• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
I love Kid Icarus Uprising, and hate to say Sakurai-bias, but the more I look at the overall picture, I can't deny he really did give it a lot of love. Two new characters, one who has 12 unique moves, a new stage, tons of Smash Run enemies and items, and it gets four extra songs in Smash Run...

Now Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon have a whole bunch of stuff, but that's likely Nintendo's doing since they're popular. But not so for Kid Icarus...funny after Sakurai made such a big deal in the pre-release of Brawl that he was worried giving Kirby so much attention...

It sucks, because I have a feeling in the coming weeks people are going to really look down on Uprising because of this.
Don't worry, there are probably four new Smash Run-only Metroid songs to make up for the reused Melee tracks on Brinstar.

Right?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So how is Game and Watch? From what I've seen, he looks to be closer to Melee G&W in quality than brawl. :(

Mik317

The online is great as long as you are near your wireless router and have good internet. It feels the same as offline to me.

They are. I liked him in Brawl, but now he feels even better. I actually beat classic on 9.0 with him.

You beat classic on 9.0?

I don't have the full game but that shit looked impossible.

Are you Jesus?

Anteo

Wow there really is no shieldstun, the ZSS did a usmash just after blocking the palunena fair.
So jigly can potentialy go for rest as a punish?

Fireblend

Banned
I just realized I've put 8 hours into the Smash demo so far, with about 4 of those spent in local multiplayer with my brother.

Holy shit. This game will end my life.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Duck and Dog and Banjo-Kazooie share the same archtype of a mammal and bird fighting together. I'm not saying DHD plays anything like Banjo-Kazooie would. I've played the B-K series and I've seen footage of DHD in Smash and they are nothing alike aside from said concept. However, I latched onto DHD because it reminded me ever so slightly of another duo that I remember fondly. I'm sorry, but saying that I can't like a character because of that is ridiculous and seems elitist to me. Should I have acted like a jerk to people who made Blackheart comparisons to Dormammu when he was announced for MvC3? No, they found something that reminded them of another character they liked, and latched on to it. If I was a longtime Dormammu fan, I should be happy for those people that they now like the character rather than calling them annoying for comparing him to Blackheart. (I didn't actually know who Dormammu was prior to MvC3 but you get the idea)

Uhh? I think you are blowing out of proportion because I haven't saying or implying anything that you can't like a character or so. I'm saying that I found the notion of people acting like DHD was mostly inspired by B&K or their moves = 100% B&K and the colors were inspired by B&K which isn't complete true.

If you think I did, then please point at the statement that I said that YOU CAN'T LIKE THE CHARACTER.

I would agreed with you that they shared similar archetype for having bird friend and being mammal, and the peck/fly attack. Overall, they are not really similar.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
You beat classic on 9.0?

I don't have the full game but that shit looked impossible.

Are you Jesus?

Yes I beat it. No I'm not Jesus. :p

You just need to know what your strongest, fastest aerials are so you can chain them, then shield and dodge attacks accordingly. It's fairly easy. If you time your shields correctly then Master Core's attacks won't break it.

Makai

Yes I beat it. No I'm not Jesus. :p

You just need to know what your strongest, fastest aerials are so you can chain them, then shield and dodge attacks accordingly. It's fairly easy. If you time your shields correctly then Master Core's attacks won't break it.
Yeah. Hardest part is the swords

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As long as I can remember Heath on here, he's been talking about the Duck Hunt Dog. I thought it was cute little dream...but dammit look at where we are now lol. A part of me still can't believe.

Haha, yeah it's hard to believe even I think leak is real but I refused to believe that DHD is actually real until I saw the video. It's just a surreal experience for me XD

Gartooth

Uhh? I think you are blowing out of proportion because I haven't saying or implying anything that you can't like a character or so. I'm saying that I found the notion of people acting like DHD was mostly inspired by B&K or their moves = 100% B&K and the colors were inspired by B&K which isn't complete true.

If you think I did, then please point at the statement that I said that YOU CAN'T LIKE THE CHARACTER.

I would agreed with you that they shared similar archetype for having bird friend and being mammal, and the peck/fly attack. Overall, they are not really similar.

Sorry for how I reacted.

This whole topic about DHD and Banjo-Kazooie started shortly after I posted, so I thought I was specifically being called out on it.

StayDead

WE GOT TIME OUTS

SIX MORE YEARS

I said this on Smashboards.

The way I see it is that the game came out 2 days ago. These players are not using the characters full potential so it's impossible to base any form of ruleset for the entire games lifespan like tourneylocator are trying to do. When it's more figured out people are going to edgeguard/kill much easier.

So for me, it's 3 stocks or no deal as 2 stocks (as explained in the post above) somewhat removes a lot of mindgame elements. You die once and you're on last stock, you can't take risks.

Have they figured out the game? No. Are they trying to properly edgeguard for Smash 4's edge mechanics? No.

Just because people who are claiming to be the best in the world 2 days in cannot kill and a game ends in a timeout doesn't mean it'll be like this in 3-4 weeks. Which is why deciding the ruleset for the entire game at this point is almost beyond silly. I'm not trying to be deliberately antagonistic, but from the games I've seen today some characters kill quicker than others and some are harder to kill than others. Bowser for example (as someone who has the game) kills a hell of a lot quicker than someone like Palutena.

Azure J

Question for any Brawl/PM Pit mains in this thread:

Am I the only one who kinda wishes that his new forward aerial attack replaced his back air and that his old forward air got the range buff that the rest of his "seperated knife" attacks did?

I really miss his Brawl forward air move and Armada-esque carries off stage. :lol

Busaiku

Is damage lower in this game?
I've only been using Pikachu, but it seems like in the time there should've been more KOs.

I know it's 2 minutes, but still, most games are 1 or 2 at most.

The way I see it is that the game came out 2 days ago. These players are not using the characters full potential so it's impossible to base any form of ruleset for the entire games lifespan like tourneylocator are trying to do. When it's more figured out people are going to edgeguard/kill much easier.

So for me, it's 3 stocks or no deal as 2 stocks (as explained in the post above) somewhat removes a lot of mindgame elements. You die once and you're on last stock, you can't take risks.

Have they figured out the game? No. Are they trying to properly edgeguard for Smash 4's edge mechanics? No.

Just because people who are claiming to be the best in the world 2 days in cannot kill and a game ends in a timeout doesn't mean it'll be like this in 3-4 weeks. Which is why deciding the ruleset for the entire game at this point is almost beyond silly. I'm not trying to be deliberately antagonistic, but from the games I've seen today some characters kill quicker than others and some are harder to kill than others. Bowser for example (as someone who has the game) kills a hell of a lot quicker than someone like Palutena.

2 stock/5 minutes is the For Glory ruleset, not that it really matters but it could be worth a shot

Ragus

Banned
Could somebody teach me how to juggle with Link. I send my opponent into the air with attack+up, and when, what is the best option? Attack+up again as he falls? Maybe jumping into the air and using attack+up? I would love to learn how attacks link (lol) in this game.

Anteo

They metagame could very well become over defensive making it slower, right now the best would be 2 stocks because the matchs are too long. The rules should change as the game evolves (just like Melee/Brawl)

StayDead

They metagame could very well become over defensive making it slower, right now the best would be 2 stocks because the matchs are too long. The rules should change as the game evolves (just like Melee/Brawl)

2 stock would lead to way more campy/defensive games as you can't take risks. I mean look at Ness vs Palutena right there. That Ness is much better than the Lucina and ZSS was. He's actually punishing the stuff Palutena is doing.

Anteo

2 stock would lead to way more campy/defensive games as you can't take risks. I mean look at Ness vs Palutena right there. That Ness is much better than the Lucina and ZSS was. He's actually punishing the stuff Palutena is doing.

And yet we saw how the game became super campy in the ZSS vs Palutena earlier, as soon as ZSS got a big lead he stopped trying to go in and it just ended in time. And increasing the time would be even worse, 10 min match?
Over 6 mins is pushing it, really.

Revven

The idea of going with 2 stocks initially is to cut down on the games that take too long due to inexperience with the game. As the game may improve as players become more experienced with it, then the stocks would be raised. Think of it from the perspective of TOs who are trying to run a tournament on time.

I'm sure there will be TOs with varying rule sets anyway -- between some going with 2 stocks and some going with 3. In the end, what matters is, we avoid the situation with Brawl where it was forced to be 3 stock, 8 minutes trying to copy Melee's rule set verbatim when it first came out and then being locked into the rule set for its whole tournament life to its detriment.

We can theorycraft 3 stocks will be fine all we want, but it's not proven yet and 2 stocks is proving to look really good, IMO. I'm not a TO but if I were a TO who wanted to run a new game on time, I'd probably play it safe and go with 2 stocks right now rather than 3. Especially if it's being ran with another game at an event (e.g Melee and/or Project M) where the same players may enter multiple events.

emb

If 3 stocks worked for Brawl, I think it can work here. I think both games would be better off at 2 stocks though.

I'm not really confident about the meta game developing in very good ways. I know it's early and everything. But that's what people said about Brawl in the early days too. Things never really got better (though people got much better at things). Even Melee and 64 feel like they have become more defensive the longer they've had to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom