• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

The volley at 15-15 was unreal. I doubt Djokovic has hit a cross-court passing shot that good and lost the point more than 10 times in his career. Still expect Murray to choke/get mind gamed.

funny that we soon have 2 swiss players in the WTA top 10 yet we don't have a single WTA tournament here. they can't even do their job at home.

Nobody beats Andy Murray 9 times in a row!
(Wait, has somebody beaten Andy 9 times in a row?)

And good lord, 3 hours of that, and there weren't even any tie-breakers or 7-5 sets. I'm sweating just after watching all the excruciating holds in the third set. Well done Andy!

Novak's 3rd loss of the year (well, 4th including Karlovic in Doha), but still only two players have won Masters 1000 titles this season. Can't wait for Cincy and the USO, especially with Murray as the new World #2.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
little late but yeeeessssss murray get in there

it was actually easier than i thought it would be, to be honest - the scoreline flattered Djokovic and I felt Murray was the better player for large stretches of the match. So aggressive in the third set, it was lovely to watch.

In what may be a first at a pro-level tournament, a player complained about the wafting smell of marijuana use beside the court. That was none other than Novak Djokovic, who brought it to the chair umpire's attention during his Montreal semifinal against Jeremy Chardy, and who had smelled the same pungent aroma at a doubles match earlier. Djokovic reported that he was getting dizzy off of it, and later said, "Whoever it is, I hope he doesn't come back tomorrow. He's probably on the seventh sky somewhere."

Now watch the ATP is going to test Djokovic for marijuana, it will come back positive for trace amounts due to second hand smoke, and then they'll hammer him with a 2 year suspension.

szaromir

Banned
Now watch the ATP is going to test Djokovic for marijuana, it will come back positive for trace amounts due to second hand smoke, and then they'll hammer him with a 2 year suspension.

Yeah, no, whatever he inhaled in such circumstances would result in untraceable amounts. And him stating he was getting dizzy was a lie, it is a very stinging and unpleasant (if you're not used to it) smell though.

miserable

Halep with a fan

55d26fb495f9cfeb7e000003

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm more interested in the Coric-Zverev match. Could be the beginning of a big rivalry.

I think Zverev's best possible result is another Raonic, to be honest. The movement isn't there.

EDIT: Not to say Raonic's career is bad, by any means, I just can't see him as a Slam winner.

szaromir

Banned
I think Zverev's best possible result is another Raonic, to be honest. The movement isn't there.

EDIT: Not to say Raonic's career is bad, by any means, I just can't see him as a Slam winner.

TBH it's hard to see anyone new as a slam winner, the overall level isn't there compared to the level youngsters displayed a decade ago. But eventually the current top players will decline and someone will step up to the challenge, they'll likely possess a different mix then the defensive oriented Nadal and Djokovic.

Which is better for a beginner recreational player? One is bigger and heavier: does that mean a bigger sweet spot and more control?

https://www.head.com/tennis/products/racquets/tour-speed/graphene-xt-speed-lite/8277/?region=eu

Graphene XT Speed Lite
Weight (unstrung) 260 g / 9.2 oz
Beam 24 mm
Head size 660 cm² / 102 in²
Balance 340 mm / even
Length Standard, 685 mm / 27 in
Grip size 0-5
String pattern 16/19

https://www.head.com/tennis/product...nct/graphene-xt-instinct-lite/8365/?region=eu

Graphene XT Instinct Lite
Weight (unstrung) 280 g / 9.9 oz
Beam 24/26/23 mm
Head size 690 cm² / 107 in²
Balance 330 mm - 2⁄3 in HL
Length 690 mm - 27.2 in
Grip size 0-5
String pattern 16/19

US Open Wild cards have been announced. All Americans except for a few

Bethany Mattek Sands
Louisa Chirico
Samantha Crawford
Nicole Gibbs
Sofia Kenin
Jamie Loeb
Sachia Vickery
Oceane Dodin (FRA)

Ryan Harrison
Jared Donaldson
Bjorn Fratangelo
Austin Krajicek
Ryan Shane
Francis Tiafoe
Pierre-Hughes Herbert (FRA)
Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)

Surprise ommisions, imo, were Cici Bellis, and Robby Genepri. The former being last years darling, and the latter is a former US-Open semi-Finalist who is retiring at the end of the year

Bencic defeats Kerber in a close match, 7-5, 6-3. Again she shows her mental strength after losing her serve while a break up at 3-2 only to immediately break back after Kerber had several points to hold.

Since starting her grass court season at s'Hertogenbosch, Bencic is 20-2, losing to Giorgi in the s'Hertogenbosch final and to Azarenka at Wimbledon (while winning Eastbourne and Toronto).

Bencic defeats Kerber in a close match, 7-5, 6-3. Again she shows her mental strength after losing her serve while a break up at 3-2 only to immediately break back after Kerber had several points to hold.

Since starting her grass court season at s'Hertogenbosch, Bencic is 20-2, losing to Giorgi in the s'Hertogenbosch final and to Azarenka at Wimbledon (while winning Eastbourne and Toronto).

shows huge mental toughness winning that match so close after her biggest triumph.

Top Bottom