• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guesong

Five minutes for less than a standard round in a competition setting is a long time. Not sure the standard will be four stocks this time.

It may have been the standard in Melee, but welcome to the new age.

I don't think it's coincidence that For Glory is 5m 2 stocks. It's the first time Smash officially recognize the competitive community and as such, this is the official Nintendo-approved standard for Smash 4.

Moonlight

Banned
Anna, yo.
This guy. He gets it.

I think the blast zones wouldn't be that bad if recovery wasn't insanely easy.
I actually think it is just the blast zones that are primarily at fault here. I get why the ledge mechanics exist, because they encourage you to go off the stage to intercept someone coming back rather than edge-hogging or gimping, and when it works, it looks really cool. The problem is that the blast zones make it really damn hard for the person being 'intercepted' to actually die. Like, that Sheik vs DHD match was a perfect example. That Sheik went in deep so many times, and played perfectly, yet DHD just kept floating back because the blast zone was so forgiving. Ledge stealing with smaller blast zones would have been the best compromise. Having ledge stealing and large blast zones is just silly.

Kinsei

Banned
Quick question about Brawl Sonic. Could you jump, use his up B, and then use his midair jump? Cause you can totally do that with Mega Man.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I feel the vertical blast zone isn't that bad, but the horizontal definitely needs adjustment. Maybe it'll patched? I doubt it, though.

I don't think it's coincidence that For Glory is 5m 2 stocks. It's the first time Smash officially recognize the competitive community and as such, this is the official Nintendo-approved standard for Smash 4.

tbh I found the 8 minute timer way too long, I dunno why they carried it over from Melee to Brawl

I'm cool with that. I say give the game more time about figuring out set ups for more reliable, early kills.

I'm not sure who I was watching yesterday, but someone speculated the meta might shift to bulkier characters for those early kills. I'm actually really excited to see where the game goes.

Pappasman

I don't know, I've been pretty annoyed with a lot of the matches I've spectated. Instead of anything cool happening towards the end of each stock, it's like the person just keeps coming back (with like 5-10 seconds of nothing while they just float back) and getting hit off stage again, repeat ad nauseum.
Exactly, it just becomes a war of attrition. Trading hits and waiting to see if the game decides they've had enough. You can make plays, reads and setups, but nothing you do is a decisive moment in the match. Going for deep edgeguards is pointless since most characters and safely float to the ledge or stage from practically any point on the screen.

NeonZ

So, the only boss in the 3ds game (with that HP mechanic and everything, not just a background hazard that happens to be a character) is the Yellow Devil in the Megaman stage, right?

I wonder if there were second thoughts about the mechanic or if it's something that will be Wii U focused... They never said anything about the bosses being limited or mainly in one of the versions of the game.

PK Gaming

I heard Lucina > Marth, for some reason?

They are functionally identical
Katakiri said:
Just reporting that Marth and Lucina are entirely identical with the only differences being that Lucina does 1% - 2% more damage if Marth doesn't tipper. Marth has more damage and knockback when he tippers but less damage and knockback when he doesn't compared to Lucina's set damage.

Lucina having more knockback in general makes her the superior character since tipper's cannot be controlled. Her Fsmash's knockback (regardless of where you hit with it ) is pretty strong.

emb

not really? that's standard lol
Huh, guess so. I always thought the point of swiss was that it would sort out a bunch of entrants into skill levels pretty quickly. After a couple of rounds I'd expect 12 people to pretty much be ready for bracket. Guess I should look into it more closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom