• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satyamdas

Banned
jlai said:
Wow those Mak sequences against Sim and Gen were beautiful.. *takes notes*
tumblr_leqjv2qPJe1qzxvvi.gif

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
hitsugi said:
I'll send a request tonight :D I quit marvel after it started falling from it's peak, but I'll probably be playing mvc3 with PSN GAF when I do play online

I'll be splitting my online multiplayer gaming between the two along with a few doses of HDR, MvC2 and maybe even TS when it comes out here and there. MVC3 will bring out the oldschool players around here. They've been waiting for a true sequel for ages.

yeah, 1up hasn't been the same. I wasn't there as early as you--mostly lurking and enjoying the 1up shows (aka, e-stalking Jane, haha!), but I started being more active and doing blogs during the tail-end of the heyday. When I felt 1up was starting to wane in activity, that's when I joined GAF. If it weren't for GAF, i probably wouldnt have enjoyed SFIV as much. Most of the 1up bloggers usually just enjoy and talk about the flavor of the month (yeah, mostly FPS, lol

Things went downhill when the EGM boards disappeared. All the cool people started leaving, some coming here, etc. That's how I started posting on GAF besides a few other incidents, I think you may even know what I'm talking about. Ninty and them seems to know of it.

All this Marvel hype overshadowing the release of Pocket Fighters! Too bad it's the PSone version though.

USD

The Break streaming AE right now. Not direct feed (this week), but it's something. MarlinPie with a 16-game winning streak:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/8wayrun

This week's tourney is still console Super, but next week will be single-elimination AE, double-elimination Marvel.

EDIT: Back to console.

_dementia said:
nobody loves Adon but me :(

Adon is one of the bright spots in this otherwise forgettable game good sir!

Liked him in Alpha, and as I've mentioned before; since this game doesn't offer a variety of spacing options 3S does Adon suits my play style well. Lots of options to quickly get around the screen.

When I'm not blowing my execution and eating fists and feets. :p

Granted he's no Hokan.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Dat comeback

So anyway, Mak's U2 is gonna be kinda ridiculous in AE. Full screen whiff punishes, pretty hard to punish if it whiffs, gets you out of pressure for free (unless you're in the corner and you get read since she's pretty vulnerable in the air), and you can make it land in 3 different spots on the screen. Thankfully you only have until she hits the wall to decide where to make it go, so you can't just look at the situation during ultra freeze to see the best place to make it land. Probably gonna end up being one of the best ultras to just mash out. Last hit doesn't break armor though so if it's not a reversal you can get a full lvl 3 focus if you block it.

notworksafe

GGs last night Rocwell. And everyone else too. Those randoms made me realize I should probably get familiar with more than one character. :p

Imm0rt4l

notworksafe said:
GGs last night Rocwell. And everyone else too. Those randoms made me realize I should probably get familiar with more than one character. :p
No kidding, I had to play as juri, blanka, gen, dj and some other characters I don't know how to play. It was fun though!

Rocwell

GGs!

Learning a new character always teaches you a lot about the game, how to take advantage of different strengths while compensating for different weaknesses, as well as sometimes doing something completely different to reach the same goal.

Shotos are a good starting point though, they can do just about anything the rest of the cast can. I think learning one character that falls into each of the archetypes is a good way to go, all-around, footsies, pressure/mixup, and zoning/defensive are the main types I'd say. All characters have these aspects to their game but are stronger in one or two areas.

I started playing Ryu in Vanilla and then picked up Fei Long and Chun Li as secondary characters. Now I'm playing Makoto a lot in Super and I had to learn so much stuff to be effective with her, and I've still got a long way to go.

notworksafe

Yeah the local scene people here recommended a Shoto to start with, and I used to love Ken back in SF2 arcade days (last time I played fighting games with any regularity). I'm really liking learning his style and I'm glad that it's a bit more offensively focused than Ryu.

I'm also really liking playing Juri, but any progress with her is coming much more slowly. She's tough to learn! Not to mention I always feel like I have to have my hands in an awkward position to play her properly.

I like Makoto too, mostly from the small amounts of SF3 arcade I played, but I've only just been messing around a little with her.

EDIT: It's nice to have nice people to play with online. I play with local people every Friday here (which is awesome), but it's nice to be able to play with people that aren't jerks during the rest of the week. Though you guys need mics! :p I have one but I would have felt odd being the only person using one.

Read a stupid comment on youtube for an SF video, the person is subscribed to DSP's youtube channel.

I've gotten this with 100% accuracy so far.

notworksafe said:
Yeah the local scene people here recommended a Shoto to start with, and I used to love Ken back in SF2 arcade days (last time I played fighting games with any regularity). I'm really liking learning his style and I'm glad that it's a bit more offensively focused than Ryu.

I'm also really liking playing Juri, but any progress with her is coming much more slowly. She's tough to learn! Not to mention I always feel like I have to have my hands in an awkward position to play her properly.

I like Makoto too, mostly from the small amounts of SF3 arcade I played, but I've only just been messing around a little with her.

EDIT: It's nice to have nice people to play with online. I play with local people every Friday here (which is awesome), but it's nice to be able to play with people that aren't jerks during the rest of the week. Though you guys need mics! :p I have one but I would have felt odd being the only person using one.

I've got a mic, but in my experience if there are more than 2 people with mics on the psn side, shit gets laggy and choppy with the audio...

notworksafe

Ah, didn't know that. Damnable Sony/Capcom!

At least it's not as bad as HDR. Voice chat in that game always lags behind the game by like 5-10 seconds for me.

MrMephistoX

_dementia said:
Sf4 iPhone is 99 cents at the moment. I'm morbidly curious.

If you can get over the touch controls it's actually half way decent; although,it would be nice if it had head to head online multiplayer over wifi.

def sim

The changes they did for the characters on iPhone are interesting from what I've heard. Bison has crossup devils reverse, Sagat U1 doesn't combo without fwd.hk juggle, etc.

For a dollar, why not.

Axis

FindMyFarms said:
I love Desk videos, they're always so well produced. Anyone know the track playing in this one?

his manual execution is so godlike. he generally uses tracks from his own band which is project dolphin, i think

rocK`

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Adon is one of the bright spots in this otherwise forgettable game good sir!

Liked him in Alpha, and as I've mentioned before; since this game doesn't offer a variety of spacing options 3S does Adon suits my play style well. Lots of options to quickly get around the screen.

When I'm not blowing my execution and eating fists and feets. :p

Granted he's no Hokan.

out of curiosity....why do you call him hokan when the rest of the world calls him hakan? or is this one of those cool 2 be different thing that you do?

hitsugi

rocK` said:
out of curiosity....why do you call him hokan when the rest of the world calls him hakan? or is this one of those cool 2 be different thing that you do?
Cool to be annoying, and that's exactly why

esbern

Lost Fragment said:
Dat comeback

So anyway, Mak's U2 is gonna be kinda ridiculous in AE. Full screen whiff punishes, pretty hard to punish if it whiffs, gets you out of pressure for free (unless you're in the corner and you get read since she's pretty vulnerable in the air), and you can make it land in 3 different spots on the screen. Thankfully you only have until she hits the wall to decide where to make it go, so you can't just look at the situation during ultra freeze to see the best place to make it land. Probably gonna end up being one of the best ultras to just mash out. Last hit doesn't break armor though so if it's not a reversal you can get a full lvl 3 focus if you block it.

holy crap. when do people use ultra 1?

_dementia said:
Chobot called him Hokan in the video IGN leaked accidentally just before he was supposed to be revealed.

This is the origin, although I don't know what a Chobot is (is it like a Go-Bot?). I read it on a forum somewhere (GAF) and it stuck.

It's no worse than North Americans using dumb SRK-isms for Bison, Vega, and Balrog. Although I'm thinking of adopting the SRK-ism "Body Massage" for Hokan. :D

In unrelated news Play-Asia sale is ON! And Vampire Collection PS2 is just $19, if you don't buy this game you're one the members of our government's fictional terrorist organization! >:|

I have all the Saturn versions, but I read this are better ports and I don't have Vampire Hunter 2. Woowooooooooo! You're not ready for this jelly, Darkstalkers is 2Dlicious 4 U!

Cody needs to go back to Final Fight. It's not safe for him here. Kind of a bummer, I never liked any of the Final Fight guys in SFA. Though Poison and Hugo are AWESOME SAUCE!

notworksafe

In unrelated news Play-Asia sale is ON! And Vampire Collection PS2 is just $19, if you don't buy this game you're one the members of our government's fictional terrorist organization! >:|
Oh shit! Gonna get this! Thanks for the heads up.

Axis

This is the origin, although I don't know what a Chobot is (is it like a Go-Bot?). I read it on a forum somewhere (GAF) and it stuck.

It's no worse than North Americans using dumb SRK-isms for Bison, Vega, and Balrog. Although I'm thinking of adopting the SRK-ism "Body Massage" for Hokan. :D

I have all the Saturn versions, but I read this are better ports and I don't have Vampire Hunter 2. Woowooooooooo! You're not ready for this jelly, Darkstalkers is 2Dlicious 4 U!

Cody needs to go back to Final Fight. It's not safe for him here. Kind of a bummer, I never liked any of the Final Fight guys in SFA. Though Poison and Hugo are AWESOME SAUCE!

us guys in the IRC generally play VS nightly on GGPO if you wanna get down :p

also, god's beard...i love mariah in jojo's...let's play sometime...you'll have to show me how not to suck at the game tho :(

Axis said:
us guys in the IRC generally play VS nightly on GGPO if you wanna get down :p

also, god's beard...i love mariah in jojo's...let's play sometime...you'll have to show me how not to suck at the game tho :(

Would love to, but never figured out the port forwarding for GGPO and then the copy of Windows 7 I have from work for use on my work Macbook decided to go all HNUUURRRR UNLICENSED COPY HNURRRRR and I don't give a F*CK about MS bullsh*t software when some absurd percentage of the actual work I do is on the Mac anyhow.

Would have been nice to get it running, and maybe at some point I'll ask about the stupid licensing / registration bullsh*t, but it's super low priority.

It's been ages since I've played Darkstalkers, but such fond memories.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm up for some random play while I mess around with some things. It's been a while since I've been on GAF chat.

explodet

I bought this back when it was $40.... and I still haven't figured out how to get it playing on my NA phat PS2. :(

Guess I'll have to oil up bitches online instead tonight.

explodet said:
I bought this back when it was $40.... and I still haven't figured out how to get it playing on my NA phat PS2. :(

Guess I'll have to oil up bitches online instead tonight.

I believe there's a method of using HD loader and LAN to load your import games to a US PS2 HD. I had my copy of Super Galdelic Hour on my US PS2 for a while, but then J PS2's got super cheap so I just bought a fat J PS2. I should get a HD for it so I can load all my import fighters on it. :3

explodet

I believe there's a method of using HD loader and LAN to load your import games to a US PS2 HD. I had my copy of Super Galdelic Hour on my US PS2 for a while, but then J PS2's got super cheap so I just bought a fat J PS2. I should get a HD for it so I can load all my import fighters on it. :3
HD Loaders are awesome.
Sadly Vampire PS2 is one of the few games I can't get to work on the HD loader... SF Alpha Collection PS2 has the same problem for me.

You might be on to something though, I should just spring for a J PS2. I love me some Darkstalkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom