• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperSega "Every Sega Console ever in FPGA" details, dates and prices shared...but is it even real?

VGEsoterica

Real hard scratcher here; Spanish company sends press releases out (I received one) and they state they are making an FPGA console that plays every Sega console from the SG all the way up to the Dreamcast with optical disc reading capabilities and a full FPGA Dreamcast core...and even has "a few games running" when it comes to Dreamcast. No evidence of that yet...just a press release and a website that WAS up for awhile but has no completely disappeared...

But good news they say they will start crowdfunding after they reveal a prototype in September or October.
This is either wishful thinking or a real product with a team of engineers that really need to get more marketing support....you do the math though

consoul

Hey, remember the Coleco Chameleon?

I'm calling bullshit on this right now.
Their claim about being able to play 32x games but having to bring your own 32x hardware and plug it into the Genesis cartridge slot is enough for me to know they're not on the level.

If you know 32x, you know it has its own RGB output, independent of the Genesis. You have to physically patch the Genesis RGB through the back of the 32x and then take the mixed output of both pieces of hardware to your TV. How the fuck could that possibly work on an HDMI FPGA device? It won't.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Hey, remember the Coleco Chameleon?

I'm calling bullshit on this right now.
Their claim about being able to play 32x games but having to bring your own 32x hardware and plug it into the Genesis cartridge slot is enough for me to know they're not on the level.

If you know 32x, you know it has its own RGB output, independent of the Genesis. You have to physically patch the Genesis RGB through the back of the 32x and then take the mixed output of both pieces of hardware to your TV. How the fuck could that possibly work on an HDMI FPGA device? It won't.

Exactly

But it could be worked around in some V oddball manner as everything can. Not saying that’s what they are doing…or hey maybe there’s a port somewhere they haven’t shown yet? I mean 🤷🏻‍♂️

Or it’s all just fake. But if it was all fake they could just say “and 32x too”…see what I mean? Every question has an answer but that seems to also produce another question

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I saw this too. To me, FPGA emulation is far less interesting when emulating retro consoles. It’s the arcade boards that gets my blood pumping. If this project supported the NAOMI board, then I’d be super interested. As it stands, though, I’d rather just use a MiSTer and a modded Dreamcast.

VGEsoterica

I saw this too. To me, FPGA emulation is far less interesting when emulating retro consoles. It’s the arcade boards that gets my blood pumping. If this project supported the NAOMI board, then I’d be super interested. As it stands, though, I’d rather just use a MiSTer and a modded Dreamcast.
Dreamcast with VGA and a GDEMU is not an expensive console to rig up so yet it’s not like it’s NEEDED

NAOMI would be nice from someone. I have a full multi setup but the wiring and inconvenience mean I usually don’t want to bother taking it out

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Dreamcast with VGA and a GDEMU is not an expensive console to rig up so yet it’s not like it’s NEEDED

NAOMI would be nice from someone. I have a full multi setup but the wiring and inconvenience mean I usually don’t want to bother taking it out
Yeah, I feel that. FPGA is definitely the future in terms of retro preservation, but I wish we could move on from the DE10 Nano to squeeze out a few more consoles and boards.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
This is a good time to point out that a Company in Brazil is releasing the cancelled Sega Neptune that will also be a FPGA system.

Dacvak

This is a good time to point out that a Company in Brazil is releasing the cancelled Sega Neptune that will also be a FPGA system.
Wait what

Edit: Wtf that’s a real thing. How will there be games though?

Edit 2: Oh right! It was a Genesis + 32x. I forgot about that.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Wait what

Edit: Wtf that’s a real thing. How will there be games though?
Digital store, indie game support and will play your physical Sega Genesis and 32X games

Sega system never died in Brazil even to this day

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I would be so all over this if true and could play Saturn/Dreamcast games from SD or optical disk attachment.

They said, I am “Team Fake” on this.

Top Bottom