• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Survivalist" who filled his basement with food decides Puerto Ricans need it more

Badame and his wife, Phyliss, were survivalists who stocked up on everything: dry food, generators, fuel, survival books, thousands of rolls of toilet paper — all to keep them alive in the event of a disaster or some other crisis.

But Phyliss, who came up with the idea of prepping, is now gone. Other family members never really supported the endeavor, and there aren’t many of them left to help or save anyway.

And Badame, the 74-year-old widower, is being evicted from the house in Medford, N.J.

Forty-five years of prepping seemed to have been for nothing, he said.

That changed last month, when he met a couple who run a Puerto Rican food truck in Medford.

Victoria and Anthony Barber were everything Joseph Badame was not anymore — young, energetic and full of life.

They met during an estate sale of Badame’s belongings. The company facilitating it had asked the Barbers to provide food for prospective buyers.

Badame learned that Victoria is from Puerto Rico, and that Hurricane Maria had left some of her relatives without food.

So he told her about the food supply in his basement — and said she could have all of it.

“I can’t put into words just how much food there was,” she said. “It was enough to feed a town.”

In the basement were 80 barrels, each weighing 360 pounds.

They were filled with bags of rice, flour, sugar, dried beans, pancake and chocolate mixes, seeds and lots of other things that do not spoil and are easy to prepare.

The food that the Badames had intended to eat in case of crisis will now feed starving people in two Puerto Rican towns devastated by Hurricane Maria.

He and Phyliss became survivalists in the 1970s, when they returned to New Jersey after spending two years with the Peace Corps in Tunisia. Violent race riots engulfed Camden in 1969.

More riots erupted two years later, following the beating and death of a Puerto Rican motorist at the hands of two white police officers. Looting and arson destroyed downtown Camden; many residents, most of them white, moved elsewhere.

“I’m tired, old, depressed, feeling like I’m a failure regarding the survival thing,” he said. Then Barber “came along, gave me a shot of adrenaline. I couldn’t believe it.”

Badame and Barber each gained something they didn’t have.

He doesn’t have children; her own father died when she was young.

“I gained a dad out of all this,” she said.

Pv74gPP.jpg

More at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...od-then-decided-puerto-ricans-needed-it-more/

Store thread in a basement if old

That's an amazing story. Read the whole thing then got to that last sentence and began balling. So wonderful. Need more people to love and give to each other

Syriel

Excellent story.

Good to see that all of those resources aren't going to waste.

And it's awesome that two people were able to both help the other.

trejo

It feels nice to read a positive story every once in a while. Props to that man for giving all that away to people in greater need of it.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
That's a lot of karma.

Folks are probably going to rally around this dude. I bet he gets enough donations to keep the house.

Dhx

OP: Why put "survivalist" in quotes? You (and even I) may find it a ridiculous lifestyle, but it's an accurate descriptor.

Laudable of him to help out.

Blizzard

Banned
That last line plus the picture right after made me tear up a little. ;_; I'm glad the food can be put to good use.

sturmdogg

OP: Why put "survivalist" in quotes? You (and even I) may find it a ridiculous lifestyle, but it's an accurate descriptor.

How is it a ridiculous lifestyle if it helps your family (and in this case, a whole friggin' town) live another day?

Edit: TWO towns.

Dunno, it was just the first time I ever read this word actually.

That's a lot of karma.

Folks are probably going to rally around this dude. I bet he gets enough donations to keep the house.

Seems like it's too late for the house, but he probably has no regret because he and Barber are neighbors now:
Badame now lives in a 300-square-foot trailer, parked in Barber's front yard.
(His trailer is bigger than my appartment, haha)

The story makes me happy and sad, because of this. Especially at his age.

Buried in debt because of eight years of medical bills and lost income, he could not prevent banks from foreclosing on his custom-built New Jersey home

Shadybiz

VERY cool story.

Shame about him losing the house. I live right near Medford. Unless you're wealthy, it is not a good place to retire, especially with the medical bills and lost income that he has. The property taxes in that area are bananas.

Top Bottom