• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

mxZzTnt.gif

zdnsbR5.gif

GrayFoxPL

Honestly T7 is the proper evolution. That's how you change a game enough without taking away its essence. Could things be better? Yes. Can it be more aesthetically different? Yes. But for the most part its an evolution of the game. Enough to be noticeable but the same game we loved to play...for the most part.

Oh and T7 is actually really fun to watch. Well at least American play is which is odd.

Edit: You know what Korean play is just really boring.

hUN44OY.gif

I'll never agree unless it'll, you know, actually evolve. I view T7 as a mod at best.

It's sad when a spin off game(tag2) did more to evolve characters gameplay then a numbered sequel.

GrayFoxPL

Would welcome more change too.
Hope the final product has enough legs.
Tag 2 had all the legs but the people couldn't keep up lol

Here's yo T7 in T6. Looks more fun then actual one.

I'm really glad that I still see many ppl play Tag2. I hope it'll not end soon.

I feel like I'm just starting to get a grip with it. Depth of this game is insane. Every day I find or see some new shit.

Harada's true swan song.

Numb

Here's yo T7 in T6. Looks more fun then actual one.

I'm really glad that I still see many ppl play Tag2. I hope it'll not end soon.

I feel like I'm just starting to get a grip with it. Depth of this game is insane. Every day I find or see some new shit.

Harada's true swan song.

Good lord. Didn't see that coming at all. Don't wanna judge too much with Tekken 7 before we get the build menat for us in the future.
Tag 2 is ofcourse the coolest.

Manbig

I'm with you there for the most part. High level Tekken play in general has never been much fun to watch for me unless there's some story behind it (Inkog almost taking down JDCR), or if certain characters are involved (Bryan), but that's not exclusive to Korea. They have just been playing the past entries the "correct" way.

Numb

I'm with you there for the most part. High level Tekken play in general has never been much fun to watch for me unless there's some story behind it (Inkog almost taking down JDCR), or if certain characters are involved (Bryan), but that's not exclusive to Korea. They have just been playing the past entries the "correct" way.

Watching teams i never see is fun.
So much new stuff to learn. Korea i find boring since seeing too many of their vids but any other region is hyper to watch for me.

I'll never agree unless it'll, you know, actually evolve. I view T7 as a mod at best.

It's sad when a spin off game(tag2) did more to evolve characters gameplay then a numbered sequel.

I mean you act like Spin off Fighting Games haven't always done that? KOF......TTT1.....

And how did TTT2 specifically do that? Hell they Ruined Baek to the point where I don't want him in a game again so I'm already eh on the character changes in TTT2. And really the only changes came because its a Tag game.

Yeah well movement being as it has been for for the last 4 games sans 4. That tends to happen. They are the ones who pretty much found the correct way to play waaay back in TTT1.

GrayFoxPL

Good lord. Didn't see that coming at all. Don't wanna judge too much with Tekken 7 before we get the build menat for us in the future.
Tag 2 is ofcourse the coolest.

I find it funny they just as easy implemented the "new" spike flop just from T6 assets.

VeomkMP.gif

cqMbo09.gif

And how pretty that DJ's b+2,3 came out for them by just merging animations.

joeblow

Do you think that this is something along the lines of people exploiting in the system, or an intentional game mechanic that people are just now starting to capitalize on?

I'm not sure. It isn't game breaking because the damage for the final hit is still not 100% damage. My guess is it is more like 60% when a normal attack in a juggle after 5-6 hits might be only 20% (all guess on my part).

The damage of that hit is similar to the strong-yet-still reduced damage you get when you finish your wall combo with a final hit JUST before they reach the ground (this is in TTT2 also). I don't know if you understand what I mean, but that's what I'd compare the damage to.

No, I'm not. I very clearly stated that it only gives you the option for better wall carry options, at least when necessary, but you did bring up a good point in regards to the unique spike moves that you can connect out of it now.

Of course, you won't be doing much of that if you do several hits before the actual tailspin. You actually become quite limited in those situations since you have to do a much deeper dash before going for your ender. In that case, your best options become WR moves or moves that come out fluidly from a running state.

Either way, while it gives you overall improvemed low parry options, I still feel like you are heavily overstating the value. As it is now, you get maybe an extra 1,2 jab's worth of wall carry out of it, or those sometimes unique spike options. Damage wise, it isn't really giving you anything. It's a small buff and still an absolute farcry from what low parries used to be. Not much more of a deterrent than it was during BR/Tag 2.

You are making my point - the T7 version of low parrying gives us more options, which of course vary from character to character in what you can do. In TTT2, the variety of options is simply not there. You pretty much go for max damage, and if you reach a wall then great, but even then you still can't B! once you're there.

In T7 you can go for max damage after a low parry, which may have limited wall carry as described above with the TS! spikes, or you may go for wall carry after a Tail Spin, or you may do a custom followup so you can Tail Spin right before you reach the wall (as you guys know, TS! doesn't work once the opponent hits the wall), or you might do a TS! well before a wall a attack with some advancing power mid like running 3s that you mention to slam them into the wall, or you may use the TS! in open ground for some tech roll setup like jumping over them (Law, Lili, Ling BT attacks, etc.) or to try to connect an unblockable, etc.

This is another subtle, offensive improvement that isn't flashy like adding new features with snazzy special effects, but combined with all the other changes here and there, it adds to the enjoyment of the game IMHO.

GrayFoxPL

I mean you act like Spin off Fighting Games haven't always done that? KOF......TTT1.....

And how did TTT2 specifically do that? Hell they Ruined Baek to the point where I don't want him in a game again so I'm already eh on the character changes in TTT2. And really the only changes came because its a Tag game.

Lol. Lee's fff+3,4 actually made ppl fear his approach. Paul got insane buff with new qcb+4 with +frames and high crush launcher qcb+1+2, Jin actually got good move/soul stance transitions leading to whole new set of combos, that buffed him to a proper mishima level. Steve got a brand new stance with new set of moves. Hei got way reworked I don't have to point that out.
Should I continue? And no, those changes didn't come because of game being Tag, those were proper character evolutions.

And you're crying about Baek, lol. I still love to play him.

joeblow

I find it funny they just as easy implemented the "new" spike flop just from T6 assets.

VeomkMP.gif

cqMbo09.gif

And how pretty that DJ's b+2,3 came out for them by just merging animations.

There are two types of spikes in T7. The victim's animation in your clips shows the second spike, which I wasn't referring to in my last two posts. The ground orientation in your clips has the opponent in SLD position for oki (Face Down, Feet Away). When that happens to you in T7, you have a new option to tech by holding backwards so that you immediately slide to your feet, allowing you to guard against anything even though you are in a block stun of at least -18 to -20 before you can input any move except mid or low blocking.

If you do not tech these spikes, the attacker gets free hits. For instance, Lucky Chloe gets a guaranteed fast rising uppercut that hits grounded. After the first one, she can do that move over and over until you tech left or right because the uppercut just flips you right back to SLD position. I think Kazumi has something like this too, but I don't remember the setup. Against the wall it is pretty crazy to be stuck in the middle of this kind of mixup.

The other spike is what I was referring to, where in a juggle you fall down in the normal KND position, but can't tech any direction in time to evade or block an incoming followup.

Lol. Lee's fff+3,4 actually made ppl fear his approach. Paul got insane buff with new qcb+4 with +frames and high crush launcher qcb+1+2, Jin actually got good move/soul stance transitions leading to whole new set of combos, that buffed him to a proper mishima level. Steve got a brand new stance with new set of moves. Hei got way reworked I don't have to point that out.
Should I continue? And no, those changes didn't come because of game being Tag, those were proper character evolutions.

And you're crying about Baek, lol. I still love to play him.

And my thing is those changes always happen almost every game. Hell Hwoarang almost always changes(as seen in T7). Yoshi from 5 is definitely different from 6. Sometimes other characters barely change or have changes that fuck with them just enough that make them not as fun(cough Baek cough).

Baek just sucks in this game. For one he works better imo in a 1v1 game. Two they made his FLA transitions mostly useless. Getting jabbed out of FLA transitions is stupid. They took out his Super FLA for a low parry that is pretty much useless if you're reading a low. And some other T6 stuff they took out for no reason.

AAK

Not like this didn't happen with Tekken 6 too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Zn6fcb-kw

At least the actual bound animation was something unique rather than a straight up animation rip of devil jin's ws+2 hit animation asset. Tekken 6 also took the care to make a unique bound animation that made sense from a physical rigid body perspective depending on the orientation of the opponent while they're airborne. Tekken 7 just keeps the same tail-spin animation regardless of the orientation that pretty much is an effort no different from what those modders did. Not just that, Tekken 6 had a completely different wall combo slump system. The gravity potential of hits during combo's in Tekken 6 was also widely different from DR. Tekken 6 introduced wall and floor breaks.

But you know what, overall the same complaints I present are also very valid for Tekken 6. Strictly gameplay speaking, it was an uber balance patch where things like movement, combo's, etc. were buffed/nerfed in a certain way. Which makes things all the more tragic seeing them do the same thing over again with Tekken 7.

However I still give Tekken 6 a free pass for two reasons:

First: the presentation. Although the default outfits were overall recycled from the previous game, the plentiful, character specific customization system was robust while keeping the troll accessories littered everywhere in Tag2/T7 extremely limited. T6 vanilla also had 13 stages while T7 only has 8. And of coarse, like I mentioned in the first paragraph of this post, the combo's did not look butt ugly when the opponent is not FUFT position while airborne.

Second: so many of the cast got new tools letting people adapt to the new game. Off the top of my head Bruce/Yoshi were given a complete reworking. Law and Nina had new neutral stances and so many of their legacy moves redone. Steve got Peak-a-Boo. Julia lost so much of her cheap crap from T5DR, getting new stuff in T6 that ended up making her as cheap but in a much more different way that required re-learning. That's just off the top of my head. How many characters in Tekken 7 got an analagous new toolset coming from their Tekken 6 movelist base? The only one I can think of is Josie. The next biggest change would probably be Hwoarang with some of Baek's tools in LFS... and then maybe Lars with him losing d/f+2? Looking at things that way Tekken 7 is an even shallower evolution from T6 compared to T6 going to T5DR.

GrayFoxPL

And my thing is those changes always happen almost every game. Hell Hwoarang almost always changes(as seen in T7). Yoshi from 5 is definitely different from 6. Sometimes other characters barely change or have changes that fuck with them just enough that make them not as fun(cough Baek cough).

Baek just sucks in this game. For one he works better imo in a 1v1 game. Two they made his FLA transitions mostly useless. Getting jabbed out of FLA transitions is stupid. They took out his Super FLA for a low parry that is pretty much useless if you're reading a low. And some other T6 stuff they took out for no reason.

You can still low crush down jabs for full launch, parry high jabs or db+4 or spam b+1 which seems even more retarded in this game. Can't super fla ss but even I'll admit that was too crazy. His string frames are shit and they broke his old oki, but I play him little differently in this game and I still like it. The ff+4,3 raw damage, fla f+3 +frames, fla 3,3~f cancel and safer skyrocket is some good shit I like. Baek is still fun.

joeblow

Following up on my last post, go to the :20 of this video to see this T7 Lili juggle. It ends with a KND spike that allows for one more a free hit for damage that isn't drastically gutted by the combo scaling rules. Compare the damage of her last kick to the damage of the spike attack itself.

Manbig

You are making my point - the T7 version of low parrying gives us more options, which of course vary from character to character in what you can do. In TTT2, the variety of options is simply not there. You pretty much go for max damage, and if you reach a wall then great, but even then you still can't B! once you're there.

Not exactly.

The reason I brought any of it up in the first place is because you were citing these changes as being some sort of major deterrent for toe kicks from knockdown. I'm saying that the changes aren't enough to really be that. You use low get up options the same way that you always did, and you fight against low get up options the same way that you always did. I don't see the improvements to low parry options really affecting that decision making at all with the current mechanics.

You can still low crush down jabs for full launch, parry high jabs or db+4 or spam b+1 which seems even more retarded in this game. Can't super fla ss but even I'll admit that was too crazy. His string frames are shit and they broke his old oki, but I play him little differently in this game and I still like it. The ff+4,3 raw damage, fla f+3 +frames, fla 3,3~f cancel and safer skyrocket is some good shit I like. Baek is still fun.

He's fun but he's not as fun. Its the same reason I started losing interest in Sieg in SCV. They are fun characters but the higher you go the more irritating it gets. I did not have this problem with Baek in T6. He felt like a complete character. I didn't have to rely on conditioning my opponent so much until TTT2. There are so many moments (final round 2013 really made this clear) where I can clearly see I have NO way out because I have to account for so much with Baek and I'm stuck doing whatever I'm doing. I'm like Mike Ross with Reads at times lol but to have to make read after read after read is tiring.

I mean I like FLA SSing Tag Crashes for a BT Combo but after that wears off the thousanth time you sit there looking at a really incomplete character that was fine in the previous version of the game.

Sayah

Oh and T7 is actually really fun to watch. Well at least American play is which is odd.

That is a correct observation. Korean play has been extremely boring with Tekken 7, but American play has been very fun to watch.

Odd how those roles switched post-Tekken 6/TTT2.

Dereck

Someone email all of the best Bob players, what the fuck is this?

3 year old game, never seen this shit ever. CH df 2, 4? 4??!?

Qr826QX.gif

Numb

Nice. Still alot to discover in this game even long from now.
CKT boyz got a nice shirt and say ''we'' and ''we got em/this'' alot. Hilarious.

Someone email all of the best Bob players, what the fuck is this?

3 year old game, never seen this shit ever. CH df 2, 4? 4??!?

You don't do that one?!?!? That combo with the 4 instead of the d/b+2 is more consistent. I've seen a few Japanese players go for it usually. (Shana comes to mind right now.)

Winners finals is now up btw.

Oh and I'm surprised how well Peru did in matches before/after the tournament. Only Practice and some of the Japanese players fell behind both Nene and Abel in long sets for money. Shame Abel didn't end up winning the tournament, I wanted to see facebook explode with VAMOS ABEL & PERU PERU PERU haha.

Dereck

I'm slipping man. No one in America does that, and I haven't watched Korean/Japanese Tag matches in about a year or so.

Didn't Only Practice not use Nina because of his stick?

sasuke_91

Tekken 7 could use a huge roster deduction.
Give me more unique characters.
Lucky Chloe is said to be rhythm-based, but to me she looks like a breakdancing Eddy.
Shaheen is Lee and Miguel.
Gigas is Marduk.
Kazumi is a Mishima with a pet she doesn't even really use.
Josie is Bruce.
Claudio is a Quincy.
Katarina looks okay. I'd have to play her to really judge.
I'd have to play everyone to really be able to judge.

You don't have to bring back every single character, but at least make the new ones so interesting that I want to play them instead of old ones.

Dereck

Give me more unique characters.
Lucky Chloe is said to be rhythm-based, but to me she looks like a breakdancing Eddy.
Shaheen is Lee and Miguel.
Gigas is Marduk.
Kazumi is a Mishima with a pet she doesn't even really use.
Josie is Bruce.
Claudio is a Quincy.
Katarina looks okay. I'd have to play her to really judge.
I'd have to play everyone to really be able to judge.

You don't have to bring back every single character, but at least make the new ones so interesting that I want to play them instead of old ones.
Here's what I was thinkin'

VpXx6yk.gif

jvvZTTO.png

Anyone know when tournament season will be over /on a break? The wait for new character announcements has become exceedingly excruciating.

Namco aren't telling us anything with a long radio silence. :(

I guess everyone is assuming the tournament season ends with the King Of Iron Fist 2015 GFs on December 12th so you'll have to wait until then. Then there's Final Round early next year....

GrayFoxPL

I'm really curious what next batch of characters will be. Probably someone "safe" like Nina, Lee, Miguel/Bob.

It's clear they are keeping away from any low stance characters. Most likely because of lack of refloats those characters were susceptible on. With new system those stances could be too safe and hard to punish. Of course they could tweak the system and add few floats here and there.

I mean fuck Chreddy, obnoxious characters, no one will miss them. :p But Jackie Chan missing in action? My Snake in The Eagle's Shadow fix gone? That's bullcrap.

There's also option to take out low stances entirely but give character's like Lei, Zafina new stances, moves and tools in exchange.

But let's be realistic here. Looking how T7 is made what is the easiest way out for them? Option above or erasing those characters from existence?

Kinda obvious but I wish they prove me wrong. I'd eat that crow with pleasure.

Also Raven pls.

Namco aren't telling us anything with a long radio silence. :(

I guess everyone is assuming the tournament season ends with the King Of Iron Fist 2015 GFs on December 12th so you'll have to wait until then. Then there's Final Round early next year....

Oh boy...
And i thought Tekken 6 AC to console wait was bad. With 7 it looks more and more like Namco is gonna one-up themselves in that regard.
:-(

GrayFoxPL

Oh boy...
And i thought Tekken 6 AC to console wait was bad. With 7 it looks more and more like Namco is gonna one-up themselves in that regard.
:-(

But there's a pattern. T6 original was not ported, T6:BR was. Tag2 wasn't ported, Tag2 Unlimited was.

Tekken 7 wont be ported but Tekken 7: XX will?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom