• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume they're going to be like nearly every single anime movie that recaps a TV series (apart from the Utena movie) and feature a lot of old footage with some new scenes sprinkled in from time to time.

Well... recent macross F movies were nearly entirely different from the show (and I would argue better overall) as well.

But were they marketed as a recap? I recall the first one used a lot of old stuff...

hmmm...

Jex

Gundam 00 episodes 14-16
Well that just killed half my interest.
The overpowered gundams finally get an actual challenge and are being defeated when suddenly out of nowhere 3 'super' gundams show up and eliminate most of the other forces.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, it leads to one of the best scenes in the whole series.
Almost as ugly as Big O.

Is this post entirely serious, Ultimadrago? If it is then we're going to need to have words

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I assume they're going to be like nearly every single anime movie that recaps a TV series (apart from the Utena movie) and feature a lot of old footage with some new scenes sprinkled in from time to time.

I'm not a fan of this method, which is why I avoid virtually all recap films! I don't have the patience to wade through what's largely an incredibly long clip reel just for a few morsels of new animation. Adolescence Mokushiroku's method of capturing the "essence" of its parent series as opposed to a straight retelling is infinitely preferable, but it's too expensive and high-concept for the purpose that the average recap film serves, I suppose.

Branduil

I'm not a fan of this method, which is why I avoid virtually all recap films! I don't have the patience to wade through what's largely an incredibly long clip reel just for a few morsels of new animation. Adolescence Mokushiroku's method of capturing the "essence" of its parent series as opposed to a straight retelling is infinitely preferable, but it's too expensive and high-concept for the purpose that the average recap film serves, I suppose.

I guess that method is better, but it also results in weird crap like Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea.

Gintama 38

8PPYJ.jpg

What a nice Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon!

Also, nice fireworks story at the end.

New ED which isn't as good as the last one but does tell me I would want a Gintama based at a school show now or at least an episode of it.

Jex

Adolescence Apocalypse isn't even close to being a recap of Utena TV.

Right, that's the point because most anime movies based off of a series are just straight recaps and Adolescence of Utena doesn't do that. I suppose other examples of movies that aren't just straight recaps are: Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 and Eureka Seven: Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers.

Jex

Space Battleship Yamato and Time Jam are genuinely fun shows if you are a fan of space-based science fiction.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. Space Battleship Yamato is pretty tedious to watch these days and the pacing is quite painful. I wouldn't recommend that anyone watch it unless they happen to have some interest in the history of anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I suppose other examples of movies that aren't just straight recaps are: Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 and Eureka Seven: Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers.

I hereby rescind my previous statement supporting a preference for alternate story interpretations over straight recaps.

duckroll

Right, that's the point because most anime movies based off of a series are just straight recaps and Adolescence of Utena doesn't do that. I suppose other examples of movies that aren't just straight recaps are: Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 and Eureka Seven: Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers.

I dunno if "most" is accurate either. Every year we have a Bleach and Naruto movie which isn't a recap. Last year we had FMA Milos and K-On which weren't recaps either. This year we're also getting a Fairy Tale and Blue Exorcist movie which aren't recaps. These are all 100% original movies. Next month's Tiger & Bunny movie is apparently going to have a lot of new footage too.

I'm really not seeing the "most" at all here. In fact, we could probably put together a list of all anime movies based on a series in the last 5 years, and I'm fairly confident that not even 30% of them will be straight recap movies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if I'd agree with that. Space Battleship Yamato is pretty tedious to watch these days and the pacing is quite painful. I wouldn't recommend that anyone watch it unless they happen to have some interest in the history of anime.
Well, I mean Space Battleship Yamato 2199 specifically, since I haven't seen the original (yet).

There's an in show reason for it. It's the same reason that you can 'sink' in space.
Well, fair enough. lol

Articalys

So is this canon?
Hiroyuki Yoshino (Macross Frontier, Accel World, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion) is scripting the film based on the original novels' author Kazuma Kamachi's new story. Kamachi also wrote several dozen pages that flesh out new details of Academy City and the Magic side, sample text for characters and scenes, and story details just for the film.
I guess so, if it's coming from Kamachi. I don't know much about the Toaruverse anyway.

Jex

I dunno if "most" is accurate either. Every year we have a Bleach and Naruto movie which isn't a recap. Last year we had FMA Milos and K-On which weren't recaps either. This year we're also getting a Fairy Tale and Blue Exorcist movie which aren't recaps. These are all 100% original movies. Next month's Tiger & Bunny movie is apparently going to have a lot of new footage too.

I'm really not seeing the "most" at all here. In fact, we could probably put together a list of all anime movies based on a series in the last 5 years, and I'm fairly confident that not even 30% of them will be straight recap movies.

I was only talking about recap movies or movies that cover the same basic story as the series, not 'most anime movies based off of a series'. Those are two different subjects. As I said in my original post:

Jexhius said:
I assume they're going to be like nearly every single anime movie that recaps a TV series
It's not exactly a secret that shounen TV series adaptations, which is the genre that's pretty much every work you mention falls into, get movies which cover material that's different from the series. They've been doing that for a long time. The reasons for this are obvious as well - if you have a shounen action TV series it's pretty easy to select material that's best for movie, or just create brand new content that doesn't tie into anything.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Good God, it must be hard to polish a turd sometimes. There are official screens of Ufotable's new opening animation for Fate/Stay Night on Vita, and honestly it just doesn't look that good at all: http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/game/fatevita/cg/

:(

Look at this shit:

I guess that they did what they could under the terrible constraint of having to be completely faithful to the original character designs. I can live with it, especially since it's not like I'll ever get to play it anyway ._.

duckroll

I was only talking about recap movies or movies that cover the same basic story as the series, not 'most anime movies based off of a series'. Those are two different subjects.

It's not exactly a secret that shounen TV series adaptations get movies which cover material that's different from the series. They've been doing that for a long, long time.

But that's not what you said. In fact, it would be kinda odd if you were only talking about recap movies since your statement would be kinda awkward. Like "People die when they're killed" or something. If you're talking about movies that "cover the same basic story as the series" that gets kinda vague in terms of what counts and what doesn't. Because you included the E7 movie there, and that's absolutely not the same basic story as the series at all. It is in no way similar in any way, other than the "creative" use of recycled footage. The characters aren't even the same people and there are no similar story arcs at all.

So I'm still confused as to what you are really trying to say here.

Jex

But that's not what you said. In fact, it would be kinda odd if you were only talking about recap movies since your statement would be kinda awkward. Like "People die when they're killed" or something. If you're talking about movies that "cover the same basic story as the series" that gets kinda vague in terms of what counts and what doesn't. Because you included the E7 movie there, and that's absolutely not the same basic story as the series at all. It is in no way similar in any way, other than the "creative" use of recycled footage. The characters aren't even the same people and there are no similar story arcs at all.

So I'm still confused as to what you are really trying to say here.

But it is what I said.
This is my original post:

Jex

But Utena doesn't recap a TV series. Again, more holes in your logic! When will it end?!

But what's what I mean even if I explained myself poorly, by which I mean I wrote the wrong thing.

My original point was going to be that he Utena movie wasn't a recap, or a sequel or a side story, it was like another variation on the central concept that had a number of similarities and a number of differences to the original material. This is an unusual route to take when you're making a movie which has had a TV series because the main two methods for making a movie that ties into a series tends to be either be:

- a quick cash grab recap like Evangelion: Death and Rebirth

or

- another story set in the same world as the series that might tie into the show or it might not like Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heanven's Door and One Piece Movie 6.

The whole 'another variation on the same general concept' along the lines of the Escaflowne movie is an option that's rarely explored.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But Utena doesn't recap a TV series. Again, more holes in your logic! When will it end?!

Well, I suppose that general thematic recaps fall under his umbrella for "recap movies". I suppose that this is actually a debate over what does and doesn't constitute a recap movie, and whether or not Jexhius is "right" ultimately depends on where one stands on the issue.

Narag

Do you remember the name Guillo? Well he/she then changed names to Arks and now they're _Keiichi_.

They had this as their first avatar:
images

I wondered who Arks was. The intimate knowledge of the Nasuverse should havet tipped me off.

duckroll

But what's what I mean even if I explained myself poorly, by which I mean I wrote the wrong thing.

My original point was going to be that he Utena movie wasn't a recap, or a sequel or a side story, it was like another variation on the central concept that had a number of similarities and a number of differences to the original material. This is an unusual route to take when you're making a movie which has had a TV series because the main two methods for making a movie that ties into a series tends to be either be:

- a quick cash grab recap like Evangelion: Death and Rebirth

or

- another story set in the same world as the series that might tie into the show or it might not like Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heanven's Door and One Piece Movie 6.

The whole 'another variation on the same general concept' along the lines of the Escaflowne movie is an option that's rarely explored.

But why would you lump that together with recap movies if that's the case? What's confusing is that there is no point comparing them. Like, I fail to see the similarities between the Macross Frontier movies and the Escaflowne movie. Or the Gurren Lagann movies with the Utena movie. There isn't much... similarity there at all.

On the other hand, you also have movies like the RahXephon and Eureka Seven movies, which use a lot of recycled footage and scenes, but tell very different core stories. This is much more extreme in the case of the E7 movie, but both films are also not very comparable to anything else because of the strange doctrine they were made under.

The lesson here is that there are so many different ways to exploit and milk an existing IP. :p

fertygo

I thought night shot in F/Z always look like that though, at least Kirei look great as always.

EDIT: everything look fine for me except that one shot, maybe there's camera moving effect on that shot or something.

And I approve pimp Gil with mohawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom