• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supreme Court: No Right to Keep Names From Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
This and the new ruling that Boston subway police have the authority to question and search anybody riding the trains to "stop terrorism" is making me dread my commute.

Pimpwerx

Who cares? Black people go through this shit all the time. Down here, they got things called "jump out". If they see someone walking along where they don't think they should be, the cops will walk up, question them, run a records check and arrest you for any outstanding warrants. No probable cause necessary. Absolute bullshit. Motherfuck the police. They can kiss my ass. PEACE.

Takuan

arrest you for any outstanding warrants

Sounds about right to me. If you've done dirt, you should be arrested, regardless of the circumstances. Still, that's a pretty poor thing to do, and I feel bad for innocent victims of this sort of prejudice.

shoplifter

SFA_AOK said:
So this falls under the "If you've got nothing to hide, what's the problem?" line of thinking?

Exactly. If I'm walking aroung doing nothing, the officer has NO REASON to need to know who I am or why I'm there. I also love how 'ooh saves us from terrism' was used as a reason by the state (IIRC). Like any terrorist worth his salt isn't going to have falsified papers anyway.

My favorite part though, is what Stevens said with the whole (paraphrased) - 'if there was an actual criminal act involved, then the 5th amendment would apply.' So CRIMINALS get more protection that law-abiding citizens.

This is completely different than a traffic stop however, when stopped one must produce proof that you are a licensed driver. I don't have much of a problem with that, driving is a privledge not a right. However, in pretty much every other case this is shit.

GO GO REBUPLICAN APPOINTEES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom