• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Octoberkast announced!

Lets do this!

tumblr_m6gx37B0S91ryj6qoo1_250.gif

I'm watching a Giant Bomb QL and they were talking about hard boiled eggs just as I read this page of this thread and I got really confused

Love me some Gary but it's so annoying when he gets all passive aggressive on twitter about anyone down on Apple after a conference. Literally happens after every Apple conference.

popo

Love me some Gary but it's so annoying when he gets all passive aggressive on twitter about anyone down on Apple after a conference. Literally happens after every Apple conference.

Just don't follow him. That is what I do. Stops me getting angry when he talks about UK politics even though he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about any more.

There are a lot of people I continue to like because I purposly ignore their twitter feeds.

Chuck

Still without luck
Great cast this week. Gary always adds that great third pillar.

Also there is a lock picking story on Tested right now...

5qjD9xis.png

Octoberkast request - book club! Announce a book at the beginning of October and then during octoberkast have a 30 or so minute spoiler filled discussion. Seems like a nice way to pad out the early morning hours. Plus you can force Norm to read it so he actually talks!

I enjoyed the book talk this week and can not believe we missed out on the Will, Dave and Vinny book talk :(

Has there ever been a bigger missed opportunity to drop a 'that's racist' than when Gary said 'I don't need to do color mixing' during the 5C case discussion?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Will said it was optimized for tablets and looks good on regular monitors too. The former being true and the latter being completely and totally false.

It 100% favors portrait mode, which means it's tailored exclusively for tablets.

I still don't fucking know who tablets are for. Maybe people who are too ashamed to sit in front of computers. Or maybe mobile people that area always on the move doing kayaking and climbing mount everest, but need to check tested.com article about George Lucas special Japanese arena show.

With that said, I don't think the new layout is ok. It suffers from the same problems as Polygon layout (a floating index?), and some other things as well (banner pictures that occupy the entire width of the monitor, but the text doesn't?), but I don't think they're THAT BAD...

Zaph

Has there been another After Earth thread or something? Gary seems to be on a full on anti-GAF trip at the moment.

Chuck

Still without luck
Yeah, they're actually gaining popularity if you can believe it. I do think the podcast is on a bit of a downturn lately though, mostly just the Garyless casts. It almost seems like they just do it out of habbit now, since they stopped doing fake outtakes, a segment literally all of their listeners loved. Hope they can bring it back.

popo

The site is safe so long as Adam Savage is happy with it. There is no way the traffic - even with some impressive youtube figures - covers the costs but it seems clear that BB bought it and fund it as a "gift" to further their relationship with the mythbuster. So unless he falls out with BB, or falls out with Will or Norm - who he genuinely seems to like - then they are likely golden.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The site is safe so long as Adam Savage is happy with it. There is no way the traffic - even with some impressive youtube figures - covers the costs but it seems clear that BB bought it and fund it as a "gift" to further their relationship with the mythbuster. So unless he falls out with BB, or falls out with Will or Norm - who he genuinely seems to like - then they are likely golden.

Why would they continue it as "gift"? I seriously doubt the mythbusters wouldn't hesitate to cut them if they aren't doing something for them.

From what I've seen Tested has been the way for them to get it the new social style of internet video and extend their brand to that side of the business, which seems to be getting pretty good views most of the time.

Also operationally I don't think tested would be that expensive to maintain.

Aaron

Yeah, they're actually gaining popularity if you can believe it. I do think the podcast is on a bit of a downturn lately though, mostly just the Garyless casts. It almost seems like they just do it out of habbit now, since they stopped doing fake outtakes, a segment literally all of their listeners loved. Hope they can bring it back.
I still enjoy the podcast every week, gary or no gary, except for the questions section sometimes. That and their indepth reviews on things like ios 7 and that nvidia handheld are my favorite parts of the site.

popo

BermanBraun is mainly in to TV. They have one show with Adam and Jamie (unchained reaction) and likely would like to continue that relationship and make more shows. They know Adam has been thinking about doing some internet stuff. BB have just aquired some sites along with a web publishing platform that they bought.

So - and this is just my conjecture - it would make sense to brand "Tested" as "Adam and Jamie's Tested". BB get the branding and gets to present Adam with this ready made staffed website for him to post all his crap to. They also fund it for him.

If you look at the other sites and youtube channels BB is in to, then Tested is unusual in terms of its editorial and its budget. They might only have 3 full time staff but buying launch day iphones and sending 3 people to new york is not cheap (as happened this week). Whiskey certainly couldn't make it pay and their traffic isn't up by that much. Very little site advertising so youtube is their main income source.

So as a business makes little sense to keep it running unless you factor in the intangible benefits of their (BB) overall relqationship with Adam. Without that you might as well just neglect it like they did with AnimeVice (community run) or Screened (cheap pay by the word staffers).

So when I say "gift" I mean that BB pays for the site as a gift to Adam. If the relationship between Adam and BB goes sour then BB still own the site - but would likely have to remove the branding. If the relationship between Will/Norm and Adam goes sour then I suspect BB would fire them on Adam's say so. I think both of those senarios are unlikely so Tested is safe in the short to medium term so long as everyone is happy and making TV shows together.

As I said. All conjecture. Likely that is all bull I just made up.

Groof

I still enjoy the podcast every week, gary or no gary, except for the questions section sometimes. That and their indepth reviews on things like ios 7 and that nvidia handheld are my favorite parts of the site.

Tested's in-depth reviews are one of the few reviews I still actually take seriously and enjoy following, because I know they take their time with the product to get a good feel for it. And Norm's jabs at "regular" reviews on Twitter are always hilarious.

Tested is really making a reality show out of finding adam an assisstant

scrolling down the page I get 1 video on youtube, one on the tested player, and one on vimeo. Looks real nice.

eznark

Banned
The Adam stuff is far and away the least interesting to me, disappointed to see it becoming the main focus of the site.

Top Bottom