• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit |OT| Fighting the RNG for the cure

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
pit_banner3daaq5.png

--------------------

July, 2013 | DLC NOW AVAILABLE | $4.99 - Steam | Gamersgate | GMG | GOG

Features:

• 2 New playable characters; the Human Psion and Tarka Ranger – the first playable alien character!
  • 10 New floors of ancient, evil science add to the challenge!
  • New room types, including wide, multi-level biospheres!
  • New traps, new weapons, new items, and new recipes!
  • New game mechanics, including 28 Psionic Powers!
  • New Psionic enemies to fight, drawn from the Sword of the Stars universe!
  • 2 New Play Modes; “Infinite Mode” as well as “Seriously? Mode”, for those players that find “Insane Mode” isn’t insane enough!
  • Expanded meta-game aspects, including the ability to “bank” XP and spare items from one session and start the next run of the game on a deeper level, using your “banked” equipment.
--------------------

A deadly plague ravages your world. Your last hope: a legendary alien facility dug deep into the Feldspar Mountains...a massive Pit, built by the ancient Suul'ka.

If “The Pit” really exists, there might be something left. Something that will give your doctors a fighting chance at the cure.

--------------------

panels1dcjqh.png

Platform: PC (Digital) - Demo Available
Developer: Kerberos Productions
Price: $9.99 US | Mind Games DLC - $4.99
Retailers: Steam | GMG (Steam DRM) | Gamersgate (DRM Free) | GOG (DRM Free)
Genre: Roguelike RPG

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a roguelike RPG currently featuring a single procedurally generated 30 floor dungeon, achievements, crafting, three playable characters
and four difficulties. Combat is turn-based, every action has a skill check and chance to fail and progress may be saved and resumed until death, which is permanent.
There's also the Sotsdex, which keeps a record of all enemies, equipment, items, recipes and decrypted messages you discover across all games.

The Pit begins with an optional tutorial (highly recommended) and choosing your class:

characters10arqg.png

wyntktsitptext4ijuk.png

Level | Stat | Skill basics:

• Scout: +1 stat point/level | Marine: +3 stat points/level | Engineer: +2 stat points/level
  • A bonus of (Base Stat / 5) is added to associated skills when used.
  • Non-weapon skills increase naturally by +1 per successful use until skill level 45.
  • Weapon skills have a % chance, based on brain stat, to increase naturally upon use until skill level 45.
  • Skill points are given to distribute upon leveling. When increasing a skill this way the increase will be +1, +2 or +3 at random.
  • The default cost to increase a skill at level up is 2 skill points. If you have successfully used the skill before leveling the cost will be reduced to 1 point.
  • Skills max at 100 base points, at which point bonuses still apply but the skill may no longer be increased upon leveling.

Might - Increases fist and melee weapon damage, inventory size (+6 slots/10 might), poison resist, grab resist and stomach capacity. Associated skills:

might45juh.png

• Mechanical
  • Blade
  • Knife
  • Melee

Finesse - Increases weapon accuracy and blind resist. Associated skills:

finesseihkny.png

• Assault Weapons
  • Electronics
  • Heavy Weapons
  • Lockpick
  • Pistol
  • Rifle
  • Traps

Brains - Improves chance for natural skill gain when using weapons. Increases confusion resist. Associated skills:

brains0ckcx.png

• Biotech
  • Computers
  • Decipher
  • Forage
  • Medical

wyuatextciawd.png

enemybannerqbr3c.png

• Enemy AI - When you're at the mercy of the RNG gods, anything consistent is a welcome sight; learning each enemy's behavior, range, status effects & weaknesses is vital.
  • Risk vs reward - Your skill may seem high enough to disable, booby trap or use an object to your benefit, but you always have at least a 1% chance of failing and suffering the consequences.
  • Status effects - Blindness, poison, disease, confusion, radiation--just to name a few. They're easy to contract, bring a quick death and remedies are scarce. Don't forget why it happened.
  • Durability - Your armor and weapons require occasional repair. Once they're gone, they're gone for good. Some enemies are more than happy to give your arsenal an acid bath if you let them close enough.
  • Collateral Damage - Hiver Commander just destroy a much needed lab and ammo stashes? Don't put anything valuable between you and a flame thrower. Watch where you lob your own grenades as well.

trapsnhunger0ir4p.png

• Trap Doors - Not only are most doors locked, some are trapped and carelessly going through the wrong one can mean anything from losing a rare item to losing your life. Destroy it or find another path.
  • Floor Traps - Floor tiles can also be hazardous to your health and attempting to disable these traps can have deadly consequences. You may be better off to destroy them from afar or avoid them.
  • Hunger - In addition to keeping an eye on your health, you'll need to make sure you get enough to eat. Starvation is a real threat.
  • RNG - You may find 1,000 rifle ammo and still only have a pistol. Plan for the worst and never count on the RNG to give you a missing piece. Conserve ammo if you can take weaker enemies on face to face.
  • Time - Actions take turns. Reloading your weapons and interacting with objects in the environment will leave you vulnerable for a number of turns. Reloading won't be interrupted but interaction will.

craftingtextp4upr.png

craftingqnzjr.png

• Lab Station - Allows you to craft materials into armor, weapons, utility items, ammo and repair kits. Success in repairing and activating a lab station is based on your Electronics skill.
  • Cooker - Allows you to combine ingredients to create medicine and more nourishing food. Cooking mostly relies on your skill in Biotech and Medical, while repairing a broken cooker is based on your Mechanical skill.
  • Successfully crafting an item is dependent upon your skill in a given field. This varies depending on what you're creating. A chance to fail always exists, and the higher quality the desired item, the more likely you are to fail.
  • Recipes are discovered by decrypting messages at computer terminals and are recorded in your Sotsdex. You do not have to learn a recipe to create it, so it's up to you whether to find them all on your own or look them up online.
  • Labs and cookers break after a few uses. Sometimes you'll only get one shot.

aatastexty1uw1.png

interactiveobjectseoowy.png

Rumors of The Pit being full of advanced alien technology seem to be true. You'll often find services in need of electronic repair before they can be used, but if you manage to fix them and are skilled with computers they're invaluable.

• Repair Unit - Allows you to repair the durability of a small number of equipment before breaking down. Repairs also have the undesirable side-effect of lowering max durability.
  • Charging Hub - Allows you to recharge a small number of tools in your inventory before running out of power.
  • Augmentation Bay - Provides a random, permanent buff or debuff. This can be as simple as raising or lowering your stats, or as terrible as inflicting you with tunnel vision.
  • Med-Bay - The Suul'ka combined our ATM, vending machine and tanning booth technology into this scientific wonder of instant healing.
  • Containers - They house food, ammo, materials, armor, weapons and medicine. Failure to pass the Mechanical or Lockpick skill check may jam a container permanently, or worse.
  • Foraging - This skill increases your chance to find loot from containers, and possibly the quantity and quality. Foraging is also checked when digging through rubbish piles and recycling bins.

mmmttexttskgt.png

modsmedstools0vkva.png

• Mods & Mutagens - Provide random bonuses or penalties when socketed into equipment, or ingested in the case of mutagens. Effects are tied to color, unknown until identified and are randomized in each game.
  • Keys - Some doors have special locks, noted by letter designs from the Greek alphabet. They are more difficult to lockpick but occasionally their keys can be found.
  • Medicine - Dropped, found in containers and cooked up in the kitchen. Medicine can heal as well as cure status ailments and will save your life many times over. Medical skill is required to administer most of them properly.
  • Tools - Some tools have unique abilities such as identifying the effects of mods & mutagens, making unsafe food edible, repairing weapons and detecting traps. Most simply add to your skill and thus your success rate when you attempt an action.
  • Charges - Most tools have a limited number of charges before they must be recharged at a charging hub. Some tools cannot be recharged.

screenstextsfjan.png

araif9ukl.png

panels278rnq.png

Demo
Official Website
Official Forums
Game Manual
Sword of the Stars: The Pit Wiki
Indiegogo Crowdfunding Campaign
2/21/13 - Gamersgate release
3/08/13 - Steam release
3/15/13 - Update 1.0.2
3/29/13 - Update 1.0.3
4/06/13 - Update 1.0.4
7/03/13 - Mind Games DLC released
7/06/13 - Update 1.1.1s
7/09/13 - Update 1.1.2
7/12/13 - Update 1.1.3
7/13/13 - Update 1.1.3.2
7/19/13 - Update 1.1.4
Information in this post based on version 1.0.4

gaftop5xoukj.png

The most resourceful soldiers on GAF. Simply post your High Scores screen from the Main Menu, and preferably the stats screen displayed at death/completion as well. Ranking is based on game difficulty and depth reached.

1. -
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. -

Really enjoyed The Pit. Was curious to see how they'd use the SotS IP for such a genre jump, but it's a nice little game, for sure.

This looks really interesting. Roguelikes have piqued my interest more since Binding of Isaac, and this looks like a pretty cool interpretation of the genre. May have to pick this up.

Sajjaja

Yay xelios! Great OT. the game is definitely worth checking out. It has a nice level of depth and variety to keep you happy :D I recommend playing on easy the first little while to get familiar with everything.

xelios

I saw this on youtube the other day, looks awesome. Maybe add some screenshots to the op?

It's pretty fun, but very unforgiving (as a roguelike should be!). I'm almost to the end with my scout on normal. Added screens, thanks.

The game has a demo on Steam and Gamersgate and received a content update for Easter just a couple days ago, so now's a great time to try it out.

I've put about 50 hours in and am just now getting into Hard difficulty. I've resisted spoiling the recipes by looking them up on the Internet, so I had more than a few easy runs doing nothing but looking for consoles for deciphering. It took forever to get the Rosetta Brain recipe so that was even slower.

If I could give one piece of advice to new players, it would be to go ahead and start on easy and focus on recipe farming. The difference between Normal w/ no recipes and Normal with the following recipes:

- Chitin Plate Armor
- Hero Sotswich
- Targeting Helm/X-Ray helm I forgot the name of
- Lifter Pack

Is pretty savage. Engineer/Scout basically folds on Normal around floor 12/13 unless he gets a decent armor drop if you don't have the Chitin armor recipe. Hero Sotswich+4D copiers are a tremendous help in getting through food issues in the game.

Game is fantastic, easily my indie game of the year so far. I hope Kerberos will continue to support the game with awesome patches. It's got a pretty good following on Twitch right now, if that is transferring into sales that would be a good thing for future expansions and content.

xelios

Update 1.0.4 Just over a week since the last (Easter) update. New enemies and recipes.

Critical fixes:
- Fixed rare keyboard crash a couple players reported.

Other fixes:
- Fixed (finally) bug: Burst-fire sometimes misfiring when poisoned/choked.
- Fixed bug: Level up sound playing when earning first experience in new game.
- Fixed attack animations holding last frame while shot travels to target.
- Fixed bug: Charge Hub infinite XP exploit.
- Fixed bug: Selection color in recipe list for crafting.
- Fixed bug: Enemies occupying the same square.
- Fixed visual issues with attack animations.
- Fixed bug: Interacting with devices while blind causing Outline to disappear.
- Fixed bug: Skill/Stat modifiers not showing descriptions when loading save game.
- Fixed bug: Extra ammo/items being discarded when picking up loot with full inventory.

Additions and changes:
- Enviromentally sealed armors now protect against gas attacks.
- Added notification if player equips a weapon they don't meet the requirements for.
- Added HUD toggle.
- Quantum Scan Helmet now reveals props.
- Adjusted monster variety on Floor 30 on Hard/Insane difficulty.
- Added dragging item onto another of the same size to swap positions in inventory.
- Added more info to SotsDex entries for weapons/armor/characters.
- Added moves remaining to HUD.
- Added grouping similar items when auto-sorting inventory.
- Added log entries in SotSDex for experience earned.
- Added context menu for shortcut items in Inventory.
- Auto-targeting will track last target.
- Skills now show stat contribution.
- Biomods/Keys grouped together in SotsDex, including post-identification.
- Energy Drink reduced speed increase from 2 to 1
- Changed recipe failure dialog colors. Green for success, yellow for valid but failed recipe, red for invalid recipe.
- New recipes and monsters.

So the expansion is out, and it's actually very good. A few notes after a couple of day's play:

- Game is MUCH harder than before. Normal feels like old Hard.
- The between game vault storage every five floors isn't nearly as broken as it sounds. It is somewhat "unroguelike" but it's not cheating. It just makes runs a bit less random, and it's not like the game can't kill you even with your carried-over gear. Note that usually you are presented with a de facto decision to either stop your run and store the goodies for the next character or simply store crafting materials, excess guns/ammo for the next run.

Note that the storage is persistent across plays but each storage unit per 5 floors has its own storage. You can't store something on level 10 and on a subsequent run get it on level 5. You have to reach the storage on level 10 to get it.

Supposedly there are some bugs related to the outdoors biome but I haven't hit it yet.

Would it be smarter to finish the vanilla game before getting the expansion? I don't want new gameplay stuff thrown into the base game if its all wonky.

Yes, for two reasons.

First, you want to unlock the messages and recipes for the base game on the SOTSDEX anyway, and you can do that in the base game.

Second, the game is MUCH harder with the expansion. You will want to have beaten the game on at least normal to understand what you'll need to make a run through The Pit hum.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I bought this and the expansion from gog.com last night. Pretty cool so far. I like subdividing movement the way it does so that you can take a step and take an action. The enemies seem to have pretty good variety and I like the graphics. Mountains of gear is awesome.

I wish it were better at surfacing/explaining numbers though. It isn't really clear to me exactly how much damage things will do, or what is armor really doing. I saw damage numbers on the weapons but didn't see a lot of correlation between the numbers and what was actually happening. And when I cast a psi buff I couldn't find anything about duration or cooldown.

Is there any kind of creative interaction between the items. One of my favorite aspects of roguelikes like nethack and shiren is that a rather mundane piece of gear can have benefits you don't even realize. At least so far, everything I've found (aside from ingredients) seem to have a singular purpose.

What is the best/easiest class to learn the game with? Marine seems good for early game depth but they seem too combat focused if my goal is to learn the game as opposed to just get as deep as possible.

I wish it were better at surfacing/explaining numbers though. It isn't really clear to me exactly how much damage things will do, or what is armor really doing. I saw damage numbers on the weapons but didn't see a lot of correlation between the numbers and what was actually happening. And when I cast a psi buff I couldn't find anything about duration or cooldown.

Psi stuff isn't documented. We're hoping we get that soon.

Armor reduces damage, of course. However, if you have a lot of damage but low penetration on your damage source, then you can get some very low damage numbers. So you want to use weapons with low penetration on organics and other "soft" targets, and use weapons with higher penetration for higher-armored targets. As for yourself, you really want as much armor as possible (it's just that simple).

Is there any kind of creative interaction between the items. One of my favorite aspects of roguelikes like nethack and shiren is that a rather mundane piece of gear can have benefits you don't even realize. At least so far, everything I've found (aside from ingredients) seem to have a singular purpose.

The crafting system is a key part towards this. You'll find combos as you go.of groups of items that work really well together.

What is the best/easiest class to learn the game with? Marine seems good for early game depth but they seem too combat focused if my goal is to learn the game as opposed to just get as deep as possible.

Scout or the new Tarkan Ranger are the best classes for learning the game.

So what is up with holding down the control button to select individual targets for the machine gun?

I have made various attempts to recreate this technique after the tutorial but it hasn't worked out very well.

You hold down control, then click your mouse on the target for the first bullet, then teh second, then the third. I'm not sure the mouse firing was added until after the tutorial was completed though.

There's a patch in the works for the bigger issues with Mindgames that will be out this weekend/next week, btw.

slayn

What determines modifiers to weapon stats? Like if a rifle says:
accuracy 55 (+10)
damage 9 (-2)

Where are the +10 and -2 coming from? And does that mean it is doing 9 damage or 7? I have not added any biomod things.

edit: what are the bigger issues?

slayn

Also, I made this for myself. Maybe it will be useful to someone else. The stat guides I saw for the classes were pre-bonuses from attributes which I found... not that useful? I don't find I'm interested in the base skills as much as what they actually have. So this is the skill values as they really are when you start out. I find it interesting that the scout got a nice boost to psionic abilities. Perhaps the scout was seen as underpowered in the original version? Also the ranger seems incredibly overpowered from my naive view. unless you really make use of those psionic powers, the ranger is better than the scout in almost every way.

Code:
		Marine	Engr	Scout	Psion	Ranger
Health		60	40	50	60	65
Health Gain	25	15	20	???	???
Stat Gain	3	2	1	1	3
Skill Gain	4	6	8	8	4

Might		70	35	40	30	55
Finesse		45	55	70	45	60
Brains		40	75	55	55	50
Psi		20	25	50	75	45

Melee		54	8	53	36	61
Knife		44	41	49	10	47
Blade		59	12	18	31	56
Spear		15	8	9	7	51
Pistol		44	51	64	44	47
Rifle		59	26	49	10	62
Assault Weapon	64	16	24	10	67
Heavy Weapons	54	12	15	10	13

Lockpicking	19	36	44	29	62
Electronics	10	66	19	10	13
Mechanical	34	57	35	11	36
Computers	13	70	21	31	45
Decipher	13	50	41	26	55
Engineering	9	75	12	12	11

Foraging	18	35	41	26	60
Medical		18	60	41	31	40
Trap		29	51	59	39	52
Biotech		33	50	56	26	45

Empathy		5	6	20	50	10
Telekinesis	14	10	20	40	10
War Mind	5	6	20	35	10
Redaction	5	6	20	45	10
Manifestation	5	6	20	35	10
Mecha Empathy	5	15	20	30	10
Resistance	14	6	20	50	19

The Scout gets 2x the number of skill points per level vs. the ranger, and starts with as good if not better gear (since you get a lockpick set, which is especially crucial on higher levels since you really need to unlock a good weapon fast like a rifle, autorifile, shotgun/autoshotgun, etc).

The skill points let the scout actually go deep in multiple psi trees by the midgame (after the patch change that halves psi skill raising costs) whereas the ranger really can't afford to do more than one. The big benefits of the Ranger is really the starting SAR, high might w/ 3 points of base stats per level, and the added movement speed (which the Scout can get via Cheetah Exo armor but that armor will simply not live vs. stuff like heavy morrigi drones, etc.).

slayn

My comment was pre-patch, it makes a whole lot more sense now that psionic abilities can be leveled much more easily. The ranger's speed still has a massive hidden benefit, which is the significantly lower food consumption

Anyway, is armor really just about the armor rating? I found some Enviro armor which had a description of 'low armor but protects against corrosion and radiation' except... it was tied for the highest armor rating I have seen in the game. So why the 'low armor' description?

Also, is there something that explains, in detail, how the skills work. Even something like the blade skill which obviously has to do with sword weapons but what is raising it actually doing? Increase accuracy? damage? how much?

I find it very hard to make informed choices about where to put skill points when I only understand in the abstract what they are doing. I find myself ignoring the weapon skills in favor of things like lockpicking and mechanical because you can see the success rate increasing as you level them. But I've never observed a concrete advantage from raising a weapon skill by a 5 points.

totowhoa

Banned
Friend of mine talked this game up to me a lot in march/april. Definitely gonna check it out now that it's on sale. Kind of surprised this didn't seem to catch on with the niche of roguelike fans here.

Edit: damn, this thread got sent to Community with only 21 posts? Guess the bump about the sale will be pretty pointless :p Seems kind of weird that this thread would have been moved here.

Nymerio

So when all your weapons get destroyed you're pretty much fucked, right? I was on floor 19 and lost my blade a couple floors earlier and then I lost my pistol and rifle both on the same floor.

I love this game though, I think this plays even better than Dungeons of Dredmore.

slayn

Definitely don't let your weapons get destroyed. When they get into that 2-3 durability range, stop using them until you can repair them with at lest duct tape.

Punching on floor 8 with your weapons on low durability is better than punching on floor 10 with your weapons destroyed.

Do you have some of the recipes? Arkay and Blunderbuss can allow you to craft a weapon in a pinch.

Melee weapons are precious treasures. Usually by floor 19 I have found enough parts to make adamantium claws, which are awesome.

Nymerio

I had no choice in the matter. I lost the blade to a door that destroys a random item. The pistol I lost to acid and the Rifle had a mod on it that reduced it's durability to half and then I lost that too to some acid thing. And don't have any recipies because it was my first run ever.

Here's hoping I'll have better luck in the next run :)

Edit: A question: How do you guys manage your inventory. I was almost alwys completely filled up but couldn't get myself to throw away stuff. I always tried crafting random things at the crafting stations but the only thing I ever got where some bone lockpicks or something. I was also always low on food, never found a lot of stuff to eat, so by floor 19 I was constanly hungry and than starving. I guess I'll just need to find more crafting recipes?

I had no choice in the matter. I lost the blade to a door that destroys a random item. The pistol I lost to acid and the Rifle had a mod on it that reduced it's durability to half and then I lost that too to some acid thing. And don't have any recipies because it was my first run ever.

Here's hoping I'll have better luck in the next run :)

It does get a bit easier as you pick up the game. However, at its core, this is a game that really hates you, and hates your family, and even hates the people you went to school with.

Nymerio

Started my second run on easy and thought I'd conserve ammo and go knife only for as long as I can. I lost the knife on the third floor to a door trap that destroys a random item. I thought "fuck it" and started over, only this time I was going to try the game on normal. Again going with my knife tactic to conserve pistol and rifle ammo. On the seventh or so floor I even found a sword, which was really amazing. Lost the my knife to acids on the same floor though, but now I had a sword, so who cares? Got attacked by some random enemy with acids or something that promptly ate away my armor. Couldn't get rid of the acid stuff so it ate my sword as well. I was gonna rambo up and just kill everything with my pistol and rifle. Got to a room with three machine gun robots and they killed me in like 2 rounds :/

I think I'll go back to easy for now.

Another question though: How do you handle food? I alway get enough healing stuff but I'm almost always low on food. It seems really scarce and I only have like 2 recipies and I don't like experimenting with my food because it's so rare as it is. And I don't want to look up the recipes :/

slayn

Started my second run on easy and thought I'd conserve ammo and go knife only for as long as I can. I lost the knife on the third floor to a door trap that destroys a random item. I thought "fuck it" and started over, only this time I was going to try the game on normal. Again going with my knife tactic to conserve pistol and rifle ammo. On the seventh or so floor I even found a sword, which was really amazing. Lost the my knife to acids on the same floor though, but now I had a sword, so who cares? Got attacked by some random enemy with acids or something that promptly ate away my armor. Couldn't get rid of the acid stuff so it ate my sword as well. I was gonna rambo up and just kill everything with my pistol and rifle. Got to a room with three machine gun robots and they killed me in like 2 rounds :/

I think I'll go back to easy for now.

Another question though: How do you handle food? I alway get enough healing stuff but I'm almost always low on food. It seems really scarce and I only have like 2 recipies and I don't like experimenting with my food because it's so rare as it is. And I don't want to look up the recipes :/
There is one particular food recipe that is far more important than any other. So until you find it, you will have a rough time. The amount of ingredients to valid recipes is very low, such that experimenting will pretty much always fail.

There is a certain part of the dungeon in like the floor 15-20 range or so that has a ton of food so it can sometimes just be a desperate dive to get there for food.

Also, you can go way longer without food than you might think. You don't die until you get to like -100.

If you don't want to look up the recipes on a wiki, easy is good choice. The reason isn't just difficulty, but the fact that the computer consoles will only provide you with the first 50 messages in the game, and the first 50 messages deliberately contain the most improtant recipes for survival.

Nymerio

I'll go back to easy for sure and try to get my recipes up. Maybe I'll break down and just read up on the recipes anyway.

Amazing game btw :)

Nymerio

ffs, just started again on easy with the scout. Decided to look up some recipes anyway and as it turned out I already had the recipe for the Sotswitch. Died on floor 5 to a disease because I couldn't cure it. I already found an Auto-Rifle, some kind of blaster and another Rifle. FML.

Nikodemos

Got it in a bundle sale (will probably get the DLC as well).

Damn is this game hard, even on Easy. I've resorted to slowly moving one single step at a time due to the abundance of poison traps. Think I hit about five of them so far and I'm barely on Sub Floor 6. My biggest problem though is slowly running out of food.

Colby

Had a great run thwarted by disease. I failed three out of five med kits with 90% medical chance, and resting didn't help lower the disease level. Some things are a bit unfair, such as not getting food and my previous situation, but it's still a blast.

slayn

I never had too many problems with disease but I do tend to pump all my early game points into Might so that I don't have to worry about disease/poison and have more inventory space.

A psion who can get to the mid game is a beast of a character. Duplication has since been toned down but he still mitigates a lot of the randomness in the game by being completely self reliant for food and offense.

Personally I just used a wiki to get all the recipes. I don't get a lot of enjoyment knowing my run failed not really because I screwed up but because I hadn't yet been randomly handed the recipes for the ingredients I had picked up that run.

Nymerio

Yeah, I wanted to find the recipes my self at first but then I had some runs where I would have gotten a lot further if I just had some recipes. It gets a lot more enjoyable once you can craft stuff with all the items you find.

Anyway, I had my first successful run yesterday with a Scout on Easy:

PkDALU9l.jpg

The last floor is no joke. Good thing I had a whole arsenal of weapons with me. Auto Pistol, Mag Pistol, Auto Rifle, Mag Rifle, Blunderbus, Laser Carbine, Laser Rifle and Adamntium Claws. Still had to skip some of the rooms because almost all my weapons were starting to break down and I had nothing to repair anything.

Nikodemos

Regarding Disease, you should try and get Aggressive Antibiotics (Moldy Bread + Anti-Bodies) as quickly as possible. If playing Scout or Engineer (the latter, in particular) you should try to get your Might to at least 45 as quickly as possible (50 is better, but it robs you of a good amount of points, in the Engineer's case).

Far later edit: Can anyone tell me how many charges does an Energy Backpack carry? I've got two of the suckers but I'm running out of inventory space. I'd like to drop one off.

Purkake4

Banned
While I love the game, I kind of stopped paying attention to it for a while and now there's two new DLC avaliable for it adding 5 more classes, tons of new enemies, items and whatnot. Looks like a totally different game at this point. Steam also has a gold edition going now.

Nikodemos

Yes, at this point I suspect it's pretty much the game Kerberos would've made from the start had they managed to get the full funding in one go, rather than in drips.

Is is just me or does the Morrigi Striker feel like the most difficult class? It's slower than a human and needs more food; a lot more, given her lower speed.

Necro'ing this because since the last post, there have been a series of improvements to the game with patches and the DLCs and I strongly feel it is one of the best roguelikes on Steam in its current state. It's also probably one of the hardest games available on the service, so if you're like me and hate easy games and love to torture yourself, you can't afford to pass this one up.

It goes on sale constantly in bundles these days, so grab it if you see if and don't have it if roguelikes are your thing. I love me some TOME, don't get me wrong, but The Pit has that wonderful scarcity-driven play that TOME doesn't have.

Purkake4

Banned
Necro'ing this because since the last post, there have been a series of improvements to the game with patches and the DLCs and I strongly feel it is one of the best roguelikes on Steam in its current state. It's also probably one of the hardest games available on the service, so if you're like me and hate easy games and love to torture yourself, you can't afford to pass this one up.

It goes on sale constantly in bundles these days, so grab it if you see if and don't have it if roguelikes are your thing. I love me some TOME, don't get me wrong, but The Pit has that wonderful scarcity-driven play that TOME doesn't have.
I feel that it has potential, but the grind really gets to me at like floor 15ish. You're either doing pretty well or running out of stuff and pretty much dead.

I call it the Dungeons of Dreadmore syndrome.

Top Bottom