• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Okay, it's decided. This line from the Anandtech review helped clarify how I was looking at it:

Anandtech said:
If you’re shopping for an Ultrabook today and want that tablet experience as well, Surface Pro really is the best and only choice on the market. If however you do a lot of typing in your lap and in weird positions, a conventional notebook is better suited for you. The same goes for if you’re considering a tablet for reasons like all-day battery life or having something that’s super thin and light. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6695/microsoft-surface-pro-review/10

So, MS store, here I come!

Nander

So the 128GB Pro is already out of stock everywhere. Meh.

Anyone know how long it will take until a second shipment becomes available?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Anyone get an email from best buy? Online says none of the stores near me have the 128, just the 64.

zorbsie

Can you keep us posted on when folks start arriving? I know it's just anecdotal, but I'm stuck on a system release call right now and am trying to gauge when to leave.

at eatons centre, people are setting up the store now. 2 people are behind me now. They don't have reserves.

Wish I had another coffee. lol

a few more people have showed up. I'm sure they will have lots of units.

6 people behind me. None have reservations. Someone came around and took everyone's order.

As soon as I read that there were two people behind you, I left and started going to the store. Almost there. :)

And now I'm here and there doesn't seem to be anybody in line.

Argh... I can't decide now whether to get the 64GB or the 128GB one... $100 more... :(

iFootball

Anyone get an email from best buy? Online says none of the stores near me have the 128, just the 64.
No email for me yet... =

... And yes, at least online, none of the stores close to me seems to have stock of the 128GB, while only for some says "pick up in 3-5 days" for the 64GB.

Once again, I'm thinking it is very limited release , plus it's certainly been affected by today's storm here in the northeast

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Even if I wanted one, wouldn't be today lol. Snowed in and loving it.

Here's my story:

Got there about 50 minutes before the store opened, there was one other person in line in front of me who did not have a reservation.

After about 15 minutes there was a line of about eight or nine people and by the time store opened the line was at least 40.

A sign said that you would get a $100 voucher toward a future purchase with the purchase of any PC, and on the sign that was a picture of the surface tablet.

But when I get to the counter, the rep says that the hundred dollar voucher is only for the purchase of a PC, which does not include surface tablets. I point out that the sign shows a picture of the surface, and he says yeah it's a little bit misleading. Dejected, I left the store.

But as I am getting to the top of the escalator to leave the mall, another rep comes up behind me, catches up with me and hands me a voucher for $100 off a future purchase! She thinks me for my purchase and wishes me a great day.

I held off on getting the type cover in hopes of using the voucher, and so now that I have it I just need to wait until the 19th and I get a type cover for $30! I did, however, get the 199 bundle that comes with office 365, since we have four PCs at home that need Microsoft office, and Microsoft complete which covers accidental damage. I'm good about keeping track of when these things expire, and keep records of my purchases, so to me it was a good deal.

And it came with a case, which was nice I guess. :)

zorbsie

I also got the 199 bundle but it came with a screen protector and I opted for the home version of office because I only need it on one pc.

Awesome, congrats... That $100 voucher is great too, basically gets you the type cover for a very reasonable deal

I'm not too much into extended guarantees or care packages myself though...

I was too until my friend showed me his system. With reputable establishments like Best Buy (hehehe reputable), Microcenter, etc, if you keep good records and know when things are expiring, you can get new stuff to replace anything that's even slightly damaged or not working as efficiently.

zorbsie

First post using the surface pro. Really loving this thing. Wife is jealous. Finished installing office 2013 now to get steam and CS6 on this bad boy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I wonder how hard these will be to come by in the coming weeks. They're out of stock everywhere near me, so I will be waiting a while to hunt one down.

zorbsie

Neat link. That might come in handy.

Edit: One thing I wish was different with this is the length of the power cable. The total length is fine, but the length between the power brick (which has an extra usb plug on it) and the outlet is pretty short. Maybe it's just for charging things and not actually connecting devices to the surface.

Neat link. That might come in handy.

Edit: One thing I wish was different with this is the length of the power cable. The total length is fine, but the length between the power brick (which has an extra usb plug on it) and the outlet is pretty short. Maybe it's just for charging things and not actually connecting devices to the surface.

It's just for charging.

Nander

I don't think I was supposed to get it. The offer online says it does not include Surfaces. So I think it was either a miscommunication or a gesture of goodwill.

It was probably due to the Surface image on the offer. Good business practice is to always interpret vague information in the customer's favor.

TwIsTeD

As someone that owned a Surface RT im getting pulled back into the camp....the form factor was great but RTs performance was the biggest drain.

I fly alot and I will say that the Surface RT was so perfect on tray tables but man that battery life on the Pro is really holding me back...I need a extended battery type cover stat and I will jump back in

Oh and a small rant......its a freakin tablet...if your gonna use it on a couch or bed why not fold the cover back and use the damn thing on your lap without the keyboard...its not really that bad at all

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Fucking hell, CT governor has banned all cars on the roads for now. Which of course means all the businesses have to be fucking closed.

Fucking.

Snow.

I.

HATE.

SNOW!!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Fucking hell, CT governor has banned all cars on the roads for now. Which of course means all the businesses have to be fucking closed.

Fucking.

Snow.

I.

HATE.

SNOW!!

That.... .... actually sounds kind of awesome, lol.

But I am sorry you can't go get your new toy! :(

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
That.... .... actually sounds kind of awesome, lol.

But I am sorry you can't go get your new toy! :(

Nah, it's alright. It's just disappointing that it had to happen right now, ya know? Couldn't happen next week, or even a couple days from now. Nope, Saturday. Obviously. >>;

Chris R

Two local Best Buys, only one store showing any Pro in stock (64 GB version too)... Still going in to see if they have them and just screwed the pooch on their online inventory.

Fucking hell, CT governor has banned all cars on the roads for now.

They can...do that?

Neither of the Best Buys in town have gotten any Surface Pros, apparently. Every time I went this week to check out the display unit, there was a place the Pro was supposed to be, but it was constantly empty. Weird. I can't think of anywhere else to check.

I know Memphis isn't the wealthiest or most tech-savvy city in the US, but it is a pretty damn big city and not being able to find any in the entirety of it is disappointing.

m0dus

Banned
My bb ended up getting around TWO. A 128 and 64.

My 1st reservation was a 64, which I had changed up to a 128 2 days ago. Ironically, they never cancelled my first reservation. The only 128 belonged to some dude who reserved ahead of me. So I ended up getting a 64, plus the manager was kind enough to give me a 64 bg sdxc card for 1/2 price. I dunno if I'll hang onto the surface, I may just exchange it for my 128 when that comes in...

I was going to hit breakfast before going to MS store since it was posted here there's hardly any line.

Oh look I'm the 26th person. Fuuuuuu

Edit: giving some goodies at the line

Top Bottom