• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swimming in San Andreas

andthebeatgoeson

It's a nice writeup and I'm glad they elimnated one of the weaker restrictions in the game. It didn't have that much of an impact on actual gameplay but I stayed away from boats when I usually was just fucking around. I'm guessing this will lead many onto the water to just fuck around, which I might add, is one of GTA strong points: fuckin around.

evil ways

I wonder if you can bail out of Helicopters in mid air and jump right into the water. This is gonna be so good.

belgurdo

Banned
This'll be a nice improvement over Vice City handled water, where if you fucked up on parking the boat right when trying to get the hidden packages on the water, you were pretty much dead, or if you strayed like an inch from the beach the game sapped you of your running speed and automatically docked you 20 HP

belgurdo said:
This'll be a nice improvement over Vice City handled water, where if you fucked up on parking the boat right when trying to get the hidden packages on the waterP

Not only that, sometimes you could just be driving your car/bike too close to the water and if the water touches you then you'd start losing energy. This is definetly a big change for the serious. Even if it seems minor it'll change the actual gameplay quite a bit.

acklame

some npc can swim too...

There are other cool new additions to the water-based aspects of San Andreas than what we've mentioned above as well. The wave physics, for example, have been completely re-worked so that the open water reacts more realistically to different weather types. Should the San Francisco-inspired San Fierro be hit with a storm, for instance, the water will get extremely rough and choppy. Each boat will react to the wave conditions as well, with swells slowly pushing the boats towards the shore complete with realistic wake effects.

One last thing that prospective players should never forget is that CJ isn't the only character in San Andreas that can swim. Several of the other NPCs can also enjoy the waters of their home state but what kind of an impact this will have on CJ's own time in the water has yet to be seen.

Jim Bowie

I'm more excited about the physical fitness aspects in the game. Also, I wonder... will swimming make you shed some poundage?

I hope you can drown someone, as sick as that’s sounds it would still be fun though. Say you had a mission where you had to get info from someone you could interrogate them by holding there head underwater for a while. You could probably do the same in a sink, bath or with a barrel of water outside.

Ohhhhh the possibilities....

hobbitx

Alex Anderson said:
A black dude swimming? :-o

Nino Brown was an excellent diver. ;)

I am so glad they are finally dumping that "wiseguys don't swim" bs, that drowning stuff was getting old.

Keyser Soze said:
I hope you can drown someone, as sick as that’s sounds it would still be fun though. Say you had a mission where you had to get info from someone you could interrogate them by holding there head underwater for a while. You could probably do the same in a sink, bath or with a barrel of water outside.

Ohhhhh the possibilities....
Come to think of it, that could be one thing GTA could use, some grapple moves. Nothing like wrestling or anything, but simply being able to grab someone and choke them (or put them in a chokehold from behind), throw them to the ground, or smash them into a wall/lamp post/car, would make hand to hand combat much more fun.

hobbitx said:
I am so glad they are finally dumping that "wiseguys don't swim" bs, that drowning stuff was getting old.

But it's true. Some chick almost drowned me in a pool when she pulled me out to the deep end.

Remember the beginning of Goodfellas? Well, imagine they did a little homage to that, where one of your "victims" is in the trunk of the car you're driving and suddenly you hear him banging at the trunk. So you dump the car in the river and the bastard drowns. :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
skinnyrattler said:
I'm guessing this will lead many onto the water to just fuck around, which I might add, is one of GTA strong points: fuckin around.
I would contend that "fuckin around" is the ONLY reason to play GTA. And I do love it so for that.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
MetatronM said:
I would contend that "fuckin around" is the ONLY reason to play GTA. And I do love it so for that.

I would contend that you are out of your mind. Vice City had one of the more compelling stories of the past few years.

trippingmartian said:
Remember the beginning of Goodfellas? Well, imagine they did a little homage to that, where one of your "victims" is in the trunk of the car you're driving and suddenly you hear him banging at the trunk. So you dump the car in the river and the bastard drowns. :)

Uh, they didnt ditch the car in the water, they opend the trunk, stabbed the guy multipul times and shot him. Is there another cut perhaps?

And swimming will kick ass, i cant wait to jump in a car with a pasanger who chooses to come with me, than I'll drive off he road in to water, bail, and hope the passanger isnt as strong as me and cant open the damn dore, than I'll watch the car sink, and laugh.... MUWAHAHAHA

MetatronM said:

Minotauro said:
I would contend that you are out of your mind. Vice City had one of the more compelling stories of the past few years.

Yeah Both games had good stories, and fun gameplay on challanging missions, and completing the game to 100% is a true challange. Than after 100%, 'fuckin around' is what you have left, but it's a lot more than most games offer once you have done EVERYTHING.

~Black Deatha

Top Bottom