• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swen Vincke was worried that Baldur's Gate 3 would be too short, as Larian made a ton of extra areas they wound up cutting

LectureMaster

Gold Member

"Moonrise Tower used to be two towers," Vincke said of the Cult of the Absolute's lair. "For a long time there was actually the ruins of the second tower. The reason we removed the extra tower was purely productional: It was just the game was betting too big, and so we had to cut that out.

"You would be surprised to know that we actually had many more regions that we planned to make⁠—I was afraid that the game was going to be too short originally, but I've notoriously always been bad at judging the length of our games."

The game is already as pinnacle as an expansive game can be, but I honestly think it would be perfect if we could have a more complete city in ACT 3.

I'm really surprised people didn't like Act 3, it was my favorite by far, I loved the city and all the interactions, the amount of exploration etc... I Spent 100 hours in act 3 alone, it was amazing.
Finished the game in 220 hours.
It was great.

But act 2 was something different so it felt more “special”.

Sentenza

Could have cut out act 2 and focused more on act 3.
Terrible idea.
If anything the other way around. Expand the game in the middle and cut some of the bloat in the final portion of the game where they throw everything and the kitchen sink in the same urban area.

I already said in the past that Act 3 should have been structured differently in my opinion, with the city acting as some sort of "central hub" and the party being asked to travel through a bunch of adjacent regions to accomplish other secondary goals.
Centering everything on the "lower city" made that portion of the game feel too monotone for its own good (and it's not entirely incidental that the best tidbits of Act 3 are the ones where you break free from it: Iron throne, House of Hope, Wyrm's lair, etc).

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Boggles the mind when people try and complete every possible thing they can in one run and then complain it's too long. Ya think?

You should do the mountain pass or the Underdark in one run and the vast majority of act three is completely optional content.

It's a game made to be played multiple times without trying to be a completionist because you literally can't.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm really surprised people didn't like Act 3, it was my favorite by far, I loved the city and all the interactions, the amount of exploration etc... I Spent 100 hours in act 3 alone, it was amazing.

Agree. I think each act was better than the previous myself.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I remember Witcher 3 devs said the same thing, they cut a ton of content at the last minute and then redirected attention to adding a lot of small points of interest and side stuff all over the map and it ended up making the game a lot better.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Its already too big.

James Franco Wtf GIF by Hellow Festival

StereoVsn

The game is already as pinnacle as an expansive game can be, but I honestly think it would be perfect if we could have a more complete city in ACT 3.

I wish Act 3 was a bit more expansive on a few places.

Raven117

Except Act 3 is the weakest part of the game and Act 2 the best.
I disagree. Act 2 just didn’t do it for me.
Terrible idea.
If anything the other way around. Expand the game in the middle and cut some of the bloat in the final portion of the game where they throw everything and the kitchen sink in the same urban area.

I already said in the past that Act 3 should have been structured differently in my opinion, with the city acting as some sort of "central hub" and the party being asked to travel through a bunch of adjacent regions to accomplish other secondary goals.
Centering everything on the "lower city" made that portion of the game feel too monotone for its own good (and it's not entirely incidental that the best tidbits of Act 3 are the ones where you break free from it: Iron throne, House of Hope, Wyrm's lair, etc).
I like the hub idea, and hoped that is what we were going to get.

But really, Larian needs to figure out how to make their worlds more seamless and coherent. The separate acts and maps sort of feel like different games rather than a whole.

Sentenza

There won’t be any DLC or sequels from Larian. They have moved on.
Yeah, they've been clear that they won't work on any DLC, nor they plan to develop any other D&D-licensed title, either.
They have two new games in development of which AT LEAST one is supposed to be a BIG project like BG3 and (unless what they said so far was deliberately misleading) BOTH are supposed to be based on their proprietary IPs.
Which means it's either Divinity (the only IP they own) or something entirely new.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, they've been clear that they won't work on any DLC, nor they plan to develop any other D&D-licensed title, either.
They have two new games in development of which AT LEAST one is supposed to be a BIG project like BG3 and (unless what they said so far was deliberately misleading) BOTH are supposed to be based on their proprietary IPs.
Which means it's either Divinity (the only IP they own) or something entirely new.
Yep, they are done at least for now with external IPs.

I think there will be Divinity 3 game out of the two, and something else. Considering Larian’s games quality starting with Divinity OS1, I can’t wait!

Sentenza

On a marginally related note, there have been recent news from Owlcat as well, dropping some info about the FOUR new games they currently have at various stages of development.

I've seen them discussed elsewhere but we know that if it isn't some console war bullshit it's not something that gets attention here.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Boggles the mind when people try and complete every possible thing they can in one run and then complain it's too long. Ya think?

You should do the mountain pass or the Underdark in one run and the vast majority of act three is completely optional content.

It's a game made to be played multiple times without trying to be a completionist because you literally can't.
Don't listen to this nonsense.

You should do the Underdark AND the mountain pass.

Why skip all the awesome content? Doesn't make sense at all.

Plus, you are potentially skipping one of the best weapons

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Honestly in my first run, I decide I will not do everything because I knew it was a massive game.
So I didn't step a foot in the underdark (missing the forge...).
I explored a bit area but didn't try to do everything and quest I saw. I also took it from the RP side : I want to get rid of the tadpole, so I will not take my time to do exploration.
Still took me 100h to finish the game. It felt a bit long at the end.

So in my second run, I was happy to have new areas to discover (underdark, Forge...) and new things to do. So I was really happy about my choice of skipping stuff in my first run.

Depend on players of course, but I would also advice to not "force" yourself to do everything. This game has an insane replayability value, so you can keep stuff for other runs.
Anyway you can't do everything in one run, so it's fine to "miss" stuff.

Skifi28

Act 1 and 2 could have used a little more content, but they were by no means small. It's always interesting to see how it's difficult to have the full picture of the final product during development.

Last edited:
Have not played the game yet. This gives me an excuse to keep on not playing till they release more content.
LOL yeah I guess you could say it really was too short 🤪;

The next patch (Patch 7) coming in September, adds new evil endings 😈 , some scene tweaks, and adds official mod support, but after Patch 7 it’s just going to be hotfixes…so they’re done after that:

PfBtaDO.gif

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

You aren't skipping it, you're saving it for 2nd playthrough. If you're only ever going to play it once then sure, do both, but it was aimed at the people who spent 100+ hours in one run then complained it was too long.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
How many people even reached act 3?

Consumers buy videogames that they don't even play.

AV

How many people even reached act 3?

Consumers buy videogames that they don't even play.

Steam achievement stats:

91% - left the opening scene
52% - finished act 1
40% - finished act 2
22% - finished the game
4.6% - finished hard mode

Contextually that's actually not too horrible considering how much time you can theoretically spend in the first two acts. Many games that people don't finish are significantly shorter.

Steam achievement stats:

91% - left the opening scene
52% - finished act 1
40% - finished act 2
22% - finished the game
4.6% - finished hard mode

Contextually that's actually not too horrible considering how much time you can theoretically spend in the first two acts. Many games that people don't finish are significantly shorter.
Another thing is mods by default disable achievements (although there’s also a mod to restore achievements), so even those numbers get a bit foggy.

I also remember in my PC gaming days going offline for single player games just to save resources (Basically turn off almost everything in task manager but what’s needed to run the game)…and it is a kinda demanding game on CPU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom