• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 5 Still PS2 Exclusive

xexex

Banned
there was some confusion in the other Tekken 5 thread and to me it was not really clear where GCN and Xbox versions of Tekken 5 stood.

so here :(

http://www.gamedaily.com/playstatio...d=7978&game_id=2773&source=00001&section=news

Tekken 5 Still PS2 Exclusive
By Bryan Dawson

Earlier today, several sites reported that Japanese publication Famitsu featured an article claiming Tekken 5 was headed to the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and GameCube in 2005. Namco's number one fighting game has been in development for some time, and Namco Japan has confirmed in the past that it would only be arriving on the PlayStation 2.

We checked with Namco Hometek and have discovered that Namco currently has no plans to release Tekken 5 on multiple platforms. While this could change at some point in the future, it's safe to say that the recent reports of Famitsu indicating the Xbox and GCN versions are in the works are false.

Tekken 5 is already available in Japanese and Korean arcades, with a scheduled US arcade release later this month. The latest installment in the popular arcade fighting game series includes PS2 controller ports and fully customizable characters. We'll have more information on Tekken 5 for PlayStation 2 on Friday.

cvxfreak

That's too bad. I hope Namco considers GC and Xbox versions in the future. SCII pwned Tekken 4 sales because of the multiplatform factor.

I think this series kinda ran out of juice after Tekken Tag Tournament.

That tends to happen in most franchises after the 3rd or 4th iteration though.

WarPig

belgurdo said:
Namco US hates money

I would say "Namco Japan hates going out of its way to make money for Namco Hometek." Or something like that. I mean, Xbox and Cube versions wouldn't sell for shit in Japan.

DFS.

Sullichin

I would love a multiconsole release; I'm definitley getting Tekken 5, but I would enjoy the luxury of a better controller (Xbox) than that piece-of-shit DualShock 2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
well, there's the error in this story... it's not the first time the us subsidiary had no clue what was happening in japan... and it won't be the last...
The thing is - the original rumor was simply wrong. The actual famitsu scanned page clearly shows the game is PS2 only.

WarPig said:
I would say "Namco Japan hates going out of its way to make money for Namco Hometek." Or something like that. I mean, Xbox and Cube versions wouldn't sell for shit in Japan.

DFS.

Maybe if they put Link in it? ;)

Namco is smart for making T5 ps2 exclusive because they would actually lose money if they port the game to xbox and gamecube. The money they get from xbox and Gamecube sales will not even equal half the amount required to port the games in the first place. Xbox and Gamecube owners have no taste in fighting games so they will not buy T5. PS2 owners, however, have excellent taste in fighting games.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
gondee015B15D.gif

belgurdo said:
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance and DBZ Budokai=multi-million sellers

Those sales are from people who own multiple consoles. Sometimes Xbox and Gamecube owners can't get enough of their crappy games so they get a PS2 and some more crappy games.

True PS2 owners only buy great PS2 games like T5.

Those sales are from people who own multiple consoles. Sometimes Xbox and Gamecube owners can't get enough of their crappy games so they get a PS2 and some more crappy games.

Wait, I thought those crappy games were available on the Gamecube too? :/

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Tea Master said:
Namco is smart for making T5 ps2 exclusive because they would actually lose money if they port the game to xbox and gamecube. The money they get from xbox and Gamecube sales will not even equal half the amount required to port the games in the first place. Xbox and Gamecube owners have no taste in fighting games so they will not buy T5. PS2 owners, however, have excellent taste in fighting games.

Just out of curiosity.

Will the owner of this joke character please step forward? You will not be punished.

hirokazu

ToyMachine228 said:
Famitsu usually isn't wrong

i think what they were trying to say is that Famitsu never reported it was coming to GC/Xbox in the first place, some people decided it would be fun to make shit up, rather than saying Famitsu reported false news.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
CVXFREAK said:
That's too bad. I hope Namco considers GC and Xbox versions in the future. SCII pwned Tekken 4 sales because of the multiplatform factor.

Did it, really? Do you have any numbers on that? Not that I don't believe SCII sold more, but I can't remember it outselling Tekken 4 by a wide margin (ie "pwning"), especially not considering it was made for three consoles instead of just one.

Also, Tekken 4 wasn't very good in the first place, meaning there were probably other factors leading to SCII selling more than just being multiplatform...

Top Bottom