• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the absolute best codec pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

i just re-installed xp on my computer and im trying to get all the codecs i gathered before formatting. its frustrating because ive downloaded a ton today and i still get videos that wont play video some with no sound. i tried nimo's codec pack but i still run into problems.

Anyway. Do you know what kind of video you're trying to play. Are they older or newer? If newer, say Mpeg 4, try grabbing ffdshow. It's a DirectShow decoding filter instead of a true codec. Plays all the new stuff though, 3vid, Xvid, divx, etc.

Pattergen

Why are there so many codecs. Why can't everyone just use the same one? And, what the hell is a codec in the first place.

miyuru

Pattergen said:
Why are there so many codecs. Why can't everyone just use the same one? And, what the hell is a codec in the first place.

lol!

In laymen's terms (to save myself any embarassment), codecs are different ways to encode videos. Some are better than others, as in, better quality + smaller filesize. Codecs are always evolving and getting better, so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom