• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys think Lucina is based on what Roy was planned to be in Brawl?

They mentioned this on the tournament stream and I could see it possibly being the situation. Doc certainly seems like he has some changes he may have had in Brawl.

Roo

Luigi is so good

iEu2zgljHirHb.gif

Neiteio

Watching videos at Shofu's YouTube channel, Palutena is quite the beast. She can use Reflect to send Mega Man's Forward Smash back at him from halfway across Tortimer Island. Her Auto-Reticle hits fast and hard and repeatedly. And that Up Smash with the floor-to-ceiling pillar of light is not only incredible in its reach -- it's quite strong! As Shofu noted, Palutena is a rushdown character who gets in your face. Looking forward to playing as her. :)

Also, at the same channel, I saw a Larry vs. Shulk match. I continue to be amazed by Bowser Jr. and his alts; what they lack in sheer KO power, they make up for in countless mix-up options that allow you to pressure your opponent. And the Shulk player impressed me with skillful use of the Speed and Shield arts. I thought people would mainly use Buster and Smash, but this player stuck mainly to Speed and Shield, and did well.

So Lucas is pretty much deconfirmed for DLC then, huh?

Not necessarily! Replacing the moves Ness took would be a simple process. Lucas could just have this:

B: PK Ground
Side B: Rope Snake
Up B: PK Teleport
Down B: Bomb
Final Smash: PK Love

Seeing as how his A moves are different, giving him these new B moves would do a helluva lot.

JoeInky

You're going to get so burn out of the game lol. I bet you've played like 20 hours of the game already!

I already had more than that in the demo alone haha.

Also I'm seriously not joking about Samus, two homing missiles on screen at one? Bomb with a giant blast radius that stays on screen as long as one of Snake's (RIP) grenades? Charge shot that is basically Lucario's Spirit bomb from Project M but bigger? It's all there.

I'm going to enjoy testing these haha.

Teknoman

Really liking Link's new dash attack.

Just found out that you can change Mega Man's metal blade direction right before its tossed.

So do people sanction stages for tournaments due to hazards?

PK Gaming

Can we take a moment to talk about Lucina?

Higher average damage than Marth (1-2% more damage on non-tipper hits) and her smash attacks are strong, regardless of where you hit.

She's fabulous.

I'll get round to Wario and Dr. Mario eventually, I have a bit of a backlog here.

Also, holy shit Samus becomes a stage control monster with the right customs.

Cheers

Did any melee pros make any public judgements of the game yet? Does it meet their standards? I don't want Smash 4 to die after Evo 2015.

I don't think that Smash 4 will be able to replace Melee, but Brawl's problem wasn't that it couldn't replace Melee - it was the fact that it couldn't stand alongside it as a viable competitive experience. :v We'll honestly have to wait and see how much fun competing in Smash 4 ends up to be.

Did any melee pros make any public judgements of the game yet? Does it meet their standards? I don't want Smash 4 to die after Evo 2015.

When the demo first dropped, I remember one of the Melee pros saying he was going to drop Melee for Smash 4 because he wanted to enter onto the Smash 4 scene while it was fresh. He said Smash 4 would be his priority.

Teknoman

I thought the clown car would've been stupid, but wow! Some of those moves look really nice! Im definitely going to use Roy alt though.

The more I play with Megaman, more I have fun with him....seriously fun character to play as.

My only problem with him are his specials (except rush coil), but hopefully the customs fix them.

Toxi

Banned
Jiggs looks vicious.
I'll get round to Wario and Dr. Mario eventually, I have a bit of a backlog here.

Also, holy shit Samus becomes a stage control monster with the right customs.
Man, thank you so much for this. It's awesome knowing so much about the game.

Revven

So do people sanction stages for tournaments due to hazards?

In general, if the hazards make the stage more about fighting the stage rather than fighting the opponent they are banned/not legal. Unfortunately, most of the new 3DS stages are pretty much like that so there's going to be a limited stage selection in tournaments.

For example, in Brawl, a stage like Halberd was legal but something like Big Blue wasn't. In Smash 4 3DS, a ton of the stages are either walk-offs, scrolling stages, or have too much going on that gets in the way. So most likely the guaranteed legal stages in this version will wind up being BF, FD, and YI:B. Some of the borderline ones are looking like Arena Ferox, Brinstar, and Prism Tower. So at the very least we might be looking at a 6 stage list, depending on how characters play on those last 3 stages. Who knows, we could find something with a character that makes Brinstar bannable or something.

That's another way to make a stage illegal. If a character can abuse something on it, it will get the stage banned. Things like DDD's chaingrab in Brawl got walk-offs banned (besides the tactic to blastzone camp on them being abundant lol) and wall infinites gets any stages with walls banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom