• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Palutena's edge control seems very strong although her throws seem kinda weak.

Gartooth

That notion is annoying since they don't really share a lot in common. Especially they said red duck is inspired by Kazooie which isn't completely true. Red Duck actually is in the game.

Is it annoying to say that I like the look of Bowser Jr. because he reminds me of Tron Bonne?

You guys are being ridiculous.

Tan

The players probably aren't being considerate of spectators who might want variance in music/aesthetics. Really, there's no reason to use the FD-mode stages when they're all the same as regular FD besides aesthetics. If they had more significant differences (like blastzone size variance) I'm sure they would be used for this. The players just want to play.

Also, platforms on BF and YI:B are really important and better stages than the FD-skins for counterpicking purposes.

Aren't they of different sizes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUmvn_Aod0

You gotta be REALLY aggressive with those Monado art selections

Thanks, thanks, and thanks. Speed, jump and smash are the only ones I ever see so far.

this video pk posted some use of shield and buster
it seems a good strategy for shulk is to rack up damage with buster and keep constant pressure and use smash as a finish

shield seems to be good for those situations where u are likely to get knocked off and jump caan be used like an extra recovery

speed i guess is just speed lol at least from my observations

JoeInky

Only one more custom for Megaman left and I know which one it is because it was a in a PoTD.

His customs are pretty cool in terms of references, I think there are one or two that are straight up better than his default ones though so he may have a chance to be a better character.

Only one more custom for Megaman left and I know which one it is because it was a in a PoTD.

His customs are pretty cool in terms of references, I think there are one or two that are straight up better than his default ones though so he may have a chance to be a better character.

Please tell me his Leaf Shield alts are better than the Leaf Shield. Because fuuuuuuuuuuu

Azure J

Oh you guys are watching the Smash 4 tourney too? Palutena went from top 5 to top 2 characters I had to play in this game after I saw her on stage movement. So crisp.

I just hope the custom moves allow for some fun stuff. I'm definitely a more aggressive player and like when my characters work in that direction. Aegis Reflector setups look great but I still want to go in and apply divine fist to mortal face.

Pappasman

This tournament making the game look really fun. I can't wait to try these characters. Looks like you are going to have to push yourself really hard for edgeguards. I like that.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is it annoying to say that I like the look of Bowser Jr. because he reminds me of Tron Bonne?

You guys are being ridiculous.

Not really since their archetype is pretty much similar. Duck and Dog and Banjo Kazookie don't really share that much comparing to Bowser Jr. and Tron Bonne. .

SuperSah

Banned
After six hours, I think I got Mario in the demo down.

I effectively know how to use his tilts, his Up Tilt is fantastic for aerial launches, and how to effectively use his Side B. A quick cape swipe and a forward tilt to knock them off stage and deliver a few back airs.

I kicked Lv9 ass with this. His back air are solid and can do around 3 before falling totally, and his Up Tilt is great.

I had a fun match where I side B against Villager, knocked her off, delivered three Side B's in rapid succession and got a great KO and survived.

You guys learned much from the demo?

GenG3000

I still can't understand how he's even remotely bad. Yes, his down-b is awful and maybe even his neutral-b but pretty much any other move is decent. He's the best character on the demo for me.

It's not that he's bad, but it seems that there are other characters that outclass him as long range fighters.

After a day playing the demo, I think Megaman is great in his own way. He doesn't have attacks that can change the tide of a battle like Ike, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong or Samus do, and he is cornered easily. His long range attacks are annoying and disrupting, his air game is great, his Smash attacks are solid, his dash attack is good, down tilt is fast and leads to followups, up tilt is an amazing punisher... His glaring weakness is that he is cornered easily and characters with reflectors can own him since his moveset relies too much in projectiles.

Revven

Lucina seems really good. Like better than Marth good.

Her Usmash is scary looking. The reason Marth's Usmash has, traditionally, been so bad is because the only instance you can use it in is when someone is directly above you (so you can get the tip, the non-tip part has always been bad). Lucina completely defies that and can use it on people that are on the ground like... right next to her and it has good knockback. Jesus lord almighty Lucina chill!

I effectively know how to use his tilts, his Up Tilt is fantastic for aerial launches, and how to effectively use his Side B. A quick cape swipe and a forward tilt to knock them off stage and deliver a few back airs.

I kicked Lv9 ass with this. His back air are solid and can do around 3 before falling totally, and his Up Tilt is great.

I had a fun match where I side B against Villager, knocked her off, delivered three Side B's in rapid succession and got a great KO and survived.

Yup. I learned that I actually don't hate Villager. :)

Linius

You sound so technical Sah. I won't be playing you.

Though a villager vs. villager match should happen some time.

rawktapus

Just how far I'd be willing to sink to get my hands on it!
sigh…6 more days

ffdgh

I've learned mario's meteor smash is much easier to land here than in brawl, up tilt is awesone, and down smash is stronger. Link can finally recover and his side tilt, dash attack and side smash are so much better.

SuperSah

Banned
You sound so technical Sah. I won't be playing you.

Though a villager vs. villager match should happen some time.

I probably won't use Mario in the full game, despite me playing him terrifically.

We have to play Linius! I've known you too long to pass up Smash with!

PK Gaming

Her Usmash is scary looking. The reason Marth's Usmash has, traditionally, been so bad is because the only instance you can use it in is when someone is directly above you (so you can get the tip, the non-tip part has always been bad). Lucina completely defies that and can use it on people that are on the ground like... right next to her and it has good knockback. Jesus lord almighty Lucina chill!

c0b.jpg

"Better than the hero king Marth? Oh my..."

Azure J

@Revven, you're thinking too much in the Melee mindset regarding Marth's up smash. Brawl Marth's up smash was quite ridiculous too since it has a nice launch value and a vacuum effect when opponents are near. Of course the tipper on that one was bat shit. :lol

All that said, holy fuck Lucina chill. Also, I wish I could play the full roster/stage list badly now.

Villager is easily my favorite character from the demo. Lloid rocket is insane once you got it down (covers so much space, good speed, great knockback), and can be combined for dair and slingshots as an approach OR just for general stage control. And I love baiting Mario to cape it just so I can pocket it. And turnips are pretty decent edge guarding tools and can even beat out air dodges.

Gartooth

Not really since their archetype is pretty much similar. Duck and Dog and Banjo Kazookie don't really share that much comparing to Bowser Jr. and Tron Bonne. .

Duck and Dog and Banjo-Kazooie share the same archtype of a mammal and bird fighting together. I'm not saying DHD plays anything like Banjo-Kazooie would. I've played the B-K series and I've seen footage of DHD in Smash and they are nothing alike aside from said concept. However, I latched onto DHD because it reminded me ever so slightly of another duo that I remember fondly. I'm sorry, but saying that I can't like a character because of that is ridiculous and seems elitist to me. Should I have acted like a jerk to people who made Blackheart comparisons to Dormammu when he was announced for MvC3? No, they found something that reminded them of another character they liked, and latched on to it. If I was a longtime Dormammu fan, I should be happy for those people that they now like the character rather than calling them annoying for comparing him to Blackheart. (I didn't actually know who Dormammu was prior to MvC3 but you get the idea)

I still can't understand how he's even remotely bad. Yes, his down-b is awful and maybe even his neutral-b but pretty much any other move is decent. He's the best character on the demo for me.

The thing that grates me about Mega Man is that so many of his moves do the same thing. Why would I use Metal Blades or Crash Bombs when I can just do a forward smash and it serve the same purpose and do more damage, even uncharged.

Mega Buster while faster is still the same trajectory does okay damage for what it is but has almost no hitstun.

Up and Down tilt are great moves but are easily punishable and that's not so hot when those are your only non projectile ground moves.

Rush is a pretty meh recovery. It is awesome at escaping certain attacks though.

Dair is a good spike but it lacks the range of say Mario's or ease of use like Link's.
Nair is completely useless when having the options of Fair or Bair.
Fair and Bair are pretty good though but are really similar. Fair racks up damage and Bair is a good Kill move. Uair is pretty good but I feel the tornado is too small.

Is Mega Man garbage? Heck no, but I wouldn't say he's great either. I think he has to work harder to get wins so naturally I think people are going to consider him not too great. I get that he is supposed to be a ranged fighter but most of the time you need to get in there and get those kills. Mega Man is best in Free for Alls when he can sit back and spam Fsmash. One on one is a definite problem. So many characters have a reflect now a days that it really hurts Mega Mans options. I'll still play him no doubt though as I will all the characters. Except Mii's. Fuck them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom