• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taxi Driver Made C64 Game in 80's, Writes Own Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palpable

I've known this taxi driver in Las Vegas for a couple of years now. His name is Marvin D. "Energy" (energy was added by my co-worker & I. You'll see why soon). He's quite... unique to say the least.

Anyway, he's quite book smart. He used to be a computer programmer in the 80's and he was creating a video game which never came to fruition because of, "greedy investors", according to him.

A couple news stations did a bit on him & his game, Vaudeville, for the Commodore 64. Back in '85 he looks like Jamie Foxx in Amazing Spiderman 2 before he turned into Electro.

Action News bit

News Magazine Video Interview

The game never saw the light of day, despite what that 2nd interview seemed to have claimed.

Not only can he code Commodore 64 games, but he sings & songwrites. My favorite of all is easily "Energy", which reminds me a whole lot of Gale Boetticher from Breaking Bad & his music video.

Energy - Video recorded in '89.

I don't know why, but when I hear Energy, I imagine that song/video playing at his funeral with everyone surrounding his casket crying & remembering the good ol' days. /randomthought

The story behind "Energy" was that his college campus had a green screen set up outside & were looking for volunteers to use it. He went to his apartment and got his recording of his song Energy to make a music video.

More music videos can be found on his youtube page.

For those curious, he's currently 59 years old.

Cade

A couple news stations did a bit on him & his game, Vaudeville, for the Commodore 64. Back in '85 he looks like Jamie Foxx in Amazing Spiderman 2 before he turned into Electro.

haha I was like man he's not gonna really look like that when i watch the video

and then i was so pleasantly surprised

Palpable

haha I was like man he's not gonna really look like that when i watch the video

and then i was so pleasantly surprised

Haha everyone I know that also knows him saw that movie and immediately made that connection once JF went on screen.

gundalf

So what he thinks of todays Games? Specially mobile games that are in scope similar to C64 Games but make a ton of money.

benzy

Did he have a hard time finding a job as a programmer or did he just want to drive cabs all of a sudden?

Palpable

Did he have a hard time finding a job as a programmer or did he just want to drive cabs all of a sudden?

My coworkers and I ask him all the time. He's been a cabbie for 7 years now. Before that he worked at the warehouse at Bellagio. I seriously don't understand why he doesn't get a job within his degree field. He strikes me as a get rich quick guy (finds methods to roulette, etc).

forms

his game didn't make it but we got shit like alice and forbidden forest?

jeez!

ABKKVLt.gif

DC R1D3R

Banned
My coworkers and I ask him all the time. He's been a cabbie for 7 years now. Before that he worked at the warehouse at Bellagio. I seriously don't understand why he doesn't get a job within his degree field. He strikes me as a get rich quick guy (finds methods to roulette, etc).

guy is a genius!

>3

terrisus

I hate to spoil the fun, but...

Plenty of people made C64 games back in the 1980s.
And, tons of people write music.

Given there are many cab drivers, it should come as no surprise there's an intersection of those three circles.

Yeah, it was funny talking about how he made the game all by himself in that first video when most games on that platform and the Atari era were done by one person, maybe two.

If you talked to him, you'd realize there's something very off about him. At the same time, he's a genius when it comes to science & math. Weird, man.

I got that just from the videos.

DC R1D3R

Banned
I hate to spoil the fun, but...

Plenty of people made C64 games back in the 1980s.
And, tons of people write music.

Given there are many cab drivers, it should come as no surprise there's an intersection of those three circles.

hey!

the guy's a genius and that's that.

U spoiler

neoflcl

Any way we'd ever be able to try out the game? It'd be cool if it were dumped, or heck, if we could still buy physical copies!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Your scale is a little off there, bro. A couple hundred thousand people drive cabs in the US alone. Somehow I don't think C64 game development was nearly that big.

terrisus

Your scale is a little off there, bro. A couple hundred thousand people drive cabs in the US alone. Somehow I don't think C64 game development was nearly that big.

That was just a quick toss-together.
Feel free to edit as you see fit.

neoflcl

I asked. He said he no longer has copies of the game. I'm surprised. I'd have thought he'd keep the code safe somewhere considering how long he worked on it.

What a shame! That's what I had figured, too. Still a very interesting story, I'd have so many questions for him.

Palpable

What a shame! That's what I had figured, too. Still a very interesting story, I'd have so many questions for him.

Feel free to post those questions on his youtube page/vids. He checks. I told him about the interest some members here had and he got quite excited. He was also happy to see the views on his videos go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom