• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayFoxPL

Man T4's art style was something else...

latest

That shirt he's wearing is SO SICK. The church priest outfit wasn't bad either..

But regardless, Mature Tekken >>>>>> Animu Kawaii Tekken

King had awesome redesign.

Love those pastel colors and black flowing hair.

1eSLbjI.gif

UkToQk1.gif

Haha! Watch your head!

AAK

Wikipedia list of best selling ps2 games has Tekken 5 at 6 million. Dunno how accurate that is.

Yeah, you're right, Wikipedia had this interview with Harada as a resource:

http://www.vandal.net/reportaje/tekken-6

And it says 6 million where Europe composed of 4 of the 6 million. Even then, Tekken 5 was another era where Tekken's art was far more mature than what it is now. I still remember its reveal. Raven and Feng both already looked iconic and Asuka was revealed as an actual fighter with most of the fan service restrained back... before they unlocked all restraints for every female except Leo.

EDIT:

Woah holy crap dude... boutdown and I were having a conversation a while back on how I wished 3D fighters like Tekken could have grabs that would end up with dynamic animations when interacting with animations. I gave the example of the Giant Swing grab doing a unique head smash animation if it was done with a wall closeby. We both thought it would never happen but lo and behold... Tekken 4 already implemented it in some rudimentary way. The game was truly ahead of its time. :'(

Sayah

All this Tekken 4 nostalgia pouring in. ;_;

It just had a really good, mature vibe that I don't think any Tekken game before or after Tekken 4 has ever managed to create (maybe Tekken 2?).

The art style, stages, character designs, music, and story.........it all felt very fresh coming off of Tekken 3/Tekken Tag 1. Not to mention the graphics were a huuuuuuuge jump.

Now, more than ever, people are craving a Tekken 4 styled installment.

MikeMyers

Yeah Tekken 5 is still ahead then. Though it could be pointed that Tekken 5 was on PS2 which had 155 million install base. MKX is on PS4 and Xbone which are around 30 to 40 million combined I think?

AAK

Yeah Tekken 5 is still ahead then. Though it could be pointed that Tekken 5 was on PS2 which had 155 million install base. MKX is on PS4 and Xbone which are around 30 to 40 million combined I think?

In 2005 PS2's sales were closer to 30-40 million as well I believe. But the 6 million total figures for T5 is the lifetime sales of the game. I think it's easy to say MKX will surpass that figure if it made 5 million in less than half a year of its release.

MikeMyers

The PS2 had sold 50 million by 2002, 3 years before Tekken 5 came to console. Sony made a slideshow about how far ahead they were against their competitors. Can't share the image since I'm on phone but if you Google "Sony ps2 console war is over" it should be in the image section.

AAK

Yeah, you're right, my bad. The figure I saw was based off this image that depicts the U.S. sales only.

ps2-ltd-sales-vs-time.png

MikeMyers

Yeah. I don't really see T7 beating MK or SF in sales this gen, even if the latter won't be on the Xbox.

Also add me to the T4 fanclub.

AAK

Looking at things solely competitively, Tekken 4 I admit has relatively little value.... but everything else is just so divine.

In memory, my favorite Tekken 4 music:

Mall

Good God this stage was just so fascinating. Traversing from on corner all the way to the fountain and then to the stairway... My favorite stage by far in T4. EDIT: And of coarse the track is pure beauty too!

AAK

You could give Harada a heart attack with that image ;P

We should rename the thread to:

ITT: We post T4 nostalgia that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Tekken

shoutout to anyone who got that reference

Sayah

Damn, awesome. Gotta play this.

Oh, it's also an amazing game.

Not sure how well it aged since I played it many many years ago, but it's one of my all time favorites. Buy it on PC if you can. Controls were awkward on PS2.

Definitely one of the underrated gems of that era.

Good God this stage was just so fascinating. Traversing from on corner all the way to the fountain and then to the stairway... My favorite stage by far in T4. EDIT: And of coarse the track is pure beauty too!

100% agreed.

MikeMyers

You could give Harada a heart attack with that image ;P

We should rename the thread to:

ITT: We post T4 nostalgia that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Tekken

shoutout to anyone who got that reference
Reference to the Simpsons thread?

GrayFoxPL

Oh, it's also an amazing game.

Not sure how well it aged since I played it many many years ago, but it's one of my all time favorites. Buy it on PC if you can. Controls were awkward on PS2.

Definitely one of the underrated gems of that era.

I have it on PS2 and yes controls are awkward, lol.

The game is hard, at least that insane computer server was.

Can't play on PC anyway.

Sayah

I have it on PS2 and yes controls are awkward, lol.

The game is hard, at least that insane computer server was.

Can't play on PC anyway.

Yeah, I distinctly remember the controls being awkward when I tried the game on PS2.
But I played it on PC for the most part and really really loved it. I think pretty much any PC should be able to run this game since it's so old. Doesn't have to be a gaming PC.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, I distinctly remember the controls being awkward when I tried the game on PS2.
But I played it on PC for the most part and really really loved it. I think pretty much any PC should be able to run this game since it's so old. Doesn't have to be a gaming PC.

Yeah I know, I just can't play on keyboard anymore.

AAK

The hell did I just walk into 2002?

I was oblivious to anything pre-2004.... But I can't imagine being one of those people that was in the Tekken scene and seeing this trailer for the first time when I've only been playing the hell out of Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6D-dcv1EMM

THIS is a picture perfect way to make your new game marketable. All the characters evolved with new gameplay scenarios brewing with every cut! And like you said, 2002 was prime off the attitude era of WWF... seeing King pull off the Rock Bottom right there must've made ANY roof explode. It's just looking at all that I can't see any way how Tekken 7 can marketable with the way it looks now.

Pachimari

Maybe it would be time for Harada to leave, in order for Tekken to excite again. I'm not saying he will, but it's obvious he hates Tekken 4, which I also think has been the most interesting in the franchise.

AAK

Looks good but the faces are so similiar.

And bodies.

BUT the one thing DOA does better than any other fighting game ever created is load times. You can choose a character with a random costume with a random stage, and every time you pick rematch, the game will load a brand new stage with a brand new outfit instantly with 0 load times. That is some masterful hardware wizardry if I've ever seen it. Tekken is still in the stoneage when it comes to this feature where rematching has to literally reload everything along with the versus loading screen. I don't know why but Guilty Gear Xrd also succumbs to this when +R had instant rematches. And I know it's not an Unreal Engine issue since Street Fighter V has instant rematches.

However, no game has yet to implement instant rematches with the stage at random like DOA did. But in regards to Tekken, what surprises me the most is how Soul Calibur V implemented instant rematches... so it's not like Namco isn't aware of the option. It could maybe be the way Tekken was designed and the way the programmers handled memory management. I really do think Tekken needs to rebuild from the ground up at this point.

Numb

The thirst for a new and bold Tekken is really strong in this thread....smh lol
Indeed.

And bodies.

BUT the one thing DOA does better than any other fighting game ever created is load times. You can choose a character with a random costume with a random stage, and every time you pick rematch, the game will load a brand new stage with a brand new outfit instantly with 0 load times. That is some masterful hardware wizardry if I've ever seen it. Tekken is still in the stoneage when it comes to this feature where rematching has to literally reload everything along with the versus loading screen. I don't know why but Guilty Gear Xrd also succumbs to this when +R had instant rematches. And I know it's not an Unreal Engine issue since Street Fighter V has instant rematches.

However, no game has yet to implement instant rematches with the stage at random like DOA did. But in regards to Tekken, what surprises me the most is how Soul Calibur V implemented instant rematches... so it's not like Namco isn't aware of the option. It could maybe be the way Tekken was designed and the way the programmers handled memory management. I really do think Tekken needs to rebuild from the ground up at this point.
Indeed. First time i saw those random stage select loading after a match it freaked me out alittle. Very impressive almost combines sets into one long match if people don't change stuff.

And bodies.

I think T6 had this in it's VS mode. Granted, it reloaded the same stage.

AAK

I'm pretty sure T6 handles it like GGXrd where it still enters a loading screen. When I mean instant I'm talking about like how SFIV, MvC3, SCV, handle it where the round begins at the touch of the rematch button. DOA is the only gave that manages to do it instantly & have different stages /attires.

GrayFoxPL

I think T2 had the best music. Beat art direction too imo.

Loved the opening as well.

Agreed 100%.

Game was mature, mysterious and had the best music I ever heard in a fighting game.

Though arrange music tracks were better then arcade ones.

And that intro.

"Nothing can give you that sense of harmony."

Dereck

For real though, when are they gonna add the Katarina's backyard stage, and the Lili's mansion stage to Tekken 7 guys

Numb

Ahem, for the Horde!!! Anyone other Tekken fan excited for the WarCraft film?

Someone showed me the trailer like an hour ago after forgetting it completely.
Would watch it if it's good especially after seeing Ragnar
lothbrok
the bloodedge was in

Sayah

I was oblivious to anything pre-2004.... But I can't imagine being one of those people that was in the Tekken scene and seeing this trailer for the first time when I've only been playing the hell out of Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6D-dcv1EMM

THIS is a picture perfect way to make your new game marketable. All the characters evolved with new gameplay scenarios brewing with every cut! And like you said, 2002 was prime off the attitude era of WWF... seeing King pull off the Rock Bottom right there must've made ANY roof explode. It's just looking at all that I can't see any way how Tekken 7 can marketable with the way it looks now.

Tekken 7 is marketable. They're just doing a (very) bad job at it. It's people like Kane and STL posting high quality 1080p 60fps vids on youtube. Meanwhile, they're using Niconico to show everyone their game at 240p. And even the trailers they put on youtube don't show true HD quality and somehow end up getting badly compressed.

Their trailers also don't have much effort put into hyping up a character. Like going from the Tekken 4 trailer you posted (HYPEEEE!!!!) to our favorite new direction they're going in................it's clear what the issue is.

Even their Tekken 7 console reveal trailer was a bunch of CG scenes from old games pasted together. It's like there's no real excitement or motivation behind it all. Meanwhile, SFV is wow-ing crowds with every trailer their team releases. Tekken 7 can do that too if they focus on the good aspects.

Maybe?

Kane and STL post 60fps vids. If you want a good metric for how the game looks in-person, then their videos do a good representation of that.

So after watching a bunch of match videos & checking out some frame data I think that Kazumi is secret High Tier & the second best new character added to the game behind Shaheen. The frame data on some of her moves are amazing. Very strong character IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom