• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
Pro Mario tip:

Don't even bother with his Down B, it's useless.

Focus on those side and up tilts and his glorious back airs and cape reflect.

Linius

I probably won't use Mario in the full game, despite me playing him terrifically.

We have to play Linius! I've known you too long to pass up Smash with!

This will be my first Smash game, so I'm gonna be practicing a bit :p

Watching these tournament guys is already showing me how much depth this game has beyond button mashing.

ffdgh

Pro Mario tip:

Don't even bother with his Down B, it's useless.

Focus on those side and up tilts and his glorious back airs and cape reflect.

It's annoys me that even with the extra range, fludd is still relatively useless. I Hope scalding fludd and high pressure fludd are more useful.

Revven

Do any of yall know what the ruleset is in For Fun mode online? Is it just two minute matches with items? If so... :(

Yes, that is the rule set I heard it has. Someone with the game could probably actually check to make sure but I don't think that has changed since Brawl.

GamerSoul

You should check my post between 2012 to 2013. (Maybe after 2011). Also I did support DHD during Brawl. :D. That's why I'm escalated about him being in the game. Finally!

As long as I can remember Heath on here, he's been talking about the Duck Hunt Dog. I thought it was cute little dream...but dammit look at where we are now lol. A part of me still can't believe.

Her Usmash is scary looking. The reason Marth's Usmash has, traditionally, been so bad is because the only instance you can use it in is when someone is directly above you (so you can get the tip, the non-tip part has always been bad). Lucina completely defies that and can use it on people that are on the ground like... right next to her and it has good knockback. Jesus lord almighty Lucina chill!

Awesome to hear. One of my only gripes with Marth was that he didn't have a ground Smash attack that would quickly cover both sides like Foxes Dsmash or even Mario's Dsmash. Lucina won't have that problem. :D

SuperSah

Banned
It's annoys me that even with the extra range, fludd is still relatively useless. I Hope scalding fludd and high pressure fludd are more useful.

Is the purpose for spacing? It's really useless and it doesn't even push opponents back that easily; it's highly punishable.

This will be my first Smash game, so I'm gonna be practicing a bit :p

Watching these tournament guys is already showing me how much depth this game has beyond button mashing.

Yeah, Smash can get DEEP. Practice with the demo, and try and learn off-stage play too. It's very heavy in this game, and not to mention satisfying.

Guesong

The thing that grates me about Mega Man is that so many of his moves do the same thing. Why would I use Metal Blades or Crash Bombs when I can just do a forward smash and it serve the same purpose and do more damage, even uncharged.

Because you want Charged Shot to be a killing blow when you actually use it. Using it too much will make it knockback like a kitten.

The way I see Megaman, as shitty as Metal Blade, Crash Bomb and Leaf Shield are, you have to use them to constantly barrage your opponent with projectiles (as well as Neutral A/Forward A/NAir) and slowly dwindle them down to killing range.

Linius

Is the purpose for spacing? It's really useless and it doesn't even push opponents back that easily; it's highly punishable.

Yeah, Smash can get DEEP. Practice with the demo, and try and learn off-stage play too. It's very heavy in this game, and not to mention satisfying.

I remember from playing with friends (N64 and NGC Smash games) that I usually had no way to come back to the stage. Well no wonder since I didn't had the game at home to practice. But that's certainly something I need to learn.

The thing that grates me about Mega Man is that so many of his moves do the same thing. Why would I use Metal Blades or Crash Bombs when I can just do a forward smash and it serve the same purpose and do more damage, even uncharged.

Mega Buster while faster is still the same trajectory does okay damage for what it is but has almost no hitstun.

Up and Down tilt are great moves but are easily punishable and that's not so hot when those are your only non projectile ground moves.

Rush is a pretty meh recovery. It is awesome at escaping certain attacks though.

Dair is a good spike but it lacks the range of say Mario's or ease of use like Link's.
Nair is completely useless when having the options of Fair or Bair.
Fair and Bair are pretty good though but are really similar. Fair racks up damage and Bair is a good Kill move. Uair is pretty good but I feel the tornado is too small.

Is Mega Man garbage? Heck no, but I wouldn't say he's great either. I think he has to work harder to get wins so naturally I think people are going to consider him not too great. I get that he is supposed to be a ranged fighter but most of the time you need to get in there and get those kills. Mega Man is best in Free for Alls when he can sit back and spam Fsmash. One on one is a definite problem. So many characters have a reflect now a days that it really hurts Mega Mans options. I'll still play him no doubt though as I will all the characters. Except Mii's. Fuck them.
We agree on one thing here, friend: fuck Miis.

I have spent a good 10 hours playing Megaman, and I think you are misreading him.

Forward Smash has less range and more startup than Metal Blade and Crash Bomb. Metal Blade can be given 8 directional motion, so you can fire it diagonally up and such. No other character has a projectile like that. Crash Bomb is mediocre, but good filler when you can't use Metal Blade. Also, you can use both while jumping, which you can't do with F.Smash.

Mega Buster can set up throws and it a great harassment tool. No other character can move forward while also spamming projectiles.

Do you know what Megaman am so has down smash for ground moves? It doesn't matter anyway, since his fair is fantastic and covers everything.

Rush combo breaks right now.

Dair spikes as a projectile. Link and Mario have to get up close for theirs.

Nair locks opponents to the ground for P shooter followups.

In my experience, bair is better for jumpins, while fair is better for spacing.

Revven

Was brinstar counter pick in any of the games it's been in? The acid doesn't really seem to be a big deal

Yes, it was a CP in Melee for awhile as well as Brawl until in both instances characters could abuse the stage for easy KOs which led to it getting banned. I forget the specific characters, though.

SuperSah

Banned
I remember from playing with friends (N64 and NGC Smash games) that I usually had no way to come back to the stage. Well no wonder since I didn't had the game at home to practice. But that's certainly something I need to learn.

Characters like Little Mac and his Side B will serve as good recovery moves to often return to the stage, but to be safe, stick to Up B's.

A good way to practice is set up a group local match in the demo with a CPU, and play with the sandbag in the waiting room.

If you need to practice returning to the stage uninterrupted, that's your best choice.

Linius

Characters like Little Mac and his Side B will serve as good recovery moves to often return to the stage, but to be safe, stick to Up B's.

A good way to practice is set up a group local match in the demo with a CPU, and play with the sandbag in the waiting room.

If you need to practice returning to the stage uninterrupted, that's your best choice.

Thanks for the tips man. I'm gonna be spending some time with the demo untill release. Already ordered it a few days before the demo, the hype is real.

I can't watch the tourney now, but could anyone provide the inevitable uploaded Youtube links (or Twitch timestamps...those can be replayed after the stream ends, right?) later so I can watch the Ness footage later? Thank you.

Fiktion

Banned
OMG DAT PK THUNDER READ

The player is amazing, but Ness looks perfectly godlike! I thought he was supposed to be shit?!

From what I've heard, a lot of veterans have been rebuilt from the ground up, even if they technically have the same movesets the playstyle is totally different.

This has led to some old players coming in, trying to use familiar characters in the same way, and thinking they're shit because it's not what they expect.

So now identified about 520 and having difficulty finding these ones
pzdb.png

This is from Zelda
qzdb.png

Also from Zelda
rzdb.png

In other category
szdb.png

Can't tell what this is for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom