• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bard's Tale - IGN review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/558/558945p1.html?fromint=1

9.0 Presentation
Lots of laughs and a great story. The set-up is solid and there's never a lull in the entire 20-plus hours of play.
8.0 Graphics
Great-looking environments sell the world. The character's look good, but don't have a very wide rang of animations.
8.0 Sound
Elwes rocks as the Bard and the supporting cast is also solid. The score is very minimal, but at least the songs sung to the Bard are worth multiple listens.
7.5 Gameplay
The story and adventure bits are great and the magic system is very smart. There's a bit too much running around waiting to cast spells and the combat is often very unbalanced.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
A lengthy adventure that's more satisfying than either Baldur's Gate. While the combat gets repetitive, you'll play to the end because the Bard is so damn funny.
8.2 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

""Why do you people always put the lever in front of the gate you're trying to protect instead of behind the gate where people can't get at it?" This is one of the Bard's many observations as he reacts much like a gamer might during an RPG. Some of the stupid things enemies do, the places heroes must visit, and the idea of a "Chosen One" are all ripped on with glee. There is so much humor and such a great sense of wit, I highly recommend The Bard's Tale to anyone who has even the slightest sense of humor.

The combat is a bit prohibitive and really knocks down the overall score quite a bit, but the story and laughs are well worth some of the tedious bouts of battle. The Bard's Tale is easily the funniest game I've ever played, and I've played all the funny games out there. Sorry Conker, step aside Earthworm Jim, adios Master Chief you cad, the Bard is funnier than all of you.

I hope inXile can get a sequel together. With a more refined combat system -- preferably with more combos or at least less abusive AI -- the next Bard's Tale could become a true classic."

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I'm looking forward to trying it out. Ironic humor, after all, can fall flat on its face if it's "off" (i.e. Voodoo Vince).

AeroGod

More funny then Anachronox? You have my attention now, Ill definatly be picking it up to put it to the test.

Meier

88A3B4AF-292D-44B1-B3FA-4C90BFD0E702.gif

Them be some tigole bitties.

Top Bottom