• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tappingo (3DS eShop) |OT| A different take on Picross... only $2.99!

zroid

Banned
iclMU5QJB7mfC.png

(most of the graphics and info were copied from the game's official website or the information page on Nintendo.com, both linked below)

Release Date: Feb 27, 2014 (NA); Mar 6, 2014 (EU)
Publisher: CIRCLE Ent.
Developer: Goodbye Galaxy Games
Genre: Puzzle
Platform: 3DS (eShop)
Price: $2.99 (US); $3.29 (CAN); 2,99€ (EU)

--------------------
HOW TO PLAY
--------------------
ibrQweyHwzmdw0.jpg

iUsL3yuibBRRd.jpg

-------------
REVIEWS
-------------
NintendoCharged: 9/10
MiniFortress: 9/10
PureNintendo: 8/10
NintendoLife: 7/10
(more to come)

---------------------
SCREENSHOTS
---------------------
jlFVBWJeL8b6V.jpg
jSJITFAjR71oU.jpg

jbn8fMJYl1lQsv.jpg
jtwZSnp15JUsx.jpg

--------
VIDEO
--------

Trailer #1

7 minutes gameplay

--------
LINKS
--------
Tappingo official website
Nintendo.com official page
Dev's twitter page

zroid

Banned
Just hacked this OT together in 10 minutes 'cause I've had my eye on the game for a while and it looks pretty fun and unique. Hopefully it'll get some more exposure.

It should be on the eShop now, but I'll purchase it later this evening.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This looks up my alley, especially being $3 & a decent looking pick-up & play puzzle game. Wouldn't mind hearing some impressions, though neat to see some positive early reviews.

Majestad

Banned
It was funny how in one of the trailers, the tag for this game was:

"gameboy had tetris.... ds had picross...... 3ds now has tapingo!"

Wiz

Never heard of this until just now. This sounds like a cool little puzzle game, I'll have to check it out!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ahh, what the heck, I'll give it a download for $3. Probably won't get too deep into it today (maybe tomorrow), but maybe get a quick first impression.

Awesome. I love all Picross and Picross-inspired games.

Now where the hell is my Picross 3D on 3DS?!?

Also, paging Phil Theobald!!!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What the heck, trying to connect to the eShop & it gives me an error about how "The connection to the server has timed out due to user inactivity".

Edit: There we go, 3rd attempt got through. Also, download size is 183 blocks, or just below 23MB.

Mmm, I love these sorts of puzzle games. Definitely on board for this.

What the heck, trying to connect to the eShop & it gives me an error about how "The connection to the server has timed out due to user inactivity".

I'm getting that too, although I did manage to connect after a few tries. I guess there's some problems with Nintendo's servers.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
$2.99 is not bad and I'm definitely interested in something lighter to play after Bravely Default. This looks good!

zroid

Banned
lol it's $3.29 in Canada

edit: just bought it but man the price discrepancies on the eShop are driving me bananas

AdanVC

I'm looking for simple yet addictive puzzle games to play on the fly. This seems the perfect game for that. I would give it a try for sure, looks fun.

RM8

Man, I'm drowning in 3DS games, I really should stop impulse-buying stuff on the eShop. I need to finish Bugs vs Tanks, 3D Classic TwinBee and Liberation Maiden first
Lolno, buying later today.

thomaser

Will buy the second it's out in Europe. I love puzzle-games like that: super-simple concept with the potential to get really tough.

Elija2

Sounds pretty cool. Although I always find it weird when games like this have a time attack mode. Once you find out the solution to the puzzle you can retry it and finish it in seconds, so what's the point?

lol it's $3.29 in Canada

Booo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
5 puzzles in & I think this is off to a good start. It would have been nice to have the name of the object I finished making (some of them are hard to tell), but I can see this turning out to be really fun to figure out later on. The touch screen works decent enough, though part of me is wanting to stick with the circle pad/A button combo, which is nice that the option is there for different control schemes.

It's a simple concept that I'm sure will get harder as it goes on. I'd say it's worth the low price if you're interested in this & enjoy puzzle games.

Edit: Okay, I notice there's no redo or rewind option, which really would come in handy since it can be hard to figure out what squares filled in which spaces.

zroid

Banned
Edit: Okay, I notice there's no redo or rewind option, which really would come in handy since it can be hard to figure out what squares filled in which spaces.

Yeah I made a mistake on puzzle 5 and it was already getting a bit too zany at that point to backtrack. I just restarted.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah I made a mistake on puzzle 5 and it was already getting a bit too zany at that point to backtrack. I just restarted.
Yeah, when you make a mistake, one of the other blocks will automatically continue to fill the empty space, which then can make the board even more screwed up & confusing as to what it was you were trying to correct/try out. It doesn't help that you have no idea as to which "OK" square filled in which section of the picture. A simple redo button would have easily fixed this. I have a feeling on the harder stages, this is going to become a frustrating thing since it means having to redo a bunch of squares at once.

zroid

Banned
One thing I really like so far is that you can use colour to help determine in which direction to extend certain lines. I ran into one situation on a certain puzzle where I didn't know which of two directions to send a 1 block line, but based on the picture and the colour of the line, it was obvious.

I have a feeling on the harder stages, this is going to become a frustrating thing since it means having to redo a bunch of squares at once.

it's the sudoku effect, lol

zroid

Banned
Finished the first 20 puzzles. Not a ton to add, just that it's a lot of fun. Nothing too devious yet, but the game provides plenty of opportunities for you to screw up so you need to be vigilant while extending those lines.

rjc571

Banned
I think the touch screen on my 3DS is fucked. Almost every time I touch a block, the game thinks I'm touching one of the adjacent blocks instead. Recalibrating doesn't seem to help. Oh well, at least you can play it with buttons.

I will be buying it once I get home. How are the other games (DSiware) from this company?
The mechanics sound ingenious, how have I never heard of this developer before?
Strange and unique would be a good way to describe Goodbye Galaxy Games, AKA Hugo Smits. Each of their (his!) games are worth playing:

Flipper - This was more notable for the voxel tech than the gameplay itself but it's a charming little puzzle game where you have to navigate and destroy isometric environments to rescue your pet goldfish. Kind of rough but worth a look, was the game that put Hugo on the map.

Flipper 2 - This plays nothing like the first and is most closely a WarioWare-alike where you play as the titular (rescued) goldfish. Simple but fun.

Ace Mathician - Solve puzzles with math; literally. This is somewhat of a teaching tool, though it never really lives up to its promise as you can fumble your way through pretty easy. Had to be forgiving or else risk alienating too many gamers. Again, though, totally worth a look.

Color Commando - I haven't put as much time into CC as I have the others but it's essentially a puzzle-platformer with a paint-based mechanic. You collect different colors of paint then drop globs of it on similarly-colored monsters who are then absorbed. Think of a sentient raindrop hitting a puddle. Once their engulfed they can do strange things like pass through walls (if the paint and wall overlap), etc.

All of his games are cheap, and all of his games are interesting at the very least.

(most of the graphics and info were copied from the game's official website or the information page on Nintendo.com, both linked below)
There's an error in step of of the "tutorial" images, which has since been corrected on the GGG official site. (blue line needs to be extended 2 spaces, not 1)

Chunky

It was funny how in one of the trailers, the tag for this game was:

"gameboy had tetris.... ds had picross...... 3ds now has tapingo!"
I appreciate their hutzpah, but I believe that sentence should read,
"Gameboy had Tetris ... DS had Picross ... 3ds has Pullblox"

creid

This looks like fun but I have a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Picross addiction so it may not be safe to buy
I'll probably buy it within the day

rjc571

Banned
I've completed the first 52 puzzles. The game definitely scratches that Picross itch. Like Picross, it's pretty easy to figure out the strategies you need to use to solve the puzzles, but applying those strategies can still get pretty complicated as you're often forced to think several moves ahead. The music is hokey and yet oddly soothing at the same time. I just wish the presentation wasn't so barebones -- they could have at least put labels on the pictures after you solve them, because sometimes I can't even tell what the picture is supposed to be!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So finished 50 puzzles. My earlier statement stands that this is a rather fun puzzle game that feels like the perfect difficulty. I would sometimes get something wrong/expanded blocks in the wrong direction, but it hasn't felt frustrating. While I still wish for a redo/rewind button & (a very minor nitpick) the name of the object that I just finished making, it's still highly recommended, especially for the price.

Though any puzzle that uses the color purple was rather annoying because it was hard to tell the difference between empty spaces & purple squares.

Top Bottom