• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

MCD

Ugh, the shortcuts for the surface covers don't work with the wedge mouse, despite them having the same button layout and functions...

Is there any where I can give Ms a feedback about that?

msft hardware twiter account or surface twitter account?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I got both models at TechEd, not knowing one I would keep. In the end the battery life, lack of Office, and added bulk made me decide to keep the RT. I really like the device, but the pokey performance (It's not unusable but there are times when you wait) and app situation bum me out. It really deserves better.

The performance is not unusable but you definitely wait some. I actually think the desktop Office apps perform quite well.

I started taking my conference notes using EverNote because I have all my stuff there, but after a day I switched to (metro) OneNote and did not look back. The difference in quality is astounding. And then you have BS like the IMDB touch app which is a complete joke. It literally is window to their website:

Screenshot.124572.1000001.jpg

Nero3000

I got both models at TechEd, not knowing one I would keep. In the end the battery life, lack of Office, and added bulk made me decide to keep the RT. I really like the device, but the pokey performance (It's not unusable but there are times when you wait) and app situation bum me out. It really deserves better.

The performance is not unusable but you definitely wait some. I actually think the desktop Office apps perform quite well.

I started taking my conference notes using EverNote because I have all my stuff there, but after a day I switched to (metro) OneNote and did not look back. The difference in quality is astounding. And then you have BS like the IMDB touch app which is a complete joke. It literally is window to their website:

http://wscont1.apps.microsoft.com/winstore/1x/256a39eb-42bc-4ac1-bf0d-f7578b8a84e1/Screenshot.124572.1000001.jpg[/IMGa][/QUOTE]

Strange, because they produced a quite decent WP7 one near launch. Is it an "official" app?

I've been playing with my new Surface Pro a lot this past week and really like it a lot. The hardware is solid, fast and works well. Battery life could be better of course, that's probably my main complaint right now. Windows 8 has a lot of strange inconstancies too, but I knew that before I received the Surface. Overall, I really like the device. Wish it could get 7-8 hours of battery though.

Hmmm I think my surface pro has a problem. Today I noticed some slight yellowish colorerror in the lower left corner of my screen. A quick Google search told me that a yellow tint in the corners is a problem! Is there a fix or something, or would you recommend that I send it in? It is not really that noticeable, but annoying enough on bright surfaces

Do you think we're going to see a new Surface RT anytime soon or are they dropping the RT Surface with their revision?

They're will be a new Surface RT in the fall, take it to the bank.

An RT tablet makes more sense for the inevitable 7-8" Surface. Hopefully the Pro doesn't come out 3-4 months after again, I want to get a Pro this fall/winter.

Rommel

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/19/4444198/surface-rt-qualcomm-processor

Microsoft is planning to refresh its Surface RT with a Qualcomm processor. Existing Surface RT devices use Nvidia's Tegra 3 chipset, but Bloomberg reports that a refreshed version will ship using Qualcomm processors, while Nvidia continues to be a supplier for "some versions." The switch to Qualcomm, which appears to be for unannounced Surface RT devices, will likely come into effect later this year.

Has it ever happened to any of you for to surface suddenly lose all their wireless connection?

I mean, the wifi stays connected, but it's limited and won't open anything, bluetooth devices stay connected but no longer work... And after a sleep/wake up everything is normal again.

It does not happens often, during the more or less 3 months that i have mine it happened less than 5 times, but it would be nice to know if that's expected or if it is something that i should be worrying...

hwalker84

Has it ever happened to any of you for to surface suddenly lose all their wireless connection?

I mean, the wifi stays connected, but it's limited and won't open anything, bluetooth devices stay connected but no longer work... And after a sleep/wake up everything is normal again.

It does not happens often, during the more or less 3 months that i have mine it happened less than 5 times, but it would be nice to know if that's expected or if it is something that i should be worrying...

Nope not once. Had my RT since day 1.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I am getting rid of my Surface RT. The performance simply is not adequate.

It's a shame, because the device is beautiful and Windows 8 shines on it. It also was my first non Apple device in over a decade.

dLMN8R

It's a shame, because the device is beautiful and Windows 8 shines on it. It also was my first non Apple device in over a decade.

Two days before the 8.1 preview comes out? You should give that a shot first.

I want to install the 8.1 preview on my Surface Pro bit the installer says the update is not applicable on my computer. Anyone have better luck?

Nero3000

I want to install the 8.1 preview on my Surface Pro bit the installer says the update is not applicable on my computer. Anyone have better luck?

UK bought Surface Pro? Apparently there are issues with the en-gb language pack.

I have a US model imported. While the update went though there was some gibberish while installing. Everything is fine now (and the language pack is working).

EDIT: Does Miracasting work with the Surface Pro on 8.1?

UK bought Surface Pro? Apparently there are issues with the en-gb language pack.

I have a US model imported. While the update went though there was some gibberish while installing. Everything is fine now (and the language pack is working).

EDIT: Does Miracasting work with the Surface Pro on 8.1?

Bought the device in The Netherlands, just wiped it and selected enUS as the locale during install, then downloaded the language pack. Apparently the root locale is still enGB

[edit] found a hack here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2c4-a344-d7e7e33ea868?page=7&tm=1372270707347 worked for me, the preview is downloading now from the app store.

[edit2] while the update does show up, it won't download "not available right now"

U2NUMB

I am also selling my RT (many offers from people at work) but for me I am simply upgrading to the Pro

Has anyone tested miracast streaming on a surface pro? I think every sandy bridge device have the option but a confirmation would be nice :p

And for the new side docking options, how many are we supposed to dock? I've seen a picture with 3 apps side by side, but in mine i can only go up to two...

Has anyone tested miracast streaming on a surface pro? I think every sandy bridge device have the option but a confirmation would be nice :p

And for the new side docking options, how many are we supposed to dock? I've seen a picture with 3 apps side by side, but in mine i can only go up to two...

The number of apps is dependent on your screen resolution. You can definitely use more than 3 apps, if the resolution is high enough.

Nero3000

Oh, sorry for the poorly writen question, I meant on the surface pro screen :p

Yeah that was me :p

If you go to the display settings, and at the bottom that controls the scaling for metro. You can set it to "smaller" rather than default.

This turns off the scaling, so everything is like a large 1080p screen, so you can snap 3 things, but everything is small.

Yeah that was me :p

If you go to the display settings, and at the bottom that controls the scaling for metro. You can set it to "smaller" rather than default.

This turns off the scaling, so everything is like a large 1080p screen, so you can snap 3 things, but everything is small.

Oh, I see. Thanks! Not sure if i'll be using it though, without scalling everything is really small XD

Edit: I just noticed something: For big screens the charms bar are note centered vertically, they are offset a lttle up or down, depending on which corner you activated it. So cool!

Edit 2: It's nice that the changes occur on the fly, no log off or restart required... Makes this feature useful for easy switching when using surface as a deskop :p

Do you think we're going to see a new Surface RT anytime soon or are they dropping the RT Surface with their revision?

Yes. No. Atom has poor sales and poor performance depending on the program. Microsoft would prefer RT over Atom at the low-end and could make a lot of money assuming they execute their plans successfully,

Yes. No. Atom has poor sales and poor performance depending on the program. Microsoft would prefer RT over Atom at the low-end and could make a lot of money assuming they execute their plans successfully,

The poor Atom performance should be over with the next generation, now that Intel finally gave it an out-of-order architecture.

sirap

I'm confused, have they announced a new version of Surface Pro? A coworker convinced me to get one after they fixed the Wacom pressure sensitivity issue, but if they're updating it with Haswell I'll definitely wait for that.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm confused, have they announced a new version of Surface Pro? A coworker convinced me to get one after they fixed the Wacom pressure sensitivity issue, but if they're updating it with Haswell I'll definitely wait for that.
they have not announced a new version, but it is coming. probably will be announced around the time Windows 8.1 is final.

getting anything but haswell at this point is str8 loco.

Top Bottom