• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGI Fridays endless appetizers are now part of their permanent menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/15/tgi-...appetizer-promotion-a-permanent-offering.html

Sarah Whitten | @sarahwhit10
1 Hour Ago

The restaurant industry value wars are not over.

In an attempt to entice diners to its restaurants, TGI Fridays is making its endless appetizer promotion a permanent menu addition. For $10 customers can enjoy endless quantities of a combination the chain's appetizers, including pot stickers, boneless buffalo wings, loaded potato skins and mozzarella sticks, among others.

TGI Fridays has also added two new appetizers: meatballs and fried pickles.

"Endless Apps have become a pop culture phenomenon, as evidenced by the outcry we heard every time the limited time offer expired," John Antioco, TGI Fridays chief executive officer, said in a statement.

The restaurant industry has struggled with weak sales and traffic throughout 2016 and chains are developing ways to lure in new, relapsed and current customers.

EDIT: Also, they're apparently throwing wings on top of their burgers now:

http://www.foodbeast.com/news/tgifridays-burgerbar/

The new Buffalo Wingman Burger boasts a blackened beef patty, Buffalo pimento cheese spread, spicy mayo made from Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce, spicy pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions. If that wasn't hearty enough, the burger is topped off with a skewer of Buffalo wings.

kD4Wtjg.jpg

Permanently A

What the fuck? That sounds very not profitable. I could easily down 20-30 wings. Hell, what's to stop an entire group from just ordering one $10 deal and getting apps for all of them?

Aurongel

What the fuck? That sounds very not profitable. I could easily down 20-30 wings. Hell, what's to stop an entire group from just ordering one $10 deal and getting apps for all of them?
Like the biscuits at Red Lobster, they probably charge you for the "free" food if you don't buy an entree.

Trey

It's per customer, or it's supposed to be. Obviously the restaurant will have to enforce it on a case by case basis.

Boney

Banned
I'd imagine you can only order one appetizer at a time and make most of the money on drinks.

Tagyhag

Wow, I've never been to TGI but if I'm hankering for some wings I rather go there next time than spend a bunch more money at Wingstop.

Boke1879

yea it's one of those things where they only bring out one at a time. TBH this is probably good for people who go out and drink with friends. 10 bucks for that shit and then you buy your drinks. Not a bad deal imo.

LogicStep

How do they make money if you can pay 10 and get endless food? I guess some people eat less than 10 worth but it doesn't seem that hard to eat over 10 worth..

Trey

How do they make money if you can pay 10 and get endless food? I guess some people eat less than 10 worth but it doesn't seem that hard to eat over 10 worth..

It's just to get you in the door. They entice you with endless, and hopefully you'll get drinks and an entree too while you're in there. Also, most people won't eat enough of the endless plates to make apps a big loss, if at all.

mf.luder

How much is your time worth?
If they brought out hot, crispy, good-tasting food every time and on time maybe it'd be worth it.

Machine

I've never eaten at TGI Fridays even though I've driven by one dozens of times. My aversion to fast-casual chains is too strong.

big ander

Obligatory, this article was a freaking treasure when I first read it. I'm glad at least their site is still archived.

http://gawker.com/my-14-hour-search-for-the-end-of-tgi-fridays-endless-ap-1606122925
Love this piece, hilarious every time I've read it.

11:34 a.m...I blame the TGI Friday's test kitchen executive chef (a prepaid cellphone that Guy Fieri texts recipes to while high on whippets) for making the prototype of these sticks accidentally one full moon—for by accident is the only way such an item could ever have been deemed suitable for human consumption—and then never copping to the mistake.

12:00 p.m. I order my second plate.
[...]
7:11 p.m. What if I just quit Gawker and work at TGI Friday's now? What if I already have? What is the nature of the Endless Apps bargain? Did I listen closely enough to Gabby? Did I sign a contract?
[...]
10:23 p.m. The power in TGI Friday's goes off for one second. One waitress squeals "It's the ghost!"

I am the ghost.
[...]
12:48 a.m. A family who boarded a flight from LaGuardia at the same time that I entered the restaurant this morning could now be ensconced comfortably at their hotel in Caracas. Perhaps for a late dinner they will walk to the Tolón Fashion Mall en la Calle Nicolás Copérnico—the location of one of Venezuela's six TGI Friday's.

Zukkoyaki

I was a server at Friday's when the promotion originally began and surprisingly people don't abuse it the way you think they would (at least in my experience). Usually folks only got one refill or went ahead and ordered normal entrees while munching on the app. The ones who down a ton of refills are usually the type of table to order a lot of drinks so it doesn't impact the bill too negatively. There was maybe one stupid table every few days that came in and wanted to order one endless app for their entire 4 top. "Just give them each a refill... At the same time." I had an awesome GM who didn't take the bullshit though so I might have just been lucky.

The real problem is the kitchen. If you don't have a VERY good guy or multiple guys running the fry station and there a lot of tables rocking the endless apps, it can get ugly real quick.

Obligatory, this article was a freaking treasure when I first read it. I'm glad at least their site is still archived.

http://gawker.com/my-14-hour-search-for-the-end-of-tgi-fridays-endless-ap-1606122925
Thank you for this, this article is amazing

"Gabby and I are not yet good enough friends that we can be honest with one another."

I'm weak
Yeah that was good. I lost it at "9:38 p.m. I read the menu cover to cover, except the dessert section, which I save as a treat for later."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom