• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech-heads: Is this a good external harddrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a well-known product from a mainstream brand, and it's probably fine. Seagate is sometimes considered to be better than Western Digital, but I'm not sure how much evidence there really is for that.

Sean

Banned
I've had two Western Digital drives die on me. Maybe I'm just unlucky though.

I think Seagate is the most reliable brand.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Beezy said:
This isn't the brand that's known to **** up a lot, is it?

It is a brand I trust. WD and Seagate are both the top of the class for HDDs, and thats a very good price. Stats wise its also a solid piece of equipment. Obviously, you'll want to still keep physical media(CD) copies of anything of vital importance, but you should have no problems with it.

The 15 dollar warranty is also not a bad idea, but I'm partial to warranties.

I've never had a WD Drive itself die on me, although the USB enclosure for one of the pocket drives messed up due to a screw up on my part.

I've got nothing but love for my Western Digital HDD's. Used to have alot of succes with Maxtor in the past, but their quality went to sh!t the last 10 years or so.

MaddenNFL64

Anyone here get the Lacie Porsche 500gig drive? It's just so cheap right now, I had to get one.

BTW, I got mine for $118 at Amazon. I bought it from Tech Depot (A subsidiary of Office Depot).

MaddenNFL64 said:
Anyone here get the Lacie Porsche 500gig drive? It's just so cheap right now, I had to get one.

I bought one a few days ago. Looks nice, and still works so far :)

But I dunno about the WD one. It's just something about the product that makes me feel uncomfortable. I can't put my finger on it though.
EC.WDC.WDG1U5000N.JPG

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yes it works great and is cheap so buy it and be happy. I have a 250gb right now and gonna buy a 500gb soon.

Lo-Volt

Tyrannical said:
I bought one a few days ago. Looks nice, and still works so far :)

But I dunno about the WD one. It's just something about the product that makes me feel uncomfortable. I can't put my finger on it though.
EC.WDC.WDG1U5000N.JPG

From what I understand, the light ring does not turn red.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Dell has it roughly $10 cheaper, unless you plan on picking it up immediately at a brick and mortar CC...

Lo-Volt said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

I have an 80gb WD external that's been going good for over 3 years now. I didn't even realize 500GB drives were so cheap. Maybe I'll bite.

6730r2b.jpg

bionic77

MaddenNFL64 said:
I bought two 250 gig Lacie drives in the past. One firewire for the mac and one that is usb that I use on the PC. They are both still working great after one year. The one I use for the Mac gets more work as I use it to edit home videos.

I noticed that my usb drive gets a little hot if left on for too long though. Mine never died, but it concerns me sometimes. The firewire drive usually never gets hot.

And can someone tell me why firewire drives are so much more expensive than usb?

MaddenNFL64

bionic77 said:
I bought two 250 gig Lacie drives in the past. One firewire for the mac and one that is usb that I use on the PC. They are both still working great after one year. The one I use for the Mac gets more work as I use it to edit home videos.

I noticed that my usb drive gets a little hot if left on for too long though. Mine never died, but it concerns me sometimes. The firewire drive usually never gets hot.

And can someone tell me why firewire drives are so much more expensive than usb?

They must have known it was an issue since the 500gig I bought comes with a built in fan for cooling purposes. It's USB 2.0 as well.

Beezy

Killthee said:
I managed to find the drive for a couple of bucks cheaper at Newegg.
Thanks. :D

Killthee said:
If you wanna pay even less I'm sure you can buy a cheap external HDD usb enclosure and a 3.5" internal HDD.
That sounds too complicated for me. I don't know much about PC hardware.

MaddenNFL64 said:

BTW, I got mine for $118 at Amazon. I bought it from Tech Depot (A subsidiary of Office Depot).
Link please? What's the regular price?

Lo-Volt said:
:lol

mollipen

I have the "pro" 500GB model of this drive (the one with USB2/FireWire400/FireWire800), and I love it. Quick to wake when accessed, quiet, and looks great. Picked it up a couple months ago, and now I'm thinking about getting a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom