• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's weird. I think people just need to adjust to it. Give it a few months and you won't hear people complaining about it anymore.

People said that about Brawl, too, but I'm optimistic. This game feels so smooth compared to when I first picked up Brawl.

Plus, the variation in playstyles even just in the demo is really cool. Megaman and Villager feel so strange, and I love it.

Huh, guess so. I always thought the point of swiss was that it would sort out a bunch of entrants into skill levels pretty quickly. After a couple of rounds I'd expect 12 people to pretty much be ready for bracket. Guess I should look into it more closely.

there's always enough rounds so that in theory there can be no players left undefeated, so for 12 players that would be 4 rounds (it goes by powers of 2 pretty much lol, 16-31 players means 5 rounds)

emb

Why is that less fun?
Just a matter of taste. I hate all the time it takes for them to just come back, while being so safe. Personally I feel like... if a player actually reaches kill percent, then their stock lasted way too long. In this game it feels like the reach kill percent, then take another 50 before actually being at the actual kill percent now.
Eh, I don't find that to be true, not when they both end up back on stage. Whomever gets hit off next isn't luck.
Fair enough, that's valid. I don't enjoy it as much, but I respect where you're coming from.
But when spikes happen, it's fucking hype because of it.

It's sort of win-win, though I agree zones should be smaller, not bigger.
Yeah, it does make spikes that much better. But then spikes are also so hard to make work, with how easy and safe air dodging is, so they rarely happen. I hope this game develops such that off stage kills are more common. But it seems so risky, I don't know if it will.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
People don't apparently like to watch high percentage damage gameplay
It impacts low damage play. Early kills are less likely to happen, and for all the tension the game can build to there are lots of sections that just feel slow in matches.

Anteo

But when spikes happen, it's fucking hype because of it.

It's sort of win-win, though I agree zones should be smaller, not bigger.

Not really, spikes are super hype when they happen at low <40%. At 150% its like "fucking finally..."
They real problem is that there is a window of 40-50% were any hit launch the oponent so far that it resets the neutral game and characters spend a lot of time on the air

Eh, I think the new blast zones are fine. Doesn't make it more boring, its just different.
Yeah! I mean I know a lot of people said the same thing about Brawl, but that game was clearly meant for new players. Everything we've seen in Smash4 (1 on 1 randoms, FD mode) makes it seem to me that they were trying to make things better competitively.

Any Diddy Kong impressions? Curious to how he plays with just one banana. He was my main in Brawl, I was the best out of my circle of peers due to banana dribbling. I'm hoping they buffed him up.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The blast zones don't look soooo bad, I think it's more a product of particular match-ups.

Drifting down from like fifty miles from the stage only to get knocked off fifty two miles off the stage and slowly drift down is not what I'd call entertaining for anyone.

From all the matches I've watched, that doesn't happen anywhere near as often as people seem to be suggesting.

Guesong

It impacts low damage play. Early kills are less likely to happen, and for all the tension the game can build to there are lots of sections that just feel slow in matches.

I think we have to keep in mind that this is Day 2 of the game and we are looking into a tourney filled with decent players, but nobody I've personally heard about.

Personally, what I'm seeing right now is that people are still shy about getting off the edge to air combat a knocked opponent. They sit safe on stage. Don't be shy. If recovery is globally better for everyone, don't be afraid to get out there and take risks because you WILL be able to make it back, barring a major mistake. No edgehogging to be had, nothing.

Now, the Sheik match earlier I would agree it was kind of unfortunate, but I have no idea if Duck Hunt is considered a heavy character in term of knockback resistance so I can't judge.

I know it's just a lvl 9 cpu, but just in the demo I've killed Mega Man and Mario quite a couple of times as Link just by going out there when they were at 60 %-ish and landing a DAir. And coming back on the stage, and going back out again if they managed to live still.

Durden77

I'm fine with the blast zones so far. Seems like it encourages off stage battles, which are always awesome.

I'm so excited by how much I enjoy Link in this game.

The blast zones don't look soooo bad, I think it's more a product of particular match-ups.
Last I saw a match (I'm on mobile), a GW player lived to 150% versus Lucina. Blast zones are indeed messed up.

Also, off stage fighting might not happen as much since recoveries and air dodging are so good it makes chasing much riskier.

Moonlight

Banned
What's happening is that people are frequently getting hit by attacks that should either kill or otherwise prevent them returning to the stage, and coming back, because recovering from off-stage is both easy (because of ledge-grabbing) and there's an incredibly wide margin of error (which is the large blast zones). You could have one or the other, but both just compounds the problems of each other. There's been exceptions, like Robin, who clearly have powerful off-stage options, but most of these last few matches have really made it obvious that the large blast zones are keeping people waaaay past their expiration dates.

miles? what an American :p
*kilometers

jeez

I think we have to keep in mind that this is Day 2 of the game and we are looking into a tourney filled with decent players, but nobody I've personally heard about.

Personally, what I'm seeing right now is that people are still shy about getting off the edge to air combat a knocked opponent. They sit safe on stage. Don't be shy. If recovery is globally better for everyone, don't be afraid to get out there and take risks because you WILL be able to make it back, barring a major mistake. No edgehogging to be had, nothing.

Now, the Sheik match earlier I would agree it was kind of unfortunate, but I have no idea if Duck Hunt is considered a heavy character in term of knockback resistance so I can't judge.

I know it's just a lvl 9 cpu, but just in the demo I've killed Mega Man and Mario quite a couple of times as Link just by going out there when they were at 60 %-ish and landing a DAir. And coming back on the stage, and going back out again if they managed to live still.
I share this opinion. Once I started chasing with Megaman off stage in the demo, I got kills much faster.

Gleethor

Battlefield
-SSB4 Main Theme (New)
-SSBM Menu Theme (Brawl)

Final Destination
-SSB4 Theme Arrangement 1 (New)
-FUCKING INCREDIBLE MELEE THEME (NEW)

3D Land
-3D Land Main Theme/Beach Theme (New)
-SMB3 Medley (New)

Rainbow Road
-Rainbow Road Handheld Medley (New)
-Rainbow Road MK7 (Original)

Golden Plains
-NSMB Athletic Theme (New)
-SMB Medley (New)

Paper Mario
-Try Try Again (New)
-Paper Mario Medley (New)

Mushroomy Kingdom (Brawl)
-SMB Ground Theme (Brawl)
-SMB Underground Theme (Brawl)

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Obstacle Course (Brawl)
-Yoshi's Story Ending (Brawl)

Jungle Japes (Melee)
-Kongo Jungle (Smash 64)
-Gear Getaway (New)

Gameboy Dreamland
-Kirby's Dreamland Medley (Original*)
-Green Greens Ver. 2 (New)

Magicant
-Eight Melodies (New)
-Smiles and Tears (New)

Mute City
-Mute City Theme (New)
-Mute City Theme SNES (Original)

Corneria (Melee)
-Corneria (Melee)
-Star Wolf/Sector Z (New)

Brinstar (Melee)
-Brinstar (Melee)
-Brinstar Depths (Melee)

Prism Tower
-X&Y Trainer Battle (New)
-Lumiose City (Original)

Unova Pokemon League
-N's Castle (New)
-Vs Reshiram/Zekrom (New)

Gerudo Valley
-Gerudo Valley Theme (New)
-Ocarina of Time Medley (Brawl)

Spirit Train
-Full Steam Ahead (New)
-LoZ Medley (New)

Arena Ferox
-Id/Purpose (Original)
-Together We Ride (Melee)

Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
-Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
-Flat Zone (Melee)

Reset Bomb Forest
-Wrath of The Reset Bomb (New)
-Dark Pit's Theme (Original)

Distant Planet (Brawl)
-Pikmin Title Theme (Original)
-World Map Theme (New)

Warioware Inc. (Brawl)
-Warioware Inc. (Brawl)
-Ashley's Theme (Brawl)

Green Hill Zone (Brawl)
-Green Hill Zone (Original)
-Live and Learn (Original)

Tortimer Island
-Island Day/Minigame Theme (New)
-Kapp'n Song (New)

Wily Castle
-Mega Man 2 Medley (New)
-Mega Man 2 Stage Medley (Original*)

Boxing Ring
-Running/Countdown Medley (New)
-Punch Out! Wii Minor Circuit (Original)

Pac-Maze
-Pac-Man Club Mix (New)
-Pac-Man Medley (New)

Gaur Plain
-And You Will Know Our Names (Original)
-Gaur Plain Theme (Original)

Pictochat 2
-Pictochat (Brawl)
-Dr. Mario Fever (Melee)

Find Mii
-Find Mii Final Boss (New)
-Find Mii 2: Save The World Heroes! (New)

Living Room
-Bath Time Theme Vocal Mix (New)
-Bath Time Theme Non-Vocal Mix (New)

Balloon Fight
-Balloon Fight Theme (New)
-Balloon Trip Theme (New)

Tomodachi Life
-Tomodachi Life (New)
-Mii Channel (New)

BONUS SONGS!
-8 Bit Main Theme (New)
-Area 6/Missile Slipstream (New)
-Mysterious Castle Murasame Medley (New)
-Air Man (New)
-Spark Man (New)
-Link to The Past Dark World/Dark Palace (New)
-Skyward Sword Ballad of The Goddess/Ghirahim Theme (New)
-Pac-Man Park (New)
-Inside The Space-Pirate Ship (New)
-Rainbow Cruise (Melee)
-Wrath of The Reset Bomb (Original)
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaFOMa00bCg&list=UU4hEVD_KqNx8ZeAMV1PsHVg"]-Dark Pit (Original)

-KI Uprising Boss Battle 1 (Original)
[/URL]-With Mila's Divine Protection (Brawl)
-The Legendary Air Ride Machine (Brawl)
-Bramble Blast (Brawl)
-Temple (Melee)
-Tetris Type A (Brawl)
-Mechanical Rhythm (Original)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom