• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

C'mon reviews. Shouldn't be long now. Exciting day in tech with Apple and MS going head to head on the same day. Like the good old days.

mxgt

Banned
I really want one but I don't know if I want to drop 400 on it

I hope the re sale value is high like Apple products if I end up not using it much

Moppet13

Does anyone know when we can expect the first reviews to start coming through?

I would imagine about the moment they are released there will be a flood of reviews.

Edit: I've been looking up articles on the Surface, it looks like people are just trying to write articles about it at this point. I saw one that claimed it has no camera that was written a couple hours ago.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This looks really exciting, but I'm more interested in a tablet running proper Windows 8.

It's unfortunate that Apple is supposedly unveiling another iPad related device today with this being the Windows 8 launch week. :\

pswii60

This looks really exciting, but I'm more interested in a tablet running proper Windows 8.

It's unfortunate that Apple is supposedly unveiling another iPad related device today with this being the Windows 8 launch week. :\

I'm sure it's no coincidence.

strata8

I won't be able to update the post for another 8-9 hours. Just a heads up in case the review embargo is lifted for whatever reason.

aznpxdd

Waiting on the Pro to replace my first gen Zenbook. Gonna pick up the cover too, you should point out that the keyboard is a mechanical keyboard. Its gonna be so much better than other shitty laptop keyboards...

Waiting on the Pro to replace my first gen Zenbook. Gonna pick up the cover too, you should point out that the keyboard is a mechanical keyboard. Its gonna be so much better than other shitty laptop keyboards...

Next time you should read the OP.

RT is totally not interesting to me as it lacks a stylus, but unfortunately the PRO is way too expensive.

I guess I gotta rely on Acer or Samsung.

JaggedSac

Are we sure that's RT in the first vid and not Pro? (obviously Pro in the second vid as it shows the desktop).

Haven't watched the video but desktop is there in RT. And I think there would be more of a fuss about the video if it was a pro, I don't think those things have been seen yet outside of PR pictures.

pswii60

Haven't watched the video but desktop is there in RT. And I think there would be more of a fuss about the video if it was a pro, I don't think those things have been seen yet outside of PR pictures.

Ah OK, my bad.

It's seriously fast then. None of the usual iOS quirks when quickly scrolling around a page with video either.

strata8

I can't watch the video because my connection to China is apparently absolute shit (I'm talking 1-4KB/s), but if it runs as fast as everyone is saying it does I might feel less anxious about it going obsolete too quickly.

My Omnia 7 uses 2008 hardware and it's still competitive with some of the best smartphones out there. Let's hope it's the same with the Surface.

Totakeke

Pretty damn fluid and that's while running flash if the guy isn't wrong.

I was going to ask where we're getting the 23rd embargo date from, but since they're showing it off in china and letting people do hands on, I'd guess the reviews have to come pretty soon.

Moppet13

I know the difference, I have a mechanical keyboard with blue Cherry MX. And at 6 mm I highly doubt that they'll use anything else than rubber dome keys.

Bro.

I agree, just saying that the OP doesn't specify rubber dome or mechanical. So you saying read the OP is pointless since it's not specified in the OP.

Edit: Apparently we were wrong, it's Mechanical.
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/accessories/type-cover

I think Moppet thought you were confirming that the type cover has a mechanical keyboard. That's what it seems like when you only look at the single post.

Pretty much.

strata8

I know the difference, I have a mechanical keyboard with blue Cherry MX. And at 6 mm I highly doubt that they'll use anything else than rubber dome keys.

Bro.
I think Moppet thought you were confirming that the type cover has a mechanical keyboard. That's what it seems like when you only look at the single post.

Izick

It looks like an awesome device, but I don't think it's worth getting right now for the price. There's just not an established App ecosystem, so you're basically paying that much for probably the best looking tablet on the market (especially with the cover) but the future of the thing is completely unknown.

The only thing that would make me feel a bit easier is that Microsoft seems to be going all-in with regular Windows 8, in terms of tablet/touch integration, so it's likely that they're going to start filling up that App ecosystem very quickly.

For me though, I think I'm going to either wait for a 10" Nexus, or get that new Samsung Chromebook.

I'm used to people mixing up mechanical and just physical keyboards. The fact that Microsoft lists the type cover as mechanical doesn't help, so I can't even blame aznpxdd for thinking that. But like I said, I highly doubt they'll put anything spring loaded in a 6 mm thick cover.

strata8

The only thing that would make me feel a bit easier is that Microsoft seems to be going all-in with regular Windows 8, in terms of tablet/touch integration, so it's likely that they're going to start filling up that App ecosystem very quickly.

This is the big thing. Windows has the largest install base of any ecosystem on the planet. Even if only a tiny percentage shift to Windows 8 PCs, it's still going to be a significant number and a huge incentive for developers to join the platform.

jagowar

It looks like an awesome device, but I don't think it's worth getting right now for the price. There's just not an established App ecosystem, so you're basically paying that much for probably the best looking tablet on the market (especially with the cover) but the future of the thing is completely unknown.

For me though, I think I'm going to either wait for a 10" Nexus, or get that new Samsung Chromebook.

Depends on what you want.... I would say day 1 they will have the best games ecosystem out there with the xbox launch lineup. Games are about half the apps I have on my ipad so to me that is a huge deal for surface.

Izick

This is the big thing. Windows has the largest install base of any ecosystem on the planet. Even if only a tiny percentage shift to Windows 8 PCs, it's still going to be a significant number and a huge incentive for developers to join the platform.
Yeah, it's definitely going to be interesting to watch to say the least.
Depends on what you want.... I would say day 1 they will have the best games ecosystem out there with the xbox launch lineup. Games are about half the apps I have on my ipad so to me that is a huge deal for surface.

Hmm, well I had a Nexus 7 for a few weeks and I never really liked the games on it. I know the iPad/Phone has more games than Android devices, so I don't know if that's why, but none of the games really interested me. I'm usually at college for a singular block of time, with no breaks in between, so the only time I use the thing is when I'm home. When I would hunker for some gaming, I never thought about even playing a game on the thing when I had a 360 and PS3 right under my TV. Could be just me though.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
can't help but feel like they've missed the boat on corporate a little.

the latest dell tablet with win8 has a 'productivity dock'

which will help to 'replicate a desktop environment with connections for ethernet mouse/keyboard and monitor'.

mJeYM.png

but nevermind, still pretty keen on the pro for home.... would love to sit at my lounge table doing some work on that thing. curious to see how keyboard only working will actually go in practice.

not overly worried about the appstore at the moment. I imagine it will take off pretty quick a lot of desktop apps will probably try and expand out to RT tablets by coding RT versions.

popeutlal

There was no reason for MS to release this online only, no other company is even releasing any RT device. yes they've been announced but without a price or a release date and Win 8 launch is this friday.

Izick

There was no reason for MS to release this online only, no other company is even releasing any RT device. yes they've been announced but without a price or a release date and Win 8 launch is this friday.

Test the waters. If the pre-orders are any indication, the waters seem to be hot...or would it be luke-warm?

hwalker84

Other companies are releasing RT devices.
Asus Vivo Tab RT
Samsung ATIV Tab
Dell XPS 10
IdeaPad Yoga 11

SteveWD40

can't help but feel like they've missed the boat on corporate a little.

the latest dell tablet with win8 has a 'productivity dock'

which will help to 'replicate a desktop environment with connections for ethernet mouse/keyboard and monitor'.

mJeYM.png

but nevermind, still pretty keen on the pro for home.... would love to sit at my lounge table doing some work on that thing. curious to see how keyboard only working will actually go in practice.

not overly worried about the appstore at the moment. I imagine it will take off pretty quick a lot of desktop apps will probably try and expand out to RT tablets by coding RT versions.

Now that's the future for me, a desktop I can slide out and carry as a tablet? I can't wait until we plug our smartphones into a dock on our desk and it connects with the screen, mouse, keyboard and larger HDD to give us truly flexible computing.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Now that's the future for me, a desktop I can slide out and carry as a tablet? I can't wait until we plug our smartphones into a dock on our desk and it connects with the screen, mouse, keyboard and larger HDD to give us truly flexible computing.

exactly this. Executives would get boners from this stuff. the love for tablets at higher corporate levels borders on retarded. Pro would have been pretty uniquely positioned to fill that space. Group policies -> docking undocking -> domain membership etc.

feels like a huge miss for MS. Looks like Dell knows what's up, but they lack those awesome covers. Microsoft should just let OEMs copy the hell out of it.

jagowar

exactly this. Executives would get boners from this stuff. the love for tablets at higher corporate levels borders on retarded. Pro would have been pretty uniquely positioned to fill that space. Group policies -> docking undocking -> domain membership etc.

feels like a huge miss for MS. Looks like Dell knows what's up, but they lack those awesome covers. Microsoft should just let OEMs copy the hell out of it.

agreed.... imagine how much better the surface implementation would be if they could get it to use that magnetic dock connector so you just drop it in and it all syncs up.

Hmm, well I had a Nexus 7 for a few weeks and I never really liked the games on it. I know the iPad/Phone has more games than Android devices, so I don't know if that's why, but none of the games really interested me. I'm usually at college for a singular block of time, with no breaks in between, so the only time I use the thing is when I'm home. When I would hunker for some gaming, I never thought about even playing a game on the thing when I had a 360 and PS3 right under my TV. Could be just me though.

To me even the ipad isn't that great when it comes to games (despite how much love it gets from those in the industry). But being able to play ilomilo, hydro thunder, toy soldiers and more on my tablet is something that interests me. Some screenshots here: http://playxbla.com/?p=18142

Top Bottom