• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Adventures of Tintin |OT| - Why Beyond Good & Evil 2 is a bad idea

Shiggy

UqTFL.jpg

Courtesy of iNvidious01

Developer: Ubisoft Montpellier (mostly BG&E2 and Rabbids Go Home staffers)
Release: 21 October 2011 (EU) - 6 December 2011 (NA)

tintin_ss3.jpg
tintin_ss2.jpg
tintin_ss5.jpg
tintin_ss4.jpg

Key Features
EXPERIENCE THE ADVENTURE AND EXOTIC ENVIRONMENTS FROM THE ACTION-PACKED MOVIE
Play as Tintin, Snowy, Captain Haddock or three other unlockable characters, each with their own personality and skills. Travel the world and discover more than 20 environments from the movie and beyond, such as Captain Haddock’s ship the Karaboudjan, the moonlit deserts of the northern Sahara, the exotic city of Bagghar, and more.

PLAY SOLO OR WITH FRIENDS FOR ENDLESS FUN
Play solo and relive major moments of the movie through a variety of gameplay, from platforming to sword fighting to flying a plane. Share the fun in 2-player co-op mode: play together with your friends to help solve the mysteries! Experiment with your characters’ new skills, collect treasures, earn disguises and unlock new maps. Compete in Challenge Mode: For a little extra competition, play against AI in specific challenges. More than 20 hours of gameplay!

HUGE GAMEPLAY VARIETY OFFERING SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE
Pilot a plane through a rumbling tempest, drive a side-car in desert canyons, swim through underwater caves, sword-fight a 17th century knight, and solve puzzles on the trail of an incredible treasure, and more! Plus, play in the present and past as you discover various clues from Captain Haddock’s ancestors.

ENJOY ENHANCED IMMERSION WITH PLAYSTATION®MOVE AND KINECT™ FOR Xbox 360®
Play the adventure with your whole body or through intuitive gestures using PLAYSTATION®MOVE or KINECT™. The game can also be enjoyed without the Playstation Move motion controller or the Kinect sensor.

HIGH-QUALITY GAMEPLAY & VISUALS
Developed in close collaboration with the filmmaking team for over a year and a half, the video game features high-quality graphics, environments, characters and gameplay in line with the movie’s innovative graphics and production.

Reviews:
So is Tintin worth your purchase? Ironically, if you are over 12 probably not. While it can be fun, most people will find the odd changes of style frustrating and the best bits too simple. Still, if you have young kids and they enjoyed the film they will likely love the opportunity to relive the adventure.

Overall Tintin isn't a failure but it certainly isn't a huge success. Young gamers will enjoy the cute touches and the basic combat but even older children may find it lacking bite

2,5/5

http://whatculture.com/gaming/xbox-360-review-the-adventures-of-tintin-the-secret-of-the-unicorn.php

The Secret of the Unicorn has its faults, and the Tintin purists currently grumbling about the Spielberg/Jackson film will find even more to grumble about here, but on balance it’s an excellent family action game. It looks and sounds great, the single-player campaign is 90 per cent brilliant to 10 per cent poor, and the co-op multiplayer is exceptionally good. Hardcore gamers will find meatier fare elsewhere, but if you’re looking for a game to enjoy with the kids, you really can’t do much better.

8/10

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tinti..._Games_review_graphics-and-multiplayer_Page-2

The Adventures of Tintin is a disappointment but perhaps my expectations should have been lower in the first place. It's short and lacking in gameplay depth, but has moments where you'll be fooled into thinking it's all right. Visually it at least has style if not technical excellence, but underneath is a fairly typical licensed title.

5/10

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/the_adventures_of_tintin_secret_of_the_unicorn/review.html

It's annoying that Unicorn works so hard to undermine itself sometimes, but in the end, it's hardly a fatal flaw. The game's best levels can be truly brilliant, like a co-op stage that twists and rebuilds itself around you as you move from one switch to the next, or a sneak through the oily decks of the Karaboudjan that plays like Metal Gear Solid 2 directed by Chuck Jones.

Its worst moments, meanwhile, tend to be dull rather than actually frustrating, and are always out of the way fairly quickly, too. It's not perfect, perhaps, and the whole thing feels pretty slight, but The Secret of the Unicorn's clever and deeply charming - a Tintin game for everybody, and not just the super-fans.

7/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...intin-the-secret-of-the-unicorn-review?page=2

Videos:
3DS Walkthrough
PC Walkthrough

It looks like a title running on the Telltale engine...

FoneBone

Gotta say, it looks pretty okay on the 3DS. Loving the music. Might not be a bad option to pick up when there's no big releases around.

Shiggy

FoneBone said:
Back in June:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28353419&postcount=16

Then you bumped the thread a full month later solely to post this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29229166&postcount=32

Did Telltale, like, murder your dog?

lol
Didn't remember saying it twice already. But well, Telltale games look cheap, and so does this game. I don't see any other games that could be compared to Tintin when it comes to visuals that are as popular as Telltale games.

Lijik said:
Can a mod change the thread title to "Telltale ran over Shiggy's dog Milou"?

Who's Milou? Edit: Struppi

I find the title of this thread offensive.

Why?

Shiggy

Famassu said:
You made a thread about a Tintin game and don't even know who Milou is. :| For realz. :| :| :|

Didn't know it was related to Tintin, a quick Google result tells me he's Tintin's dog. Tintin & Milou have different names in my country (Tim & Struppi).

Famassu

Shiggy said:
Didn't know it was related to Tintin, a quick Google result tells me he's Tintin's dog. Tintin & Milou have different names in my country (Tim & Struppi).
Ah, sorry, didn't think about that, given that Milou is Milou even in my language's Tintin translations.

Carry on.

hitoshi

I finished it yesterday. It was very fun at first but got old really, really fast: it follows the Ubisoft game making process. Basically founding the game on two, max three things and then recycling it over and over again - looooong platforming, little driving scene, a cutscene and the cycle then repeats itself.

Not to mention that it looks absolutely terrible on Xbox 360 and given some levels and the overall gameplay, I would say (and would wager on) that it was based on the Prince of Persia 1 remake Gameloft did on XBLA several years ago - it must be the same engine, because apart from the setting and the lack of swordfights, it looks and plays the same.

Empty

hitoshi said:
I finished it yesterday. It was very fun at first but got old really, really fast: it follows the Ubisoft game making process. Basicly founding the game on two, max three things and then recycling it over and over again - looooong platforming, little driving scene, a cutscene and the cycle then repeats itself.

Not to mention that it looks absolutely terrible on Xbox 360 and given some levels and the overall gameplay, I would say (and would wager on) that it was based on the Prince of Persia 1 remake Gameloft did on XBLA several years ago - it must be the same engine, because apart from the setting and the lack of swordfights, it looks and plays the same.

any impressions on the christophe heral soundtrack?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A friend of mine played through the game a day or two ago (whenever it came out in Europe, anyway, some time this week) and sent me this review:

Mainly, the game is a 2D platforming game, it's really easy in terms of timing and such, but it's still pretty fun to play. There's quite a bit of variety there, there's some collectibles (crabs with golden claws) if you explore a bit more, and there's enemies to take out, some of which require you to do a bit more than just punch them. You mostly play as TinTin himself, but there are parts where you play as snowy. It's hard to describe in general though what makes the platforming good, best I can do is say that it 'feels' right. It might be a result of the animations or something, but it's pretty fun to play. I also liked the fact that with certain weapons you pick up in levels, you can create chains of events to take out baddies. Throwing a banana peel on the ground so one badguy slams into several others for instance, or picking up a torch and setting a guy on fire who then sets a casket of TNT on fire.

The other parts of the game, more minigames than anything really, have you flying a plane or driving/shooting from a motorcycle. Neither of those are very good, but they don't last very long, and they're not so bad that they would annoy you anyway. There's also some scenes where Haddock imagines himself to be his French ancestor, fighting against Rackham's pirates. The sword fighting is pretty fun, and is more than just ramming buttons, but nothing an experienced gamer would have any difficulty with. Still, more challenging than sword fighting in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood!

In terms of presentation, I thought the game was rather excellent. While it's obvious they didn't have an Assassin's Creed level budget to work with, they did very well, the art style is fantastic and fits TinTin really well, it looks and feels like TinTin, and due to it not having state of the art graphics, the game runs very well. The music and sound effects are excellent as well (though I would've loved it if they had the cartoon intro theme in there :p).

It took me about 4-4.5 hours to finish the game, which isn't very long (and thus, wouldn't advise anyone to pick this up at full price), but there's a very nice brisk pace to it, so at least they were generally a pretty good four and a half hours. The story I didn't really love, I thought it a bit of an awkward mix between the Crab with the Golden Claws and the Secret of the Unicorn, and tiny bits from Red Rackham's Treasure. Mild spoilers: There's no Prof. Calculus, no diving for the wreck. The story still wasn't bad, but I was hoping for more, because the two Unicorn books are some of my favourite TinTin books.

One last thing to note I thought is that the game just feels polished. I didn't run into a single bug and load times were brief.

Overall: Worth playing, but not at full price. 7/10.

I excised comments about the voice acting from the review because the friend in question played the game in Dutch and I assume most people here are intending to play in English or French. Not sure what platform he played it on.

I would really appreciate French language impressions from anyone playing. I plan to pick up the game at some point and my preference would be to play in French, but if the French version is shitty, I guess I'll stick with English.

hitoshi

Empty said:
any impressions on the christophe heral soundtrack?

I didn't know that he was responsible for it! It's very very good, but very underused - 2 or 3 melodies are used mostly.

Shiggy

hitoshi said:
I finished it yesterday. It was very fun at first but got old really, really fast: it follows the Ubisoft game making process. Basically founding the game on two, max three things and then recycling it over and over again - looooong platforming, little driving scene, a cutscene and the cycle then repeats itself.

It runs on the LyN engine, originally produced for BG&E2 and then also used in Rabbids Go Home.

Randy

Stumpokapow said:
A friend of mine played through the game a day or two ago (whenever it came out in Europe, anyway, some time this week) and sent me this review:

I excised comments about the voice acting from the review because the friend in question played the game in Dutch and I assume most people here are intending to play in English or French. Not sure what platform he played it on.

Coming from Belgium, I'm curious if the Dutch voice-acting is any good? Is it Netherlands-Dutch or Flemish-Dutch? Definitely interested in playing the PC-version.

hitoshi

Shiggy said:
It runs on the LyN engine, originally produced for BG&E2 and then also used in Rabbids Go Home.

Thank you very much, but are you sure about BGE&E2? Because then it must be a really rough / barebone version, or the 360 / PS3 was ported directly from the Wii build, because, and i don't want to bash it, but it looks like a Wii game. And not a pretty one!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Randy said:
Coming from Belgium, I'm curious if the Dutch voice-acting is any good? Is it Netherlands-Dutch or Flemish-Dutch? Definitely interested in playing the PC-version.

The best thing about the presentation though I thought was the quality of the Dutch localization, for the most part the voices sounded the same as they did in the cartoon, I reckon they probably used the same voice actors for the most part, though sadly not for Thomson and Thompson.

I don't speak Dutch nor have I watched the cartoon in Dutch but the friend is Dutch, not Flemish, so I'm guessing it's Dutch-Dutch. ;)

ArjanN

Seems like your typical average licensed game that could have had potential if they had another year to work on it and didn't have to rush it out along with the movie.

Shiggy

hitoshi said:
Thank you very much, but are you sure about BGE&E2? Because then it must be a really rough / barebone version, or the 360 / PS3 was ported directly from the Wii build, because, and i don't want to bash it, but it looks like a Wii game. And not a pretty one!

I don't really know. The team started this title in fall 2008 when BGE2 was canned, thus it should've been a bit better in general. Might've been a typical Ubisoft cycle of developing a full game and then restarting it.

Empty

hitoshi said:
I didn't know that he was responsible for it! It's very very good, but very underused - 2 or 3 melodies are used mostly.

thanks. it's a shame there aren't more tracks then, but maybe he was focusing his resources on making more music for rayman origins.

18-Volt

6BEPu.jpg

Best Tintin related game ever. It featured stories 5 of the books and allowed us to control Dupond's desert Jeep, Moon tank and Carreidas' Jet. Also, there was an awesome gorilla boss fight!

Goldrusher

Randy said:
Er zijn Vlaamse stemmen, waaronder Michael Pas als Kuifje, die we nog kennen uit geweldige tekenfilmreeks.
In de film is het dan weer jammergenoeg Jelle Cleymans.

Tizoc

Is this a disc release or downloadable? If it's the latter I'll wait for a price drop.
Note to self:
REDREAD THE BOOKS THE MOVIE IS BASED ON BEFORE WATCHING THE MOVIE

Temrer

Neo Member
Can anybody vouch for the UK voice-acting? Apparently Tintin is voiced by the same guy who did Shulk in Xenoblade - anyone know if he did a good job or not?

Randy

Goldrusher said:
Er zijn Vlaamse stemmen, waaronder Michael Pas als Kuifje, die we nog kennen uit geweldige tekenfilmreeks.
In de film is het dan weer jammergenoeg Jelle Cleymans.

That's awesome news, thanks Gold. Gonna pick this one up then.

Backflip

Stumpokapow said:
I would really appreciate French language impressions from anyone playing. I plan to pick up the game at some point and my preference would be to play in French, but if the French version is shitty, I guess I'll stick with English.

I reviewed the French version and I must say that the voice acting was pretty decent. Tintin sounds more like he did in the cartoon series than in the new movie and that's a big plus for me. I didn't really feel Haddock's voice at first but you get used to it.

Am looking forward to this and Rayman Origins. Retail releases of 2D platformers on the HD consoles are a bit of a rarity nowadays so I will take what I get.

Shiggy

Tizoc said:
Is this a disc release or downloadable? If it's the latter I'll wait for a price drop.
Note to self:
REDREAD THE BOOKS THE MOVIE IS BASED ON BEFORE WATCHING THE MOVIE

Budget retail release.
49.99€ - 360/PS3
39.99€ - Wii/3DS
29.99€ - PC

Damn, I just tried the demo for this and it's really good. Production values seem quite high, great music, good platforming and generally a fun experience. Will consider buying this I think.

The game looks great too on the PC.

watkinzez

This was pretty good! All the 3D sections are various degrees of mediocre, but they're easy enough to blast through to get to the meat of the game, the 2D platforming. Everything in these levels seem well thought out, and while it never gets as creative as Mario Galaxy, the way that it flows makes it a real joy to play. Even the combat is done fairly well, throwing you into an arena with a 5 or so goons and encouraging you to crawl under floorboards and clamber through scaffolding to take them out from behind.

Christophe Heral's score is fairly understated, but I noticed he took a few cues from the soundtrack to the animated series with some instrument choices. I started grinning like crazy when he pulled out the drum and piano during some of the stealth sections.

Oh, and there was a section in the credits called "Tintin First Team" which listed a few people including Michel Ancel, so it seems like Shiggy was right that the project was restarted at some point. Perhaps the original vision was something more open ended, but they ultimately did a good job with the constraints.

Tizoc

Got the game a few days ago and started playing it.
Overall it's not bad, it's a fun simple platformer IMO, altho not knowing what are bottomless pits tends to irritate me lol.
Currently in Bagghar (Beggar?) stage, and the controls are very good. It's not a bad game and I think it would've sold better if it were a digital release initially.

Top Bottom