• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That 90s Show announced

Soodanim

There’s absolutely no way they’re going to get anywhere close to the original. The only appeal is going to be the cameos and throwbacks from the original show. Is Red’s actor still alive? Isn’t Hyde’s actor a bit fucked up now? I’m not sure they’ll want to pay Mila Kunis level money, she’ll cost more than Topher Grace will.

bitbydeath

There’s absolutely no way they’re going to get anywhere close to the original. The only appeal is going to be the cameos and throwbacks from the original show. Is Red’s actor still alive? Isn’t Hyde’s actor a bit fucked up now? I’m not sure they’ll want to pay Mila Kunis level money, she’ll cost more than Topher Grace will.
Red and Kitty signed on.
Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp reprising their roles as Red and Kitty Forman respectively.

Kev Kev

That '70 Show started in 1976 (aired in 1998), 22 years later.
That' 90 Show will begin in 1995, 27 years later.

'90 seems so close but in reality it's older than its predecessor.
6c6.gif

kunonabi

Red and Kitty are in it. Hyde is out, Donna is highly doubtful, Ashton and Mila would take a couple Brinks trucks and no idea about Fez. The show didn't work without Grace last time so it seems pretty dumb to try it again but whatever it's not my money.

I am cautiously optimistic, but I really think they should have done That 80's Show first.

I wonder what the pilot episode will be like? The original started with a new year's party that had Bob donning his signature fro for the first time and Eric sneaking a six pack to the basement.

Last edited:

drganon

I'll be impressed if it makes it past a full season. That 70s show was the only sitcom I watched on a regular basis. This has little to no chance of matching it in quality.

drganon

Red and Kitty are in it. Hyde is out, Donna is highly doubtful, Ashton and Mila would take a couple Brinks trucks and no idea about Fez. The show didn't work without Grace last time so it seems pretty dumb to try it again but whatever it's not my money.
That last season truly was terrible. Especially that douche Randy who was brought in to try to replace Eric.

Dr. Claus

Banned
Not a huge fan of That 70s Show. The whole "LOL WE ARE SO HIIIIIIGH" shit got old after the first time. And it just repeats, for numerous seasons. I get its the 70s, but christ come up with some better material.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
That 80s show that bombed was a hell of a lot better than the last season of that 70s show

that 70s show was lighting in a bottle that they lost right in the middle

This 90s show based in a decade that I lived is gonna piss me off with all the things they'll get wrong more than anything I'd bet good money the tone itself wont be right at all a lot of shows/movies that go back to the 90s have this early/mid 2000s tone about them....its fucking stupid

Last edited:

Kenpachii

This could be interesting, 90's was the best area. However not sure about the returning cast of the 70's,i feel like they are far to old now but they could make a interesting "they are parents now" kind of solution.

kunonabi

That 80s show that bombed was a hell of a lot better than the last season of that 70s show

that 70s show was lighting in a bottle that they lost right in the middle

This 90s show based in a decade that I lived is gonna piss me off with all the things they'll get wrong more than anything I'd bet good money the tone itself wont be right at all a lot of shows/movies that go back to the 90s have this early/mid 2000s tone about them....its fucking stupid
That 80s show just needed to find its footing really. I think with another season it might have turned the corner. At the very least it had Chyler Leigh when she was hot and cool.

Soodanim

Red and Kitty are highlights of the show, particularly Red. Even if he only shows up once and does his catchphrases it’ll get views. Kitty’s laugh will do the same. I somehow forgot about Ashton. I would have thought Donna would have been an easier get because she was in Orange Is The New Black, so she’s already acquainted with Netflix. I assume Fez would get in on it, he can’t have that much going on and it’s his most known role.

I forget, did they ever replace the dead actress who played Eric’s sister?

What is almost certainly going to stand out for me is how “clean” everything looks in newer TV. There’s something lost in HD, and when you throw in modern set design (even if this is 90s based) I can’t help think it’s going to look bad. I’m setting a very low bar for this one. Any positive reaction at all will be surprising.

kunonabi

Red and Kitty are highlights of the show, particularly Red. Even if he only shows up once and does his catchphrases it’ll get views. Kitty’s laugh will do the same. I somehow forgot about Ashton. I would have thought Donna would have been an easier get because she was in Orange Is The New Black, so she’s already acquainted with Netflix. I assume Fez would get in on it, he can’t have that much going on and it’s his most known role.

I forget, did they ever replace the dead actress who played Eric’s sister?

What is almost certainly going to stand out for me is how “clean” everything looks in newer TV. There’s something lost in HD, and when you throw in modern set design (even if this is 90s based) I can’t help think it’s going to look bad. I’m setting a very low bar for this one. Any positive reaction at all will be surprising.
Pretty sure they did and she didn't really work out. The original just had this natural skankiness to her that sold the character. Donna's actress is just up her own ass these days which is why I'm doubtful.

Soodanim

Pretty sure they did and she didn't really work out. The original just had this natural skankiness to her that sold the character. Donna's actress is just up her own ass these days which is why I'm doubtful.
Topher Grace is another one who’s supposed to be a bit of a twat, so they say. And he doesn’t have hotness to fall back on like Hot Donna. But if they’re the parents they need to be figured in somehow unless the kid(s) were brought up by Red and Kitty. Fuck knows how they’re going to set it up

zeorhymer

Are they going to make jokes that were done in the 90s? I can't wait to see the wave of people being cancelled for making them.

JayK47

Um yeah. Sorry, but this just won't work. Not today. They will not be able to capture the 90s with all of the woke ass writers and producers and critics out there. I just do not see it happening. The 90s were great because nobody cared about identity politics and there was no fucking Twitter or Tik Tok sucking the life out of everybody.

I loved That 70s Show. Loved the cars. Just a great setting an an awesome cast. And no way that show could be made today.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
It's gonna be 90s, with 2020's woke to appeal to a "wider audience." I wanna see some Southpark-level offensive shit or I'm out, make it appeal to audiences that grew up in the 90s.

MilkLizard

South Park level offensive like the original? Some of you, I swear 😂😂😂

It’s gonna be a shit show nevertheless, that much is sure.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Um yeah. Sorry, but this just won't work. Not today. They will not be able to capture the 90s with all of the woke ass writers and producers and critics out there. I just do not see it happening. The 90s were great because nobody cared about identity politics and there was no fucking Twitter or Tik Tok sucking the life out of everybody.

I loved That 70s Show. Loved the cars. Just a great setting an an awesome cast. And no way that show could be made today.

Rewriting history is all the rage ;).

Top Bottom