• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

So uh...how good am I to play competively if I can beat Level 9 CPU over 50% of the time? Jw lol.
You're ready to learn.

Beating CPUs is a good starting point, because it means you have a grasp of controlling the game and what options your character has.

But it doesn't mean you'll do well against any humans. The CPU will always do the same things, but with humans mental conditioning and mixups are hugely important.

Was randomly given a demo code by a friend's friend who had no one else to give it to. I must say, the game is very smooth and plays very nicely. The only negative statement I can make towards the game itself would probably have to be the seemingly larger blast zones. Takes a bit longer to kill than I would like. The 3DS controls also don't really work too well with this kind of game. Well, it's moreso the circle pad than anything else. (Maybe the L + R buttons...)

However, I think I'm just going to hold off until the Wii U version drops. Seeing how soon it's expected to come will make it a lot easier to wait. That, and fortunately having friends looking to buy the 3DS version when it launches in NA. This game is definitely better than Brawl, and I'm loving every bit of it. <3

Guesong

Very true. That and playing actual people has a strange effect on how you play. Even if you know what kills, the unpredictable human player makes you lose your senses when you're noob and you go for whatever hits instead. Seriously, it's day 2. People need to calm down in expecting advanced meta play in such a new game.

Weird how your quote got messed up like that.

EDIT : Godlike, Joe. Thank you very much for these.

Jackano

New links and songs! Some good stuff in here folks.
It's your channel?
I've done my own rips, a few of them, but I got all the original Zelda songs (the stock ones, don't know if there is any to unlock): https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeldaDaily/videos

Edit: Also people tend to like the OST very much (not surprising). Like I felt while uploading it first, the new Gerudo Valley is very, very appreciated.
But the grand champion of the OST is the Melee remix ("ver. 2").

Thank you for the Samus post! Wow. Love the slow beam and the timed bombs. Side B customs I'll have to play around with before deciding which will be best, but I'm thinking the ones that lock on have most application.

Spinluck

Was randomly given a demo code by a friend's friend who had no one else to give it to. I must say, the game is very smooth and plays very nicely. The only negative statement I can make towards the game itself would probably have to be the seemingly larger blast zones. Takes a bit longer to kill than I would like. The 3DS controls also don't really work too well with this kind of game. Well, it's moreso the circle pad than anything else. (Maybe the L + R buttons...)

However, I think I'm just going to hold off until the Wii U version drops. Seeing how soon it's expected to come will make it a lot easier to wait. That, and fortunately having friends looking to buy the 3DS version when it launches in NA. This game is definitely better than Brawl, and I'm loving every bit of it. <3

The controls would work if the 3DS wasn't so shitty ergonomically speaking.

Like you can play games that don't utilize the shoulder buttons. But trying to hold it in a way that gives you quick access to all the buttons is hard as fuck.

Great stuff JoeInky. A bit disappointed that there isn't an ice beam variation but that's only for small referential needs. From what I see, I'll definitely be spending some time experimenting with Samus.

Looking forward to Dr. Mario

Tan

this guy's use of Ness' up special is really interesting. I guess it's fast enough to get a little fancy with it.

Toxi

Banned
JoeInky, thanks so much. Disappointed to hear the bombs still only explode on timer. I think 2333 is the set-up I'll be using. Lock-on missiles, slow beam, shine spark for extra vertical distance, and that power bomb.
Up Special 2 (Boost Ball)

3gLrNJ6.jpg

A diagonal recovery that hits harder, doing 15% damage.

If you do it grounded, it goes perfectly diagonally, whereas if you do it in the air, it goes more horizontally and ends in a short hop.

Pretty standard customisation, not much to say about it.

Up Special 3 (Shinespark
!!! (don't know if it's called this but it is a bit similar to what a shinespark looks like!)
)

0pPpIGk.jpg

Samus crouches down and then shoots herself upwards, it's a purely vertical recovery unlike the other two moves and does 11% damage, but it only has a hit box on the initial jump and the end flash, anywhere else will not damage the enemy.

The move combos into itself quite nicely and the second hitbox has great vertical knockback.

Down Special 3 (Power Bomb)

PdPCCV0.jpg
WwaPMwx.jpg

Drops a much bigger bomb that takes about 3 or 4 seconds to explode, and has a larger explosion, it can also be sweetspotted, doing 9% damage and minor knockback at the edge of the explosion and 13% damage with slightly more knockback at the center.

You've got a good 2 seconds of movement before the bomb explodes, so using this effectively will be the key, if you touch the explosion at all you will be put back into morph ball mode and won't be able to attack, so watch out for that (this applies to all morph ball bombs still)
While I'm disappointed by the lack of the Ice Beam, these references warm my heart.

Revven

I recall there was some speculation that Wario might have the shoulder charge as one of his custom moves because his F-Smash is changed. I've unlocked all his neutral and side special customizations, and they're all just modifications of his base moveset.

Dammit nooooooooooo. Ughhhh.

Azuran

Banned
These commentators are great. I'm going to subscribe simply because they made me chuckle multiple times in the past 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom