• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayFoxPL

GGs. A few days ago. I'm still trying out different tag partners.

Also figured out why I could never seem to do demo man correctly when I've messed around with Paul in the past. Apparently you can't button buffer the last hit if you want blue sparks.

Yeah, and the timing is...

Someone discovered it in Zaibatsu days, I remember it like it was yesterday.

Sayah

Despite everything, I think I'm still going to use Lucky Chloe.

SEEEEEE you next tiiiime. bai.

I think my #1 complaint with Tekken 7 is reuse of Tag 2 customs. If they can resolve that along with some character modeling issues, it is the most beautiful fighter out there right now.

AAK

Can someone tell me the name of Steve player here?

is it just me or did like nobody show up for the Osaka qualifier? Place was literally barren.

And the series became even better with Tag 1 and DR, so I don't see the issue! :D

T3 was actually co-directed with Masahiro Kimoto. He went on to be the lead director for Tekken Tag, T4, T5, and then DR before disappearing from Namco.

Tekken 6 onwards has had direction led by Yuichi Yonemori.

Despite everything, I think I'm still going to use Lucky Chloe.

SEEEEEE you next tiiiime. bai.

I haven't seen that in sooooo long.....EVERY damn time my insides get the impulsion:

9T1kgIr.gif

Sayah

T3 was actually co-directed with Masahiro Kimoto. He went on to be the lead director for Tekken Tag, T4, T5, and then DR before disappearing from Namco.

Tekken 6 onwards has had direction led by Yuichi Yonemori.

hmmmmmmmm.......
Tekken 6 is when we started getting characters like Lars and Alisa.

lupinko

hmmmmmmmm.......
Tekken 6 is when we started getting characters like Lars and Alisa.

You mean BR.

Because we got Bob/Miguel/Zafina/Leo in vanilla and they're great.

Although 6 did give us stupid bosses, but they're bosses so who cares. Lol

When I say stupid, I mean beyond goofy.

Devil Kazumi is actually a return to normal in comparison. You can say the same with Unknown too, sorta.

lupinko

I'm going to pick up mama kaz now, she's just really strong. But right she'll only be training mode or against the computer to get the feel for it. I need to see more of her combos. I finally reached 300 wins today with Kat, ending the night with 303.

I really need to play at home because I still fall for dumb stuff from old characters that I'm not aware of.

GrayFoxPL

Good games Sasuke. I'm slowly getting back in shape.

My Jinpachi is still basic I don't know his optimal play yet. I gotta play Numb and learn the real shit.

Try playing more with that Feng/Drag. I'm decent against Drag, but Feng annoys me.

Use that Eddy too, I need a lot of training against him. If only every character had Jins b+2,1 to stop relax bullshit.

Your Xiao is so hard to hit. With Kaz I gotta pray df+2 scores since the electric is useless. Jin is the boss against those low stance characters, many of his mids hit all the way down instead of whiffing like Kaz'es.

I don't know how you predict those lows, I try to mix em so hard, but no - doesn't work on you, lol.

GrayFoxPL

You ain't gonna learn from me. Use day 1 tactics still but we should play.
Been a minute.

Yeah, we gotta.

I have zero day tactics. Actually punishing stuff with df+2 is so hard for me. It's easier for me to use 15/16 frame hopkicks(for other characters) then Pachi's 14 frame df+2. Pachi just doesn't move forward. I want to instinctively use crouch dash. And I keep confusing ff+3 with ff+4.

Numb

Yeah, we gotta.

I have zero day tactics. Actually punishing stuff with df+2 is so hard for me. It's easier for me to use 15/16 frame hopkicks(for other characters) then Pachi's 14 frame df+2. Pachi just doesn't move forward. I want to instinctively use crouch dash. And I keep confusing ff+3 with ff+4.
Think less.
It will help lol. Dude has so many KND and wall splat stuff that good just using any.

sasuke_91

Good games Sasuke. I'm slowly getting back in shape.

My Jinpachi is still basic I don't know his optimal play yet. I gotta play Numb and learn the real shit.

Try playing more with that Feng/Drag. I'm decent against Drag, but Feng annoys me.

Use that Eddy too, I need a lot of training against him. If only every character had Jins b+2,1 to stop relax bullshit.

Your Xiao is so hard to hit. With Kaz I gotta pray df+2 scores since the electric is useless. Jin is the boss against those low stance characters, many of his mids hit all the way down instead of whiffing like Kaz'es.

I don't know how you predict those lows, I try to mix em so hard, but no - doesn't work on you, lol.

Good games. I just picked up Drag/Feng. Don't know anything about them yet. That's the first time I've tried using them against anyone :p
My Eddy is so bad haha. I fully rely on Heihachi for that team. Their combo damage is pretty decent, too.

Use hopkicks against Xiaoyu. That's her biggest weakness. Her sidestep AOP is pretty great if you know how to make use of it. And be careful with Jin, you remember how we found out that AOP beats both 1,2,3 and 1,2,4 :p

I'm not really sure about the lows myself, it just works^^ I sometimes go into Sharingan-mode and see that shit coming :D
One thing you have to work on is Kazuya's mist-step. Hide it better. I always know when a Hellsweep is coming when you're right in front of me.

Think less.
It will help lol. Dude has so many KND and wall splat stuff that good just using any.
Yeah, KND moves and his overpowered Okizeme make me hate Jinpachi^^

GrayFoxPL

Good games. I just picked up Drag/Feng. Don't know anything about them yet. That's the first time I've tried using them against anyone :p
My Eddy is so bad haha. I fully rely on Heihachi for that team. Their combo damage is pretty decent, too.

Use hopkicks against Xiaoyu. That's her biggest weakness. Her sidestep AOP is pretty great if you know how to make use of it. And be careful with Jin, you remember how we found out that AOP beats both 1,2,3 and 1,2,4 :p

I'm not really sure about the lows myself, it just works^^ I sometimes go into Sharingan-mode and see that shit coming :D

Yeah, KND moves and his overpowered Okizeme make me hate Jinpachi^^

Kazuya has no hopkicks, we'll one.. UF,n,4. :[

The dumb thing I do is automatic uf4,4 even when tell myself: "Do uf+3!" and still do uf4,4.

One thing you have to work on is Kazuya's mist-step. Hide it better. I always know when a Hellsweep is coming when you're right in front of me.

Thanks, I'll work on this hard.
This kind of advice I need the most.

sasuke_91

Leo sounds like a character from Unter Uns.

Hahaha. I don't watch stuff like that, so I'll just believe you there :p

Thanks, I'll work on this hard.
This kind of advice I need the most.

I'd love to give some advice now and then, but I'm not good at analyzing stuff and my knowledge is also very limited. I could give some Steve advice I guess, but most of that knowledge comes from you :p

Dem Japanese never block hellsweeps.

Wish Sasuke was Japanese. :p

Blocks most lows, ducks most highs and launches with Sendo Smash. :(

So mids work on him?

XkWKCfQ.gif
Now this is too flattering. Thanks^^

They sometimes go a little overboard with that "no low blocking" pro rule, don't they? Especially against Capos.

Sendo Smash so cool!

AAK

It's seeing stuff like this that reminds me why Tekken is so beloved to me.

When Tekken tries... it can make a martial art more visually appealing than anything else out there in the entertainment industry. I have so many ideas on how they can take this aspect so much farther... my hope will lie in Tekken 8 for now.

GrayFoxPL

I'd love to give some advice now and then, but I'm not good at analyzing stuff and my knowledge is also very limited. I could give some Steve advice I guess, but most of that knowledge comes from you :p

Nah, you write good advice. It's not about being philosophical but just noticing something important among the chaos. Like you just did. That's all about it.

When you see more, shoot. I'd appreciate it.

And your Steve is way above anything I could do. I try to mimic you but there's too much to remember at one time. My Steve must rest.

Now this is too flattering. Thanks^^

They sometimes go a little overboard with that "no low blocking" pro rule, don't they? Especially against Capos.

Sendo Smash so cool!

It's fascinating really. They are afraid to throw out -13 mids but -25 lows are ok since bros won't block them. Lol.

I think this might be the case.. when I fought Ao at evo, i did three consecutive hellsweeps in a row and he got hit by all of them.

Real samurai don't disgrace themselves by blocking low. ;)

It's seeing stuff like this that reminds me why Tekken is so beloved to me.

When Tekken tries... it can make a martial art more visually appealing than anything else out there in the entertainment industry. I have so many ideas on how they can take this aspect so much farther... my hope will lie in Tekken 8 for now.

Oh man! How didn't I see that? Too cool. It's Eric Jacobus. He has a group called The Stunt People. They're fucking awesome. I follow them for years. They made bunch of low budget movies. I always wish them to break through and go big but so far it's only stunts, episode of MK Legacy 2 and little bigger in budged Death Grip with Johnny Yong Bosh.

If you can, get one of their earlier movies - "Contour" It's basically tons of fighting and silly comedy not unlike Jackie Chan.
Dudes are just awesome, fighting like in older HK movies and not afraid to get hurt.

Few Contour gifs:

yJ0gnVY.gif

8mf4j07.gif

ojaMueh.gif

Death Grip is also cool and way more "pro" but for me Contour is king. Johnny Yong Bosh is a baddass though.

Sayah

You made an enemy for life today my amigo.

:D

You mean BR.

Because we got Bob/Miguel/Zafina/Leo in vanilla and they're great.

Although 6 did give us stupid bosses, but they're bosses so who cares. Lol

When I say stupid, I mean beyond goofy.

Devil Kazumi is actually a return to normal in comparison. You can say the same with Unknown too, sorta.

Well....outside of Bob anyway.
Chloe isn't actually bad once you dump all the furry stuff.

It's why I'm bummed I didn't get her idolmaster outfit.

Namco just chose the wrong concept art designs anyway.
The criticism they got maybe would have not happened had they gone with the below design. I even like Chloe's Engrish. It's just the design is so puke worthy.

sdcc2015img3.jpg

Especially on Kazumi, those flame wings look so artificial. Wish they had just gone with regular wings like in the third concept below.

sdcc2015img5.jpg

lupinko

The last two D. Kazumi designs are very devil lady inspired, I guess Namco didn't want to rip off I mean homage Go Nagai. Lol

Lol am I wrong to make my character choices based on the amount of customs I have?

lupinko

lol.

You're fine picking characters like that as long as you're having fun. :p

I have completed customs and special customs for:
Katarina
Shaheen
Lili
Kazumi
Josie
Asuka
Xiaoyu
Law
Dragunov
Alisa

Panels for Lili, Kaz, DJ, Kazumi, Law and Jin.

Special Customs in development for:
Lars
Josie
DJin
Hworang
Yoshi
Paul
Feng

That doesn't count miscellaneous customs and whatnot. I wish I could get a Kat panel or Drag, Shaheen would be cool too.

Kazumi looking good with hat and idolmaster outfit (kinda looks like that one Persona girl whatever her name is) in addition to the panel and her being stupid good are recent motivators for me playing her.

I'm too lazy to play Tag 2 at home, gaming at home becomes Pokemon typically. Lol

But I'm refraining from using arcade practice mode on old characters and the time limit sucks for T7 compared to Xrd's.

Speaking of panels, has anyone been able to datamine either Tekkennet site? Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have a direct link for the portraits. They're actually pngs too, so I was pretty fortunate to get the character panels I got actually. The best being Shunya Yamashita Kazumi so far.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I was just talking to Michael Murray and he mentioned he was reading this thread. So yeah, say hi and keep the discussions clean/easy to follow.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Despite all the stuff we say here, we all love Tekken Mr. Murray. We also all know what's best for the series, but I do especially.

It starts with a K and ends with a big, spine-snapping hug

Just chanting CONSOLE NAO CONSOLE NAO counts as a clean discussion, right?

Edit: Hi, mr. Murray! Keep up the good work! Despite our bitching, we appreciate it. ( '.')b

Dereck

He should get an account so that he can interact with us. If he's lurking and reading the thread there's not much about that to get me concerned.

AAK

MM: Even after everything I've been saying about Tekken after LC's reveal it is still the best game out there and is an inveterate part of the culture I indulge myself in. And because of how magnificently Tekken has been delivered in the past, I just know the team you're a part of are capable of so much more. In the end... I can only hope the criticism was constructive.

AZUMIKE

I was just talking to Michael Murray and he mentioned he was reading this thread. So yeah, say hi and keep the discussions clean/easy to follow.

Your work is appreciated Michael Murray. I'm looking forward to any announcements you still have for the year 2015.

lupinko

Hey, since I'm representing TekkenGAF in Japan, all my posts are just about me trying to level up or talking about Tekken-dress up.

Please Mr. Harada and Mr. Murray, can I get hookups for items in Tekken 7?

Sayah

Hi Mr. Murray!!!!

We all do love and care about Tekken, which is why we're bitching so much.

Anyway, can Alisa go full on terminator mode?

tumblr_lp6vijWkXV1qdqy0bo1_500.gif

When people play fighting games, they want to feel badass and that usually requires badass fighters........instead of this.

I use Alisa sometimes and the animations/moves/everything is cool......but that sense of badass is not there.

Hey, since I'm representing TekkenGAF in Japan, all my posts are just about me trying to level up or talking about Tekken-dress up.

Please Mr. Harada and Mr. Murray, can I get hookups for items in Tekken 7?

lmao
This post made me laugh too much for some reason.

GrayFoxPL

Ggs Sasuke.

Sorry I was too tired already. Couldn't pull off df+1 anymore.

You almost took me out with that feng/drag, very good play. I was surprised you didn't try them more.

With Feng remember about that weird bound after db+4 with 2~1. And he has lots of low launchers. ss+4, f+(4),4 BT d+3 and his strongest tag ender is 3~4,3. Abuse db+1 stuff. Also 4~3 flip stomp is ridiculous, high crush plus great oki and range.

Oh and his get up with 3+4 is really good, you can even score a combo if you time jab(2 I think) after it.

Michael Murry;

Just a few things.

-Better hair texturing. This is a simple thing that can go a long way to help improve the look of the game.

-Concentrate on having a robust amount of single player content for consoles. Look to recent Mortal Kombat games. These games sell amazing despite poor online & questionable gameplay decisions. Having a quality story mode goes a long way with reviewers and casuals.

-Tekken Ball & Tekken Bowling are huge casual favorites that should both return with online play. These simple game within a game give casual players who might not be good at Tekken & are frustrated losing online a more simple "fun" competitive outlet. No other fighting game allows for online mini-games & I guaratee you this can be a HUGE selling point for Tekken 7 on consoles.

-And one selfish request. Make Claudio's b+1 -10 but no longer have screw properties. Move has lost it's use in his moveset. Removing the screw properties in exchange for more safety seems fair.

AAK

-Tekken Ball & Tekken Bowling are huge casual favorites that should both return with online play. These simple game within a game give casual players who might not be good at Tekken & are frustrated losing online a more simple "fun" competitive outlet. No other fighting game allows for online mini-games & I guaratee you this can be a HUGE selling point for Tekken 7 on consoles.

I don't think Tekken Ball and Tekken Bowling modes have much bearing for casual fans. It would have then made a difference for TTT2 WiiU vers.

If you want casual audiences to like Tekken... make Tekken look freiking awesome again.
- Update the animations to look next gen. Make impacts hurt that will really wow audiences like it did with Tekken 3. Or how Tekken 5 did with the new throw break animations. Have unique hit animations for heavy or light characters just like Virtua Fighter 5: FS. Make natural transition animations between stuns. Seeing someone attempt a backroll and then getting hit only to teleport back to a KND positions will always break immersion.
- Make Juggle animations look more natural (I know juggling isn't natural, but at least have proper rigid body physics and not ugly stuff like the current BT Screw Attack).
- Make Tekken resonate with the more mature audiences. The vast amount of casuals are men and women who are now in their late 20's to 30's. An art style that resonates with those audiences similar to what MK did will work.
- On that art style comment, GIVE THE TEKKEN CHARACTERS SOME RESPECT. There's no bigger turn off than having such a well designed fighting game character like Bryan all of a sudden getting owned up by Kauya in a dominatrix mad max outfit with a giant salmon on his back, pink pompadour hair, while having an ice cream cone in his hand.
- A big thing is the soundtrack. This is hugely dependent on the current inspiration levels the composer will have a the time so it's really difficult to give a tangible explanation on where to improve... But games like Tekken 2, Tekken 3, Tekken 5 where casuals were on board with the series had tunes that put even the entire industry to its knees.

It's all about these fine attention to details and iconic respect which made Tekken the go-to fighting game for all audiences from yesteryear.

Not saying that adding extra modes won't help, but the core issue of the current presentation of Tekken 7 needs to be addressed if you want access to that casuals audience. Remember, it's the details which make casuals make threads like these.

EDIT: Just want to add, stuff like the end of round slow-mo is the sort of additions that improve the presentation of the fighting. It's a clear example where the audience collectively says "wow" at what's happening on screen. We need more things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom