• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cos gets pissed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=494&u=/ap/20040701/ap_en_tv/cosby_comments_4&printer=1

Bill Cosby (news) went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

Choose the best handheld gadgets and give your tired thumbs a break. Plus, a few functional fashion tips.

He also had harsh words for struggling black men, telling them: "Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."

Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them. He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street," Cosby said during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference.

"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Cosby elaborated Thursday on his previous comments in a talk interrupted several times by applause. He castigated some blacks, saying that they cannot simply blame whites for problems such as teen pregnancy and high school dropout rates.

"For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around," he said. "Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you're sitting in."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.

"When you put on a record and that record is yelling `n----- this and n----- that' and you've got your little 6-year-old, 7-year-old sitting in the back seat of the car, those children hear that," he said.

He also condemned black men who missed out on opportunities and are now angry about their lives.

"You've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you're (earning) minimum wage," Cosby said. "You should have thought more of yourself when you were in high school, when you had an opportunity."

Cosby appeared Thursday with the Rev. Jesse Jackson (news - web sites), founder and president of the education fund, who defended the entertainer's statements.

"Bill is saying let's fight the right fight, let's level the playing field," Jackson said. "Drunk people can't do that. Illiterate people can't do that."

Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.

"Dogs, water hoses that tear the bark off trees, Emmett Till," he said, naming the black youth who was tortured and murdered in Mississippi in 1955, allegedly for whistling at a white woman. "And you're going to tell me you're going to drop out of school? You're going to tell me you're going to steal from a store?"

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

"Let them talk," he said.

Damn...that's harsh. But I have to say, I agree with him. I'm white, and 29, and right now am not in a very good place in life (but that will change). Though I did have some bad things happen to me, I have only myself to blame.

I'm glad he's standing up for himself, and telling others to look in the mirror, and stop trying to blame "whitey". I grew up poor and in the ghetto, and I don't try to blame blacks for how my life turned out.

Teddman

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."
That's pretty damn funny, to be honest. "I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk... and then I heard the father talk." LOL

I know it's not a comedy routine and he's being serious, but this is some of the most edgiest material Cosby has done in years!

SKluck

Banned
Eh, I don't know. It's not so cut and dry. I don't know his history or how he started, but it is pretty easy to say that when he is sitting on bags of cash.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Man, this thread just keeps coming back! What is this, three times now?

Not that I mind, the more pub Cosby's comments get, the better.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
"When you put on a record and that record is yelling `n----- this and n----- that'

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

If you guys have ever seen Eddie Murphy's "Raw", then you'll know why I'm dying here. That quote is beyond rich.

Btw: I agree with everything he said.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
SKluck said:
Eh, I don't know. It's not so cut and dry. I don't know his history or how he started, but it is pretty easy to say that when he is sitting on bags of cash.

he made it on his own in a time where it was pratically impossible for a black guy to make it.

i'd say he has a right to talk about this sort of thing.

SyNapSe

Teddman said:
That's pretty damn funny, to be honest. "I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk... and then I heard the father talk." LOL

haha, that paragraph made me laugh also. Even if you didn't agree with his views the guy clearly has a lot of passion on the subject.

Brannon

Thumbs up to Cosby.

I like how it's looks like a really long version of that one episode with Cosby and Malcolm-Jamaal Warner talking about college over monopoly money. I don't want to butcher the final few quotes, but damn it was beyond funny.

EdLuva

DJ Brannon said:
Thumbs up to Cosby.

I like how it's looks like a really long version of that one episode with Cosby and Malcolm-Jamaal Warner talking about college over monopoly money. I don't want to butcher the final few quotes, but damn it was beyond funny.

Yeah, but Theo could live off of bologna and cereal.

bjork

DJ Brannon said:
Thumbs up to Cosby.

There's just one problem.

What's that?

You haven't EATEN yet!

I can live on bologna and cereal.

Do you plan to have a girlfriend?

For sure!

:all money is taken away:

Guzim

This is probably the best Cosby Show quote ever.

Theo: I mean, you're a doctor, Dad. And Mom is a lawyer. But I don't love you any more because of that! So if I just want to do something normal with my life, then maybe you should accept it and love me because I'm your son.
Cliff: Theo... that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life! No wonder you get D's in everything! You're afraid to try because you're afraid your brain is going to explode and it's going to ooze out of your ears. Now I'm telling you, you are going to try as hard as you can. And you're going to do it because I said so. I am your father. I brought you into this world, and I'll take you out!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Guzim said:
This is probably the best Cosby Show quote ever.

Theo: I mean, you're a doctor, Dad. And Mom is a lawyer. But I don't love you any more because of that! So if I just want to do something normal with my life, then maybe you should accept it and love me because I'm your son.
Cliff: Theo... that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life! No wonder you get D's in everything! You're afraid to try because you're afraid your brain is going to explode and it's going to ooze out of your ears. Now I'm telling you, you are going to try as hard as you can. And you're going to do it because I said so. I am your father. I brought you into this world, and I'll take you out!

HOLY SHIT, that was arguably one of the best moments in TV let alone the show... that had me crying

What made it even better is that the audience clapped for what Theo had to say, so when he goes "that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life," he's saying it to all the dumbasses in the audience as well.

By the way, yes, Cosby has all this cash, but he's also the largest living donor to the United Negro College Fund and gives to a ton of other charities. He and his wife seem to truly care about education.

~Cris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom