• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The desert island console

Lets say you have been exiled to a remote desert island. The sentence is for your entire life.
However the island will have a nice HD TV and you will be able to bring one gaming console.
What console would you bring? Remember, this is IT...your only console...unless you can fenangle someone to ship to a remote desert island not on any map.
So, you'll also want to bring a collection of games. However due to new restrictions stemming from the war on terror you'll be allowed no more than 20 games.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Probably a gamecube, being the monkey ball nut I am (assuming we're being stranded like... today. not a year from now).

Games:
Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Pikmin 2
Melee
Timesplitters 2
Zelda Bonus Disk (TOoT and MM bitches)
Wind Waker
SSX3
Four Swords
A tony hawk game

and then 10 more :) I dunno, I was spending too much time thinking about it.

doncale

Banned
this isnt easy.... IBL also.

I'd choose Dreamcast so i could get on the internet and play games :D

well, Xbox and PS2 can do that too. so...

Ecrofirt

if I couldn't bring my modded Xbox with my NES, SNES, and Genesis collections... hmm...

I'd bring an NES with Zelda, SMB, and 18 other top notch titles.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Modded Xbox (with the mod chip being one of those switchable ones) loaded with roms for everything up to N64. Add to that a lifetime subscription to XBL and you are absolutely set.

XBox with a mod chip sounds like a winner, but mostly for its roms of classic titles.
The xbox library itself is hugely lacking in what I'm looking for as a gamer for a desert island console.
I'd need games like ICO, Ratchet and Clank: GC, Gradius V, Sly 2, Viewtiful Joe, Gran Turismo 3(or better yet 4!), Symphony of the Night etc.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Heliocentric said:
XBox with a mod chip sounds like a winner, but mostly for its roms of classic titles.
The xbox library itself is hugely lacking in what I'm looking for as a gamer for a desert island console.
I'd need games like ICO, Ratchet and Clank: GC, Gradius V, Sly 2, Viewtiful Joe, Gran Turismo 3(or better yet 4!), Symphony of the Night etc.

Eh, how many times could you keep on playin games like ICO and Viewtiful Joe over and over again?

Modded Xbox is the clear "winner" just because you can have HUNDREDS of games to play on one system.

-_- @ the peeps saying "MODDED XBOX + ROMS HARHEE."

Dreamcast

1. Jet Grind Radio
2. Chu Chu Rocket
3. NFL 2K1
4. NBA 2K1
5. NHL 2K2
6. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - ultimate time waster
7. Sonic Adventure
8. Daytona USA
9. Phantasy Star Online v. 2 - yeah, even though it'd be 1P
10. Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2
11. The Next Tetris - ugh, shit version but I'd need classic Tetris
12. Fire Pro Wrestling D
13. Shenmue 2
14. Tennis 2K2
15. Seaman - so I won't be completely lonely
16. Bangai-O
17. NBA Showtime
18. Space Channel 5
19. Demolition Racer: No Exit - need crashing cars...
20. Samba de Amigo - just so Buddy won't bite my head off

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
you can't bring a modded Xbox, you bitches, cause it'll hold hundreds of games and the whole point is is to bring only about 20 on your favorite platform :)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'd take an n-gage and sidetalk my way off that screwy island.

but to answer the question properly, i'd choose ps2 without much hesitation. you'd have access to its superior library as well as the ps1's, and between them they have a pretty healthy selection of classic arcade ports and compilations. choosing 20 games would be hard, though.

nitewulf

i'd take a woman, some ganja and a shitload of rum. i'd also take all my music thats in my hard drive and my laptop and my pc sound system. i'd power all that with a rigged up system that will draw power from coconut juice.

GDGF

Soothsayer
You bastard....

Tough one, but I'd bring a NDS (with an unnatural neverending energy supply), assuming I was stranded about two or three years into the NDS's life. That way, I could have some great N64 conversions (Mario 64, Goldeneye), a shit load of GBA games (like RPG's and the like), some great SNES conversions (Mario forever!) and the NES Classic series (old school Zelda and Zelda II, baby!)

It's all good :)

MC Safety

Sigh.

Xbox.

Kotor I and II
Burnout 3
Fable
ToeJam and Earl III
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Soul Calibur II
Tony Hawk 2X
Def Jam: Fight for New York
The Simpsons (The good one, not Road Rage)
Max Payne
Halo
OddWorld: Munch's Oddysee
Rocky Legends
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Silent Hill 2X
Grand Theft Auto Double Pack
Panzer Dragoon Orta
ESPN Baseball (20xx)

DCX

DCX
I would bring a Dreamcast:

1- Sonic Adventure
2- Sonic Adventure 2
3- Crazy Taxi
4- Soul Calibur
5- Shenmue
6- Skies of Arcadia
7- Grandia II
8- NBA Showtime
9- Marvel VS Capcom 2
10- Chu Chu Rocket
11- Tokyo Extreme Racer 2
12- Puyo Puyo 4
13- Virtua Tennis
14- Seaman
15- NFL Blitz 2000
16- Daytona USA
17- V-Rally
18- Maximum Pool
19- Worms Armageddon
20- Ready 2 Rumble Boxing

DCX

The department of homeland security will be checking all XBOX HDs and if you are found with hundreds of ROMS you will be shot execution style as per executive edict.
You have just a few more than 20? off to Abu Graihb with you.

Bear in mind there's no need to buy whack dating sims to bring along. The women on this island are of a very different culture. They walk around in the nude and enjoy promiscuous sexual excursions with men who bring them goods, or often merely whomever is around them when they 'feel the urge to merge'. So, I'd suggest bringing things for trade like flashlights and machette's and they like drugs too-- but tehy already have plenty of drugs, unheard of psychedellic drugs9that they are happy to share, with you)

I suppose broadband could be set up. The problem is you'd beed an N-Gage to call the cable company and to convince them to wire you up and paying them to do that way off on a remote desert island would be something only a few elite billionaires would be able to afford. Worse yet you'd be stuck with an N-Gage and no XBOX in that scenario.

Now if you just bring an Ngage and call up some vigilantes for hire I assure you it will not be pretty. The villagers have been instructed to accost and hang from trees any interlopers until the harvest ritual when the eating of all outside intruders will commence and you who has had this trip set up will be forced to eat your supposed rescuers with the rest of the villa of these noble yet obtuse wonderkinds who have a nice hut with an HD TV and one extra outlet open for you to plug in one console. as long as you don't sic some muscle for hire on their a-holes.

callous

Well, that kinda changes everything, doesn't it. I'd still go with a PS2, but I'll have to think about the games. So difficult!

Oxymoron

I'd take a SNES

Chrono Trigger
FFIII (VI)
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Tetris Attack
Kirby Superstar
Secret of Mana
Earthbound