you guys are so in love with the inadequate art of Steins;Gate how do you feel about other White Fox works like Jormungand?

And I figured if anyone knew what happened to crackbaby it would be you.

Nafe

Those character designs give me Idolmaster vibes.

Yeah, it's been revealed that the character designer is Akai Toshifumi who did the animation character designs for Sora no Woto and the currently airing Kokoro Connect. Both of which many people, myself included, say reminds them of K-On!'s designs. While I can see this looking at the designs posted in some of the pictures, others times they still look a lot like Atsushi Nishigori's designs, such as used in The Idolm@ster, to me.

http://www.fantasistadoll.com/

It hurts to look at some of these character designs.

It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. Something... bad.

The character design looked really familiar to me, especially the eyes. According to the site though, the animated character designer is Hiromi Kato, who did the animated designs for
Guilty Crown
. Is this what reminded you of something bad? Or did I miss the joke? While the hair looks similar the designs otherwise don't really remind me of that show at all.

Someone mentioned the studio working on the show is Amber Film Works. They apparently worked on Najica Blitz Tactics and a show called Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo. It's about a 26 year old girl who's married and a magical girl. So that's like Housewife Mahou Shoujo!

Also, it looks like the BTOOOM! anime is set for this October, as is Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo:

http://www.btooom.com/onair/index.html
http://www.sakurasou.tv/

Though for the time being the former's website seems a bit messed up.

...man, we are going to get a media overload from C82, aren't we.

The art looks oreimo-ish.

Yeah, they kind of look somewhat like Oreimo. According to the website the character designer is Masahiro Fujii, who did the character designs for shows like Dream Eater Merry, Hayate the Combat Butler and Zero no Tsukaima. I've never seen any of those shows yet but I can recognize them by their character design and Sakuraso's designs don't look like any of those shows to me.

Tomat

If you guys are so in love with the inadequate art of Steins;Gate how do you feel about other White Fox works like Jormungand?

I liked Jormungand as well, specifically some of the character designs. They did Katanagatari too didn't they (according to Wikipedia)? I didn't watch the whole thing but I thought that looked good too.

Also crack doesn't answer his phone, was curious if I missed him on mumble or something in the past week or so.

So is Bleach still cool or is that like going to an indie music forum and asking about Creed?

Was thinking about checking out where that show has gone since I stopped watching.

They stopped the anime at the arc before this current, final arc in the manga. Hopefully they return to it someday as it had the best battles. Definitely return to it as it was really good.

dimb

I liked Jormungand as well, specifically some of the character designs.
There are sort of pieces of it I like, but I can't help but feel like the budget or execution just isn't there.
Also crack doesn't answer his phone, was curious if I missed him on mumble or something in the past week or so.
Haven't seen him at all.

Jormungand has the manga style. Unique but but not for everyone.

The show has different problems like to make an anime based on a 11 volumes long manga with just 24 episodes.

Articalys

What on earth...
A one-time TV home shopping special will be aired on Japan's Tokyo MX station from 9 to 10 p.m. on August 14 in order to promote sales of the upcoming Hidamari Sketch × 365 Blu-ray Disc box, which will be released on August 22. The Blu-ray box for the series will include extras such as bonus episodes, a special booklet, a fandisc, and audio commentaries. The box will cost 27,300 yen (about US$348). The special will be hosted by Aniplex publicist Yuma Takahashi, as well as a presenter only credited as "Yunocchi." The special will be the first of its kind within the world of anime promotion, and fans who purchase the box through the program will receive a special bonus item limited only to the program.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I trust your judgement on these matters.

Hey, hey, it's not that good! There's nothing particularly noteworthy about the art, animation, direction, or anything relevant to the academic appreciation of anime. It's just good for a one-off comedic plot, and humor being extraordinarily relative and whatnot, I can make no promises.

I hope that the exclusive bonus is some kind of Hidamari-themed Quacker Factory sweater.

People around here don't like to talk about it. I still think it's a not bad series with some high highs. Where did you leave off?

Personally, I love to talk about Bleach, just not for the reasons that you might.

Jormungand has the manga style. Unique but but not for everyone.

The show has different problems like to make an anime based on a 11 volumes long manga with just 24 episodes is maybe not the best idea.

Tomat

why is it weird? I dont recall you being any kind of nemesis
It's a bit of a joke, sometimes some people on mumble and I bug the shit out of Haly with dumb questions about furry-GAF and its members.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's an ongoing shounen series that started in 2008. Those don't get out of the intro phases in 2 volumes.
If this thing isn't split cour, then they really should have just condensed this intro or just skipped it altogether.
This is a time where the Natsu no Arashi/Tasogare Otome method of having the first episode take place at the end of the series would have been helpful probably.

I hope it's like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and it's a cartoon character interacting with real humans. lol

If this thing isn't split cour, then they really should have just condensed this intro or just skipped it altogether.
This is a time where the Natsu no Arashi/Tasogare Otome method of having the first episode take place at the end of the series would have been helpful probably.

It's a comedy show, what exactly would be the point of condensing things? Are people watching this show for the plot?

dimb

how is the art inadequate exactly? it looks a hell of a lot less generic than whatever that is in your avatar
Are you really going to dump on the best looking show of the season? While praising White Fox?

I know the characters in Jormungand are supposed to have animal qualities, but c'mon Uchip. The double eyebrows. The absurdly spartan and awkward environments. The show is a mess visually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom