• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Serious question, do people actually hold their tablets in their hands for significant amounts of time? My ipad is always resting on something(lap, pillow, table etc...), especially when I am lying down surfing. If I am reading outside and holding for any amount of time, I am using my paperwhite.

Also, I can't be the only one who is sick of the limitations of android and ios for background tasks and not running programs.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Serious question, do people actually hold their tablets in their hands for significant amounts of time? My ipad is always resting on something(lap, pillow, table etc...), especially when I am lying down surfing. If I am reading outside, I am using my paperwhite.

Nope. With my Kindle Fire I would always prop it up on my pillow or legs.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Serious question, do people actually hold their tablets in their hands for significant amounts of time? My ipad is always resting on something(lap, pillow, table etc...), especially when I am lying down surfing. If I am reading outside, I am using my paperwhite.

ya this is primary why im ok with the sp2s weight. ill be using it on a bus resting on my bag or in my bed as tablet, and as a laptop everywhere else.

TylerD

I did hold my ipad above my head in bed for a while. I definitely drifted off to sleep and dropped it on my face and promptly ended that practice.

Landscape 90% of the time.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Reviews (prematurely) went up. Linking to individual posts.

Verge's SP2.
Verge's S2.
NextWeb's SP2.

Those seem pretty positive. About what anyone getting a Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2 would expect.

Pro 2:

+Good build quality
+Good display
+Better kickstand
+Better battery life
+Solid fusion of two devices

-Too thick, too heavy
-Some apps don't scale well at all
-Poor gaming performance

S2:

+Decent battery life
+MUCH better display
+Great build quality and great looking

-Anemic App Store
-Silly desktop mode
-Occasional performance hiccups

Man, I am so tempted to order the 256 (or 512) gb version now. I plan on ordering from the microsoft store, so I can use my student discount, too.
But, a part off my wants to save up even more money and purchase it around Christmas. I doubt there will be a price drop or special sales, but I think I will wait until Christmas...maybe even black friday.
Did the previous surface pro ever get it's price cut around the holidays? I am sooo tempted to order this now,

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The originals came out Jan of this year..no? This would be their first holiday season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
In case anyone was curious or cares. Breakdown from verge:

SP2:
Design 7
Display 9
Camera(s) 6
Speakers 7
Performance 10
Software 9
Battery life 7
Ecosystem 9
Dock 8

S2:

Design 7
Display 9
Camera(s) 7
Speakers 6
Performance 9
Software 8
Battery life 7
Ecosystem 5
Dock 8

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Why would the camera be WORSE on the SP2?

Same thing I am wondering, lol
is there any difference in battery life from the 4gb versions and the 8gb versions of the surface pro 2? Does the 8gb surface pro 2 last longer than the surface pro 2 that is only 4gb?

The S2 cameras are 1080p. SP2 cameras (720p) haven't been upgraded and are the same from SP1 model.

And battery are the same regardless of the ram size.

The S2 cameras are 1080p. SP2 cameras (720p) haven't been upgraded and are the same from SP1 model.

And battery are the same regardless of the ram size.
720p is fine be me. : )
I am reading on a spec sheet that the camera is 0.9 megapixels? I assume that would cause video feedback over skype in low lights to be pretty bad? RIght?
I may just buy a webcam to go with this.

Their complaint was about the RT version. They specifically mentioned things like HBOGo, ESPN and Rdio not having apps.
ESPN has had a Win RT app for probably 10 months that they've updated regularly. Not only has it been commonly featured at the front of the Store, but when you go to ESPN.com in Windows 8 or RT, it always has a bar at the top of the page that says we have a Windows 8 app with a link, and ESPN ran ads on TV for the app!

I have been wanting for an HBO GO app though, media streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc are perfect for Metro apps, even on desktops.
Can I use VLC on Surface 2?
They have been developing it. I think they said recently that it will be out soon, but I'm not completely certain of that.

----------

Those Verge reviews prove why a number associated to reviews are pretty stupid. That Surface Pro review is extremely positive assuming that this is the device for your needs and wallet, yet people will see that 7.8 and go "meh".

Razdek

Banned
Microsoft has positioned Windows RT to be nothing more than a niche product and because of this Surface 2 and the upcoming Nokia table is going to appeal to a minor audience. It's too expensive and the apps are not there at the moment. With only these two companies making RT devices and keeping the prices inflated, Windows RT has no chance for success and just buying time until they merge RT and WP together.

markot

Banned
I still dont get their hard on for those keyboards.

Just make it a proper keyboard dock like the transformers, it automatically makes it work like a notebook, most issues dissappear.

Not to mention how over priced they are $130? Realllllllly?

Tablo

Hmm, well it seems next years Surface Pro will be a pretty major upgrade, I need them to shave off a few mm of thickness, and lighten up a little bit, in terms of the chassis. I really hope they also keep 1080p but focus on panel quality, I don't need/want higher res quite yet. Would rather keep battery life and performance stable for a bit. They better never drop the fans too, it needs that heat dissipation capacity for heavy use, people need to stop clamoring for fanless SP...

I'll hang onto my SP1 till next year, can't wait!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I still dont get their hard on for those keyboards.

Just make it a proper keyboard dock like the transformers, it automatically makes it work like a notebook, most issues dissappear.

Not to mention how over priced they are $130? Realllllllly?

theyre totally overpriced, but the reason they arent making transformer like docks is because the dock would have to be heavy enough to weigh down the 2 pound tablet and not keel backward. so it probably have to be about 2 pounds itself, and then you end up carrying an extra 2 pounds in your bag.

transformer docks are great for light tablets though.

thanks for the list!

Izuna

Banned
Just wanted to come in and say Windows 8.1 is a great upgrade for my Pro.
An HD4400 would be a nice upgrade for me so I could get New Vegas running 1080p I think.

I won't upgrade, but I will see about getting one of those purple keyboards if I see one.

Top Bottom